Talk

Advanced search

To say it is possible

(64 Posts)
Sienna333 Tue 19-Sep-17 12:41:31

(Although rare) for a woman in their early 30's to still look between 17-20 years old? My colleagues say it is impossible but I don't agree and know someone who really does look 17 at 33 years old.

WhatToDoAboutThis2017 Tue 19-Sep-17 13:25:09

Oh it's possible. I'm nearly thirty and get ID'd all the time because people don't think I look over 18 confused

When people mention my age, it varies wildly between 17-21.

And no, it's not a compliment, because people don't take you as a serious adult.

I'm sure when I'm 40 or 50 I'll enjoy my youthful complexion, but right now, no. It's nothing but a nuisance.

Sienna333 Tue 19-Sep-17 13:27:24

Oh I believe you. I don't know why some women get so defensive over the issue as in that women CAN look that young once they are in their thirties.

MumsOnCrack Tue 19-Sep-17 13:28:28

I'm 36 and when I went out at the weekend someone guessed I was 24 confused

purplemunkey Tue 19-Sep-17 13:30:07

I was still getting IDd for alcohol at 34.

FenceSitter01 Tue 19-Sep-17 13:30:09

Yes. Worse, my freind looked 12 when she was 40 . Standing out side the loo's waiting for her DH, someone asked if this was her 'daddy' , habitually refused alcohol in supermarkets even if she had ID, and always got on the bus for free. She's 55 now and still looks 12.

EamonnWright Tue 19-Sep-17 13:32:48

Some places have to ID you regardless if you have a full head of grey hair. Places like Tesco ID if you look under 25 I think.

Sienna333 Tue 19-Sep-17 13:35:01

I bet most of these women discussed here are petite and slim built as well?

One of my best friends gets a "You look 17" comments all the time and hates it. She said it isn't a compliment to get told you look like a child.

MrsStinkey Tue 19-Sep-17 13:36:54

I'm 30 and when I started working at the beginning of the year after having a couple of years out of employed work to be a mummy the girls I was working beside all thought I was the same age as them. They're all still at high school or first/second year at uni. I still get id'd every time I'm out or even if I buy a bottle of wine with my weekly shop and I normally have a school age child and a toddler in tow! My mum took me for dinner for my 30th birthday and the waiter there as me if I was "old enough to drink alcohol" when I ordered a bottle of wine for us. I had to show him my id and he was astounded! Also, recently one of my husbands work colleagues though I was one of his daughters. Hubbys 2 years older than me! It's all down to genes. My mum looks far younger than her 50 years as well!

PerfectlyPooPoo Tue 19-Sep-17 13:37:19

I'm 40 and get told all the time oh you don't look it. But I think it's because I don't act it more than look it wink

DD2 has definitely aged me!

44PumpLane Tue 19-Sep-17 13:38:36

I work with a girl who is 34 and looks to be about 20.

She has a very youthful complexion, big eyes (which I think makes her look younger) and no visible wrinkles.

StevieNicksMirage Tue 19-Sep-17 13:39:02

Everyone on MN claims to look younger than their actual age!

Fruitcocktail6 Tue 19-Sep-17 13:39:11

Well im 27 and still get IDed, so I'm nearly there

WhatToDoAboutThis2017 Tue 19-Sep-17 13:39:36

I bet most of these women discussed here are petite and slim built as well?

Yes, I'm a petite size 8.

I'm happy with the way I look and I know I look young for my age so I'm completely fine when people get it so wildly wrong; we just end up having a laugh about it.

Sienna333 Tue 19-Sep-17 13:43:25

I once mistook a 26 year old for being 14. Luckily she saw the funny side but I was very embarrassed about it and worried I had secretly offended her.

WhatToDoAboutThis2017 Tue 19-Sep-17 13:52:36

Sienna333 Obviously I can only speak for myself and not her, but I only get offended at being mistook for so much younger when people are rude and defensive about it when corrected, or, even worse, refuse to believe my actual age.

Like I say, I mostly have a laugh with people about it, but you do get those who are just twats.

It doesn't sound like you're one of those people though, OP, so I doubt you offended her smile

Sienna333 Tue 19-Sep-17 13:56:34

As soon as I realised how off the mark I was, I apologised and moved onto another subject even though I was very shocked. I can't imagine anyone would be happy at being told they looked 14 when they were well into their twenties.

JemandScout Tue 19-Sep-17 13:57:57

Yes it's possible. I last got ID'd for alcohol when I was 31. No chance these days though grin

BigBrownBoogyinBear Tue 19-Sep-17 14:05:01

I'm 65 and don't look a day over 15. My husband regularly has to check to make sure he's having sex with me and not a random teenager. I got told off outside a school for not being in uniform.
But I really don't like to mention it...

itsbetterthanabox Tue 19-Sep-17 14:09:39

Being ID'd doesn't mean you look under 18. They have to ask if you look under 25 or under 30 depending on which challenge it is.

Birdsgottafly Tue 19-Sep-17 14:17:33

If you look at the actress that plays,Bethany Platt and her Mum and the one who was Chesney's Girlfriend (Katie Mcglynn) and Sam Aston.

They all look like they are wearing make-up to look grown up.

Uptomy late 30's, I could have been between 25 to my actual age. I've had a similar look to Ronnie/Roxy and Kate Moss.

The disgusted looks that I used to get with my three children wasn't great.

WhatToDoAboutThis2017 Tue 19-Sep-17 14:20:40

Being ID'd doesn't mean you look under 18.

No, it doesn't always, but if you're regularly assumed to be under or around that age, you can hazard a pretty good guess that cashiers are making the same assumptions.

MyNeighbourSnorlax Tue 19-Sep-17 14:22:41

I'm 28 and got ID'd buying scissors recently. Also had a client at work ask if I was on work experience!

purplemunkey Tue 19-Sep-17 16:53:10

Agree they gave the 25 rule but TBH I think that's just there to protect staff from people getting shitty about being asked for ID. My partner never got asked, only me.

Not a stealth boast, it's not fun to be treated like a teenager when you're in your 30s. Not taken at seriously at work, worried about being embarrassingly IDd when out with work friends... I can't say I've ever enjoyed looking so young.

I'm 5'2" so agree it likely my 'petite'ness has something to do with it.

Haven't been IDd in a while now (nearly 37) so must have aged a bit in the last few years!

HaudYerWheeshtBawbag Tue 19-Sep-17 16:56:16

I'm early 30's and get asked for ID all the time. Drives me batty!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: