Talk

Advanced search

Teaching your children about Egalitarianism, not just Feminism.

(191 Posts)
Geminian Sun 17-Sep-17 11:00:34

I've just seen a post about a child's T shirt saying Feminism on it, -
although I do see the point and do think it's a lovely idea to promote Feminism - sadly the truth is it will spark up debate with those who are passionate about Feminism (and those who will wonder why on earth you are 'showing off') while you are out shopping which can cause upset while in public and could escalate in front of your children.

My question is, do you really want to put yourself and your children in that situation? And my advice is, why not try "Egalitarianism" instead.

Not many people are aware that there are different types of Feminism as there are different believes but all believe in equality for women, and personally for me, Feminism has been blown out of portion thanks to social media.

Witsender Sun 17-Sep-17 11:02:19

I'm not sure who you think you're teaching here?

SandSnakeOfDorne Sun 17-Sep-17 11:02:23

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Witsender Sun 17-Sep-17 11:02:51

And "blown out of proportion"? You may need to explain that a little more.

WillowWeeping Sun 17-Sep-17 11:05:11

thanks for your advice but I'll pass

reallybadidea Sun 17-Sep-17 11:05:17

Lol @ feminism being a "lovely idea".

ILoveMillhousesDad Sun 17-Sep-17 11:09:20

Wow. Patronising much?

sofato5miles Sun 17-Sep-17 14:20:08

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

alltouchedout Sun 17-Sep-17 14:22:38

Thanks, but I think I'll keep teaching my three sons about feminism. I may order them one of those T shirts.
And if people try to argue with me about it when out and about I will use them as an example of who my dc really avoid emulating.

alltouchedout Sun 17-Sep-17 14:23:11

* should really avoid emulating...

Rumandraisin1 Sun 17-Sep-17 14:24:49

In a week where a woman was attacked in public by multiple men for daring to try to attend a discussion on issues affecting women you think feminism has been blown out of proportion?

BWatchWatcher Sun 17-Sep-17 14:25:30

I suspect the fact that you have written this post op shows you don't actually know what feminism is.

AdalindSchade Sun 17-Sep-17 14:25:32

Tell us, what do you see is the difference between feminism and egalitarianism?

Cavender Sun 17-Sep-17 14:34:41

I could have my daughter wear this t-shirt instead (there are different versions for different races)

OfficerVanHalen Sun 17-Sep-17 14:38:10

Lol at feminism causing upset in public fgs

PacificDogwod Sun 17-Sep-17 14:38:14

Thank goodness, you have just explained that to me!
<falls at OP's knees in gratitude>

PacificDogwod Sun 17-Sep-17 14:38:50

Actually, you deserve more than just a sarky answer.

This is why 'equality' is not enough
Educate yourself.

ghostyslovesheets Sun 17-Sep-17 14:44:33

thanks for edumacting me but I'll pass smile

YouCantArgueWithStupid Sun 17-Sep-17 14:47:16

LOOOOOOOOL!

TheStoic Sun 17-Sep-17 14:47:41

For gods sake this is boring.

Papafran Sun 17-Sep-17 14:48:47

Because so-called 'equality' measures usually favour men and ignore the fact that women start from a position of disadvantage.
Would you take this attitude towards those fighting against racism? Would you say that we should not focus on racism but equality instead, while ignoring that one race is in a position of extreme privilege?

Pengggwn Sun 17-Sep-17 15:05:57

Ooh - spark up debate?! Doesn't bear thinking about hmm

CardsforKittens Sun 17-Sep-17 15:19:29

sofato5miles I'll be looking for one for my son too!

PacificDogwod Sun 17-Sep-17 15:25:16

Ok, I very rarely advance-search any poster, but you seem to have posted once under this user name about surrogacy and now this?? confused

DamnDeDoubtanceIsSpartacus Sun 17-Sep-17 16:18:35

If you are going for equality then you have to sort out the group who are oppressed first, and that's women. Feminism is women's liberation from the patriarchy. You either agree that that's a good thing or you think it's okay for women to continue to be exploited. Up to you really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now