Talk

Advanced search

About Bike Boy (his dad) and their 'dirt bike'....there's a diagram too.

(55 Posts)
maddiemookins16mum Tue 19-Sep-17 17:42:20

I'm going to keep this factual.
We live in a very quiet cul de sac. Our house in on the corner, two drives (yay) so this isn't a parking aibu.
Please refer to attached (very poor, sorry) diagram for your welcome responses on my aibu.
Our lounge/sitting room etc is at the back of our house.
For the last two years (on occasion, to quantify - that means weekly) bike boy gets on his 'dirt bike' so not a proper bike but one I think is used for 'playing on' and revvs and wheelies this bike on the 'grassy area' behind our house. This is NOT our land. The council (when they can) cut it. It's a large area, the little kids in the close play there on their bikes, chase, etc. Not a problem.

He begins his 'performance' by revving loudly from his house and races down the road (distance of about 10/15 metres and mounts the kerb just to the right of our second drive which has no fence (we are not allowed one).

He then proceeds to wheelie, rev and generally arse around on the ''grassy area'. The noise is horrendous, I hear it in my dreams.

On Sunday this started at 4.30pm. It went on until 7.45pm. Yep, it was dark and he has no lights but he wears a helmet.

He is about 14.

The grassy area to the side of our drive is a mass of churned up grass and tyre marks, as is the road/pavement by the kerb/driveway.

I went out on Sunday night as he was revving and wheeling at 19.13. As I approached Bike Boys House, another neighbour (the people house) was complaing about the noise to Bike Boys dad. I nodded to them and added 'it's actually worse for us as he revvs to get up the kerb onto the grass outside our sitting room window and he's been at it for nearly three hours'.

Was met with foul language from the dad and 'no he's not' etc etc. I went back to my house but I did state it was very anti social and I'd be contacting the local council (I did, via email). The behaviour continued for another half an hour.

Bike Boy's dad leaves for work at 7am, BB goes to school.

I work from home Mon, Wed and Friday. Yesterday at 16.24 it started again. It went on until 9pm. BB and Dad seemed to take it in turns to be even worse with the revving (right by the back of my car which is parked on the rear driveway). I suspect it was on purpose.

Haven't heard anything back from the council, but last night was a bit scary, I'm worried now I've started some big argument.

The revving is going on as I speak outside and I'm awaiting the wheelies to begin.

WIBU to have even mentioned it, the 'grassy area' I assume is public land.

(The cat in the garden is for comedy value).

Pivoine Tue 19-Sep-17 17:46:27

I think a phone call to the council (rather than waiting for them to reply to your email) would be in order. I'm pretty sure that would be considered anti social behaviour.

You have my sympathies.

Pivoine Tue 19-Sep-17 17:47:44

Actually, is it like a mini motorbike? Because I think they may be illegal to ride on public land.

Haudyerwheesht Tue 19-Sep-17 17:48:20

I'd probably report it again useful info

Sounds like they're trying to intimidate you so don't let them.

Pivoine Tue 19-Sep-17 17:48:38

www.west-midlands.police.uk/node/637#

maddiemookins16mum Tue 19-Sep-17 17:56:42

It's not a mini one, he stands on it. I know this sounds as if I'm being a 'pathetic' female but DP is on a course away until Friday so just me and DD (13) home. She knows him but he goes to a different school and they've never 'hung out' as such as he's older than her.

I really wish I'd said nothing now.

overnightangel Tue 19-Sep-17 18:01:38

YANBU X 1000

Public field near my house kids used to play football on (aged maybe 6 to 12), kids used to end up having to leave cos of the little scroats 14/15/16yo on their dirt bikes , doing exactly what you described, intimidating behaviour, churning up the football pitch etc, in the end one Sunday aft local resident called the police and they chased them away. Classed as Anti social behaviour on council owned land I think.

