Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to tell DD she can no longer play the violin and has to pick something else? (She sounds fucking horrific!)

(123 Posts)
hoppitybob Tue 19-Sep-17 19:26:07

Help. I'm absolutely hating it. Awful sound, it's screeching in my ear, even when she is taking a break!! She loves it, but my God, I can't take anymore.

Piano, guitar, etc. fine. I wish the violin was never on offer to her.

WIBU to say she can pick any other instrument she likes? It's been 9 months and it sounds the exact same, but that awful sound is just making a sort of tune...

TurquoiseChevrotain Tue 19-Sep-17 19:34:29

Oh dear

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 19-Sep-17 19:35:21

I presume she is getting lessons?

KurriKurri Tue 19-Sep-17 19:36:11

Not if she loves it you can't grin - You'll have to get earplugs.

Iheartjordanknight Tue 19-Sep-17 19:37:16

Is she going to be able to do anything else if she hasn't picked up the violin in 9 months of lessons?

Winteriscomingneedmorewood Tue 19-Sep-17 19:37:30

I feel your pain.
Ds ocarina used to get lost on a Friday and found on a Monday morning!!

LittleCandle Tue 19-Sep-17 19:37:40

There's nothing worse than someone learning to play the violin. Thing is, it can take a long time to master. I was so bad at it that the cat used to sit close by and bat the end of the bow! It does need perseverance. I hated my violin teacher, so gave it up I expect throwing the bow at her was not the best idea I ever had and concentrated on my other instruments. You might just need to buy ear plugs. What does her teacher say about her progress?

ooerrmissus Tue 19-Sep-17 19:37:58

All instruments sound like torturing cats for the first few months. If she loves it, and is practicing, she'll soon get over that stage and it will become vaguely musical.

If you make her switch, you'll have tortured cats all over again while she learns a new one.

But yourself some ear plugs. And gin.

TurquoiseChevrotain Tue 19-Sep-17 19:38:28

@Iheartjordanknight bit harsh! The violin is incredibly hard to get a 'perfect' sound. The OP said 'but is making a sort of tune' so I assume she has improved?

OP, get over it. She's your kid and enjoys it.

Iheartjordanknight Tue 19-Sep-17 19:39:23

I was imagining a painful screech over and over tbh 😂

MrsJayy Tue 19-Sep-17 19:39:26

There was 2 girls dd went to school who played all through primary -secondary and they never sounded better ever they were picked to play at everything and honestly they were horrific. Give it to the 12 months sell the violin and never speak of it again

Twofishfingers Tue 19-Sep-17 19:39:35

I remember telling DS that he could choose any instrument, apart from the violet because it reminded me of fighting cats. Do you really want to know what instruments he picked instead? The trumpet and the drums. The Trumpet. honestly count yourself lucky.

LittleWitch Tue 19-Sep-17 19:40:45

After about six weeks of hell, we made DS2 switch to the saxophone.

doodlejump1980 Tue 19-Sep-17 19:41:25

As a violin teacher you have my sympathies. 9 months and it sounds the same though? You have either practice issues (not focusing on sound/bow control) or a tutor issue, she should have made some progress in 9 months! Suggest she does some plucking practice and plays without the bow for a wee while?

SheepyFun Tue 19-Sep-17 19:48:55

ooerrmissus that simply isn't true. Flute/piano/guitar don't sound like tortured cats at any stage, and I'm reliably informed that the trombone sounds like a dying cow (whether or not this is preferable is debatable).

I'm told that it takes until about grade 5 to play a violin properly in tune - and I was told that by a competent violinist.

Should DD want to learn an instrument, she needs to be able to carry it herself (piano excepted, but she's definitely not learning the harp), and it's not going to have strings....

NooNooHead Tue 19-Sep-17 19:50:49

I played the violin from aged 8 to 16 and almost got to grade 5 before I sold it and gave it up. I did pretty well to make a good sound out of it at the end, but it took years and it was really hard at first.

When I sold it, I got a local violin maker to retune and adjust the bridge position etc to maximise the sound - it made such a difference! I was amazed that it sounded like a totally different instrument- I almost sounded professional when I played it again!

In a way, I wished I hadn't given it up after that but it was worth persevering for all those years to get to that level. 😝😬

Encourage your daughter - she obviously enjoys it and it is great to learn an instrument like a violin that is hard to master.

NooNooHead Tue 19-Sep-17 19:52:15

Yes, I would agree with the poster above - unless you are a violin prodigy, it does take until grade 5 to make it sound half decent. It certainly did for me!

MrsJayy Tue 19-Sep-17 19:52:46

1 of mine plays guitar it doesn't sound like a dying anything. The other doesn't play anything she wasn't musical she tried a few instruments i honestly think they need to have an ear for music.

endofthelinefinally Tue 19-Sep-17 19:58:17

I would suggest recorder and piano to start with.
Guitar once you have established she is musical.
Violin is a very difficult instrument as a first.
Once recorder is mastered, it is relatively easy to move to any other wind instrument.
Guitar is a lovely, sociable, comforting instrument. Great for song writing.

ooerrmissus Tue 19-Sep-17 19:59:02

Just my DSs then sheepy. grin

Trombone sounds like a dying elephant until at least Grade 2. You can trust me in this. Neighbours can also bear witness.

eddiemairswife Tue 19-Sep-17 19:59:39

Flute. Sounds lovely.
Some years ago we went to the local music school's Summer concert. One of the items on the programme was 'beginner violins'. They went on and on and on. I thought my husband would die of apoplexy as he attempted to suppress his laughter.

endofthelinefinally Tue 19-Sep-17 19:59:51

And dont forget singing.

PlasticPatty Tue 19-Sep-17 20:00:44

But she might end up playing as beautifully as Martin Hayes plays the fiddle... fiddle and guitar

Ameliablue Tue 19-Sep-17 20:03:01

Listening to dd's practice and thinking should I start an "aibu to think the violin is an awful instrument to learn" thread but when I open mumsnet this is the first thread I see.

strongandlong Tue 19-Sep-17 20:19:03

When I started violin lessons at 8 as part of whole class lessons, we weren't allowed to take our instruments home for quite a while because the teacher had experience of parents pulling their kids out of lessons because they sounded so terrible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now