Talk

Advanced search

Parking in a small cul de sac

(22 Posts)
SpottydogDomino Tue 19-Sep-17 16:30:07

AIBU to think that I have as much right to park in the cul-de-sac as anyone else who actually lives and pays council tax in the street it is part of?

My neighbour's house is on the corner of the cul-de-sac (I am the second house along the main drag), and her drive is actually in the cul-de-sac. She has one car usually on her drive so does not actually use the cul-de-sac to park. Her family who live in the next town have asked me not to park in the cul-de-sac as they need to park off the main drag when visiting.

It is only a short cul-de-sac with room for four cars to legally park, no one else uses it.

My response was that I would try to avoid using the cul-de-sac but I don't want to park my car on the main drag either so may sometimes use it. What I wanted to say was "chuff off" you don't live here.

Bit childish but I am fuming at the cheek!!

DailyMailReadersAreThick Tue 19-Sep-17 16:34:52

God, what is it with these people who think they own the bit of public road outside their house?

YANBU. If she cares that much, she can park her car elsewhere and let her family use her drive.

NataliaOsipova Tue 19-Sep-17 16:34:52

If there's no parking restrictions, then anyone can park on any public road, surely?

PennyLaneFlowers Tue 19-Sep-17 16:37:05

What I wanted to say was "chuff off" you don't live here

Don't say that. It's got nothing to o with who lives where.

Say:

"Chuff off, it's a public road. I'll park where I like"

ShowMePotatoSalad Tue 19-Sep-17 16:37:23

Anyone can park there so long as there are no parking restrictions or permits. And it's nothing to do with living on the street or paying council tax!

Ameliablue Tue 19-Sep-17 16:40:22

Assuming you aren't causing an obstruction, you should be fine to park. I do find living in a cul de sac that people parking don't always consider the need to leave room for maneuvering.

SpottydogDomino Tue 19-Sep-17 16:42:45

The lady next door has lived in her corner house since it was built and her family has sort of taken up a distorted form of "squatter's rights" to the cul-de-sac parking.

I may need to park there at some point over the next 6 weeks or so as we are having building works done and my builder will want our drive for a skip or for his van.

I am dreading it. They will see it as me winding them up. My only alternative is to park half on the pavement as the road is busy and narrow and I think that is an insult to mums with prams or disabled mobility scooter drivers.

SpottydogDomino Tue 19-Sep-17 16:43:49

Sorry not clear...... park half on the pavement on the main drag outside our house.

ShowMePotatoSalad Tue 19-Sep-17 16:45:42

You have been too nice and they're taking the mick. If they question you just say "I don't want to get into a dispute about this but I do have a right to park here and it's something I need to do at the moment." If they kick off say you don't wish to discuss it further, have a good day etc etc.

coddiwomple Tue 19-Sep-17 16:48:35

I have as much right to park in the cul-de-sac as anyone else who actually lives and pays council tax in the street it is part of
I have deleted the part where you are wrong.

I could park in that cul-de-sac if I wanted to, nothing to do with living or paying tax! As long as you are not blocking somebody's way, you are doing nothing wrong. If you were near a train station, commuters would park there and it would be fine. (or school, or whatever)

loobyloo1234 Tue 19-Sep-17 17:02:26

Don't we need a diagram? grin

bigbluebus Tue 19-Sep-17 17:09:15

People get very territorial about parking spaces. They seem to think that just because they have used a space for a certain length of time that it becomes theirs.

krustykittens Tue 19-Sep-17 17:10:09

Unbelievable, the sense of entitlement some people have! You have as much right to park there as they do, OP, don't bother getting into an argument with them or trying to justify why you are parking there.

Androidsdreamofelectricsheep Tue 19-Sep-17 17:15:16

Haha. Cul de sac parking.I lived in a cul de sac for 32 years and no-one seemed to park there unless they lived there or were visiting someone who did.
I have moved round the corner and today three school mums had parked in our cul de sac one right across a corner so it was hard to get in or out. Apparently the previous owner of our house used to go out and tell them to move. I don't think it had any effect as one woman arrived at 2.30 yesterday and ate her lunch while waiting.
Unfortunately cul de sac dwellers have to put up and shut up just like anyone who lives on a 'normal' road.

BewareOfDragons Tue 19-Sep-17 17:19:56

"It's a public road." Repeat as necessary.

Gorygloria Tue 19-Sep-17 17:20:31

I bloody detest people's attempts at proprietary over the road outside their house. 2 of them do it in my street and it's absolutely pathetic.

bimbobaggins Tue 19-Sep-17 17:27:07

It's every man for himself in the cul de sac I live in. People even park in the turning areas making it difficult for other people to manoeuvre. Not me though I am excellent at itgrin

Androidsdreamofelectricsheep Tue 19-Sep-17 17:44:22

Bimbobaggins yes, we did have that problem in our previous road, but they were people who lived there, not people from elsewhere.

SpottydogDomino Tue 19-Sep-17 18:37:08

Sadly no diagram. I shall stake my spot in the cul-de-sac when our building works begin and ride out the dirty looks and curtain twitching and comments that I know I will get from our neighbour's entitled visitors.
Not looking forward to it though.

Maybe I will suggest to the builders that they all park in the cul-de-sac too. Hope they are all built like bodybuilders with attitude!

Androidsdreamofelectricsheep Tue 19-Sep-17 23:06:27

Builders parking in the cul de sac will really get them going.😂

Nettletheelf Tue 19-Sep-17 23:23:05

Get a SKIP in the cul de sac. That will get them frothing at the mouth.

MyOtherProfile Tue 19-Sep-17 23:26:56

Parking in the cul de sac is fine. Parking half on the pavement isn't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now