Talk

Advanced search

DD passed her kick boxing grading, but I have just recieved a call to say she hasn't and needs to return the belt/certificate!?!?

(83 Posts)
justicedestiny Sat 16-Sep-17 18:02:09

DD did her purple belt (I believe it's something like her 7th belt) grading today and she gets assessed by 5 of the instructors on different things, they fill out the sheet, at the end, the main instructor adds up the points on the sheet and says if they have passed/failed. She was told she had passed like all the other times, was given her certificate and belt and walked home (it's at the end of our road) we celebrated with a take away and was all smiles all around. About an hour ago, I received a call from the instructor that isn't her instructor but goes through the sheets, etc. and adds their names to the correct board after gradings, etc. says unfortunately she didn't actually reach the points needed for the grading and it was just a mathematical error and she needs to return the belt and certificate and she will stay at the previous belt until the next grading. I am horrified! She is 11 and that's quite young really... She is very upset!

AIBU to think they should check their maths if it's that close before telling her!? I am really quite shocked.

Gorgosparta Sat 16-Sep-17 18:04:52

I really wouldnt be happy.

But then (as a competative kick boxer) i havent ever seen a purple belt grading like this. Blackbelt, yes. But not purple

justicedestiny Sat 16-Sep-17 18:05:56

Really? Since her white with red stripe grading it was always like this!

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Sat 16-Sep-17 18:08:05

I'd tell them to fuck off.

HellonHeels Sat 16-Sep-17 18:11:14

I agree with Joffrey. They awarded it!

Milliemoo37 Sat 16-Sep-17 18:11:33

I used to be a kickboxer, stopped when I recently fell pregnant. (Can't wait to get back into it though!)

But anyway.

They should let her keep the belt if it was a minor mathematical error. It sounds like she really worked hard for it. It's their own fault for not checking correctly. My dad is a Sensai and I could never see him take a belt off a child who had worked hard for it.

Starlighter Sat 16-Sep-17 18:11:36

This would feel pretty shitty for an adult, let alone an 11-year-old! Your poor daughter!

I'd want to see the sheets and find out how and why she didn't pass and how and why the mistake was made. It seems a bit petty and unnecessary to take the belt away from her now imo.

missiondecision Sat 16-Sep-17 18:11:55

Are the allowed to do that ??
Check with the kick boxing association you are a member of.

justicedestiny Sat 16-Sep-17 18:13:06

I have no idea what the rules are on this. Will definitely be going with her on her next lesson though!

jaseyraex Sat 16-Sep-17 18:14:35

I'd tell them to do one! It's their fault not your poor daughters. I'm assuming they only miscounted by one or two points, she can't have been miles from passing or they wouldn't have mucked up. That's just unnessecary to take it back, she sounds like she works very hard!

MerchantofVenice Sat 16-Sep-17 18:30:58

I'm sure I've witnessed matches at Wimbledon where the umpire has called the score incorrectly and, as no one has corrected it within a certain time, it has had to stand, with whatever consequences.

So I really think, given that it was their error and they went ahead and awarded the belt, it should definitely stand. They need to stand by their decision.

Pengggwn Sat 16-Sep-17 18:36:26

But if she was actually quite far away from a successful grading, would it not put her at risk to be matched against others of that ranking? If she can't perform the moves etc., you can't just say 'Well, you said she passed!'

Pengggwn Sat 16-Sep-17 18:36:42

Although I would be annoyed too, OP.

Hugs4Everyone Sat 16-Sep-17 18:36:58

I'd be annoyed but I would want to know what the DD wants to do. I doubt she would want to keep the award etc if she didn't really merit it IYSWIM.

gillybeanz Sat 16-Sep-17 18:45:16

I would first find out the details, then see if you can report them to a governing body.
I would be looking for a new club and spread the word on fb and their pages if they have them.
What a complete cock up and I agree hard enough for a grown up to process let alone an 11 year old.
Poor dd, she has worked hard and done ever so well.
Daily Mail sad face, or local paper too.

Gemini69 Sat 16-Sep-17 18:46:19

this is appalling.. they should accept the error was THEIR fault not hers.. she should absolutely keep the grade and belt OP ...

I'm so sorry for your DD she will be devastated... flowers

these idiots need a rocket up their asses...

MissMillament Sat 16-Sep-17 18:49:48

*I would first find out the details, then see if you can report them to a governing body.
I would be looking for a new club and spread the word on fb and their pages if they have them.
What a complete cock up and I agree hard enough for a grown up to process let alone an 11 year old.
Poor dd, she has worked hard and done ever so well.
Daily Mail sad face, or local paper too.*

Indeed. Can't see how any of this would be an overreaction at all. Why not attempt to ruin the club's reputation over one mistake. hmm

PerspicaciaTick Sat 16-Sep-17 18:52:03

Does she compete or would it be dangerous for her to participate at the wrong level? If not she'll just have to spend a bit longer at Purple while consolidating her skills and getting ready to move up to whatever colour comes next?

winglesspegasus Sat 16-Sep-17 18:52:27

db is sensai and would never recind a belt/especially if he made the error.
too much fuss and he would ask if student would like to retest.
congratulations to dd

BackieJerkhart Sat 16-Sep-17 18:52:35

Tell them they can whistle for it. That's cruel to do that to an 11 year old. They should suck up the error.

justicedestiny Sat 16-Sep-17 18:54:45

She doesn't compete, so it wouldn't make a difference there. She can do all the moves, she wouldn't have been allowed to do the grading if she couldn't but she gets points for how well they're done, etc.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Sat 16-Sep-17 18:55:25

What a mean nasty trick to pull.
I detest "The coz we brigade".

Hoppinggreen Sat 16-Sep-17 18:55:34

My DD does Taekwando and the only way they would get the belt back under those circumstances would be if they prised it from my cold dead fingers!!!!
If they insist speak to the association the school is a member of

Awwlookatmybabyspider Sat 16-Sep-17 18:56:49

Its cruel to do it to anyone regardless of age, Backie

Pengggwn Sat 16-Sep-17 18:58:22

She doesn't compete, but if they give her the belt then she would able to compete. They can't do that if she hasn't met the standard. Pain the arse as it is, I think this will have to be sucked up. People make mistakes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now