Talk

Advanced search

To apply for DLA when school are in denial?

(15 Posts)
AutomaticSteeple Tue 19-Sep-17 15:32:33

Ds has a diagnosis of ASD and ADHD, he was diagnosed this year. School have basically denied to my face seeing any problems, he does cope very well at school but loses it at home. During his assessments school reported no problems... I begged them to go into the school and see for themselves which they did and 2 school observations backed up what I see at home.
Anyway I'm filling the DLA form out and I've reached a part about school, if DLA contact school will that stop my application being approved, does anyone have any experience with this? I have no idea why school are in denial to see the obvious

TheHungryDonkey Tue 19-Sep-17 15:38:02

My son's school denied everything. No idea why they do this. But the dla was approved.

thatdearoctopus Tue 19-Sep-17 15:40:14

School have basically denied to my face seeing any problems, he does cope very well at school but loses it at home.

You use the word "denying," as if they're lying about it, but then say he copes very well at school. So maybe they're just reporting what they're seeing.

AutomaticSteeple Tue 19-Sep-17 15:44:15

thatdearoctopus

They told at a parents meeting after he had been diagnosed that they didn't believe it, they had experience of children with those diagnosis and he wasn't anything like that.

They said he has friends, he doesn't. That he doesn't tic or tiptoe walk at school. He does I've seen it and so did CAMHS at his observations

Sirzy Tue 19-Sep-17 15:46:32

I would still apply for DLA

I would also look to move school to one which will acknowledge his needs

ScienceGeekandProud Tue 19-Sep-17 15:53:47

I didnt apply for DLA in the end. However, the school were useless during my childs diagnosis.

I was standing at one end of the corridor, and happened to see my child standing there, in full sobbing-meltdown, whilst the SENCO walked past breezily saying 'everything ok' without stopping. He didnt know I was there, and clearly everything WASNT ok.

They denied any 'unusual' behaviour - despite calling me in on several occasions to discuss strategies to deal with said 'unusual' behaviour.

Hardest two years of my life, going through that diagnostic process.

DixieNormas Tue 19-Sep-17 15:56:24

Apply anyway, do school need to have any input into it? Mine didn't, I gave the paediatricians contact details.

AutomaticSteeple Tue 19-Sep-17 15:59:17

* ScienceGeekandProud*

It's horrendous I know, the diagnosis process for ds lasted 6 years with 3 school changes. At his previous school I was called in to find him sobbing under a bench as he was overloaded, the teacher was not at all understanding and said it was bad behaviour!
I am once again looking for another school but plan to move 200 miles away within the next year so I am holding off a school move at the moment.

Lovemusic33 Tue 19-Sep-17 16:00:44

Your ds has a diagnosis so fuck what the school think or say. You can put down someone else who knows your child as a reference (I always put my mum or her partner down). I don't think my dd's school have ever been contacted by DLA so I wouldn't worry too much, go ahead and fill the forms in and send them off.

TheDodgyEnd Tue 19-Sep-17 16:01:30

The school don't have to have input, I know the page you mean in the forms, I left it blank. Still got approved as had all diagnosis paperwork etc xx

Schroedingerscatagain Tue 19-Sep-17 16:34:32

Hi Automatic

When I first applied for DD's DLA we were in a similar situation with a school denying the problems and even sabotaging an EHCP application

I refused to let dla contact school or her gp, sent all the evidence I had amassed and wrote the report myself

DLA. Was awarded based on my statement alone and medical reports

AutomaticSteeple Tue 19-Sep-17 16:49:51

Hi Schroedingerscatagain

I'll give it a try then and ask school not to be contacted, I was worried if I did that it would be dismissed straight off. I'm not sure why the ask school anyway surely the assessments and diagnosis in black and white from trained professionals should be what matters

DixieNormas Tue 19-Sep-17 17:11:20

For some people having school import is good. It would be ok for us as ds doesn't mast and has developmental delay and challenging behaviour which he also displays at school

I know a few people who didn't bother with the school as they had letters from trained professionals.

We had peas, salt, ssfs so didn't bother putting nursery down as he'd only just started

AutomaticSteeple Tue 19-Sep-17 21:34:59

I've wrote on the form that school are unsupportive CAHMS know this and I'd prefer them not to br contacted, I have included details for CAHMS, SALT, community child health and occupation therapy so I hope that's enough. The form is horrendous, I can't even get my stapler through it, minor issue but annoying by the end of that!

JonSnowsWife Tue 19-Sep-17 22:22:08

YNBU OP. Apply anyway. School's reluctance to accept the obvious will have very little bearing on the application.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now