Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To just throw them down the dump?

(13 Posts)
Hisnamesblaine Tue 19-Sep-17 21:43:40

Posted a sofa, bookcase, coffee table and large baby proof fireguard on local free seeking sites. All FREE but needed to be collected. All well used items but still life in them..... esp for someone starting out in a new home. AIBU TO expect people to read the post and not ask for delivery....... or for me to wait days/weeks until they are ready to collect? I specifically posted on free sites to give someone a helping hand. But I'm being made to feel guilty that it will cost the recipient money to pay a white van man to pick up? Also the waiting hours/days for responses? I feel bad for now wanting to take it all down to the dump as it's causing me hassel plus I'm running out of room in.my house!!!

SnowBallsAreHere Tue 19-Sep-17 21:45:43

Can you ask a charity to collect them? BHF usually offer his service. The sofa will need to have a fire label still attached.

Anecdoche Tue 19-Sep-17 21:47:29

some people are just utter pisstakers sadly.

Putyourdamnshoeson Tue 19-Sep-17 21:47:54

Yanbu some people properly rip the piss.
Give it another try. Put COLLECTION ONLY NO HOLDS.
Contact BHF at the same time.

endofthelinefinally Tue 19-Sep-17 21:49:56

BHF will take everything but the sofa.
If nobody else will take the sofa offer it to an animal charity.
They often take old furniture because the rescued animals appreciate an old sofa to sit on.
According to my sister who works for one such organisation.

Hisnamesblaine Tue 19-Sep-17 21:59:55

Oh I like.the animal charity idea! Just bugs me that people get arsey when they see me communicate with whoever asks a question. Like it's defiantly there's even tho they aren't sure if they can get van/trailer etc. I just want rid now.......... BHS can't pick up for a week!

Jellybean85 Tue 19-Sep-17 22:00:41

You couch contact a charity, to be honest though I used to work for Housing and the sad irony was that people starting over in desperate situations often didn't have cars or the connections or money to organise collection sad it's a shame because the people who need the kindness most can't come get it!! A charity can probably pick up for you flowers

melj1213 Tue 19-Sep-17 22:04:57

This is why so many posts on my town's local free sites say things like "All free. Collection Only. Must be gone by Friday or going to the tip" because if you don't give people a deadline then they will take the piss and you end up storing things indefinitely.

Also I have been known to put stuff on my local selling sites at a nominal price (£5/10) and then when people have come to collect I have refused payment because for some reason people seem to feel more motivated if there's money on the line

Hisnamesblaine Tue 19-Sep-17 22:37:34

Yeh I just wanted someone to catch a break. I suppose I figured paying £20 or so for man with a van to furnish your whole front room would still work out well for someone. They are all making me feel so guilty... even asking if I can pay for delivery and they will of me back. I mean W.T.A.F?

SezziBaybee Tue 19-Sep-17 23:28:48

This happens alot and you are definitely not being unreasonable. I agree with others, set a deadline otherwise you will end up holding stuff forever.

melj1213 Wed 20-Sep-17 00:06:00

Yep, it's one thing if you post something and they ask if you can keep hold of it for a few days (and you have the space/ability to keep it) because they have access to a van but need a day or two to organise collection at a convenient time in both your schedules or they don't get paid until the following day so they can't pay for a van until then ... it's another when they want you to hold onto something indefinitely while they sort themselves out and then never get back to you instead of giving it to someone who has the means to take it right there and then.

Hisnamesblaine Wed 20-Sep-17 00:43:58

Its the guilt they put me under when I explain i want it gone to the first available person who can collect..... that's what annoys me

subsy1a Wed 20-Sep-17 01:28:47

I tried to give a chess computer away on Freecycle, three times people asked for it and didn't turn up. I then put it on Gumtree for £20 and the first person who got in touch turned up within twenty minutes and paid for it! I guess people don't value free stuff?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now