Bike Boy's dad sounds like a tool, I'd be saying next time it happens you're calling 101.
FWIW area I'm in is not some upper middle class NIMBY type area , just regular area with collection of council houses, semis etc, not a case of neighbours being precious, just sick of scallies acting anti socially and their thick parents I shoving them.
Hope you get this sorted I can well imagine how annoying it must be.

Excellent drawing btw smile

LionsTeeth Tue 19-Sep-17 18:01:49

Surely riding any kind of motorised bike without insurance on public land is illegal. Maybe ring 101 to ask about the legality and see what they can do. Sounds like a nightmare OP.

overnightangel Tue 19-Sep-17 18:02:11

*thick parents indulging them

Chatoyant Tue 19-Sep-17 18:02:39

Fab diagram! I can't quite picture the type of bike you mean, is it a quad bike?

LavenderDoll Tue 19-Sep-17 18:05:22

I think it's illegal
Call council until you get an adequate response

LionsTeeth Tue 19-Sep-17 18:08:04

Just done some quick googling and it is indeed illegal to ride dirt bikes on public land. Additionally, to use the bike at all he should have public liability insurance, and even then could only use it on private land with the land owners permission. Definitely report to the police.

maddiemookins16mum Tue 19-Sep-17 18:08:28

No, not a quad bike. I'll google and be back soon (the tea is ready and DD needs to do homework before we have caramel cake and cream for pudding with GBBO).

jaseyraex Tue 19-Sep-17 18:09:11

Ring your councils noise pollution team. Ours is 5pm until 3am and it's considered an out of hours number. They come out assess the noise, issues a warning if it is excessive. Keep calling every time, even if its every night. I had a neighbour on an old street who'd ride up and down on his moped constantly. Nowhere else, just up and down the street! He got three warnings, a fine, and when they said they'd confiscate the offending item, he moved! It was bliss. Just keep calling council/noise team, it's what they're for.

reetgood Tue 19-Sep-17 18:10:36

You don't need a diagram, it's slam dunk illegal. feel free to report (and ask that they don't say who, as the land is overlooked it could be anyone). Would call 101 to report.

www.motox1-atv.co.uk/pages/safety-laws

www.west-midlands.police.uk/node/637

reetgood Tue 19-Sep-17 18:12:58

i should say, the motorised on public land is police illegal. The revving is a noise disturbance/council matter.

Ttbb Tue 19-Sep-17 18:23:10

It was probably unwise to talk to BBs father-what can you really expect from someone who buys that for their son?! Just keep complaining to your council and write to your MO if they fail to do anything about it. Don't engage with BB'sfather. It could get nasty.

OSETmum Tue 19-Sep-17 18:31:56

Call the police, every time. Ds (8) and dh ride motorbikes but only on private land which we pay the landowners to use. People like this give bikers a bad name!

OSETmum Tue 19-Sep-17 18:33:35

See Ttbb's post above. Some of us buy our children motorbikes to teach them to use them properly and compete, ds competes at a national level.

sharklovers Tue 19-Sep-17 18:37:40

Call the police, this is what Section 59 notices are for and the bike will be confiscated.

ijustwannadance Tue 19-Sep-17 18:38:55

You have my sympathy. Teen over the road regularly revving the crap out of his scrambler bike and doing wheelies up and down street. No idea who he is showing off to as no one else his age nearby!

thecakefairy Tue 19-Sep-17 18:49:29

Statutory nuisance (council) or section 59 (police)
If the police catch him on public land without insurance etc, they can seize the bike (praying for you that they do!)
Loved the diagram! ❤️

maddiemookins16mum Tue 19-Sep-17 19:06:58

They've gone in now. Am sure I made things worse on Sunday but that revving is just horrendous.

maddiemookins16mum Tue 19-Sep-17 19:08:27

Feck, literally I spoke too soon. He's back out there, revving next to my (albeit very old Micra).

maddiemookins16mum Tue 19-Sep-17 19:09:26

I can hear the wrist revving now, louder and louder.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now