Talk

Advanced search

To be really annoyed by that stupid knoppers advert?

(17 Posts)
Geofax Fri 15-Sep-17 22:05:12

It's a bit frivolous I know, and I'm fully prepared to be told IABU, but surely the bloody k should be silent here?

It can't be good for kids learning to read and what not to watch this advert and see them pronouncing what should be silent letter. It just doesn't sound right! Not to mention the boy that snatches the wafer and the girl that crunches loudly, all bad examples for children.

I'm not normally one to complain, but this has really got my goat. It doesn't even seem like a real advert; it's all very surreal.

Whynotnowbaby Fri 15-Sep-17 22:16:32

Knoppers are German, Germans pronounce the K. If you need this to be a learning experience, why not explain that sometimes different languages have different pronunciation rules.

Geofax Fri 15-Sep-17 22:19:32

I am aware of this, and was perhaps being slightly facetious with my post; it just irritates my ears every time the advert comes on.

Whatjusthappenedexactly Fri 15-Sep-17 22:20:42

Yup. Bloody awful advert.

SpitefulMidLifeAnimal Fri 15-Sep-17 22:20:57

YABU. What about good old English words like knock, knee, knife, knickers, knitting etc.?

Geofax Fri 15-Sep-17 22:22:42

Surely the point is you don't pronounce the k in those? Perhaps we did at some point in our history but not now!

toomuchtooold Fri 15-Sep-17 22:27:23

Yeah they're German. Why the hell Germany thinks you guys need fucking Knoppers when you have access to Tunnocks' Caramel Logs is beyond me. Don't worry, they won't last grin

BobbinThreadbare123 Fri 15-Sep-17 22:29:02

Yeah, Germans pronounce the K. The spectacular word 'knoblauch' springs to mind (it means 'garlic')

Christmastree43 Fri 15-Sep-17 22:36:10

I like that advert! Like the silliness of it smile

NaiceToMeetYou Fri 15-Sep-17 22:41:39

I'm with you op, dp and I say the same every time it comes on.

GemmaCollinsBabes Fri 22-Sep-17 19:59:47

Bouncing this because I've just seen the advert. Sod the pronunciation, wtf is that advert in general. confused

Theoistfit Fri 22-Sep-17 20:14:29

The are the food of the gods and it sounds all wrong pronouncing it Noppers would be all wrong!

willscott9008 Fri 22-Sep-17 23:16:01

I find the advert annoying, but i think as I'm a dutch speaker living in the UK, I'd be more annoyed if it was pronounced incorrectly as Noppers. Not too hard to explain to kids that different languages have different rules, and these snacks are not British

QuackPorridgeBacon Sat 23-Sep-17 09:09:13

I always hear knockers when it comes on, then have a childish giggle to myself. The pronunciation (now that I know why) doesn't actually annoy me.

Bluntness100 Sat 23-Sep-17 09:11:46

It made me laugh the first time I saw it,,,grin

However the stupid sixt Ines where someone sits in the car and shouts "that's nothing" in a strange voice after receiving some life changing news irritate the hell out of me.

QuackPorridgeBacon Sat 23-Sep-17 12:44:37

Yes bluntness they really piss me off. I shouldn't but they make me slightly angry lol

Grimbles Sat 23-Sep-17 12:47:28

The bizarrest advert at the moment is the ppi one with Arnie's head wheeling around shouting at people.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: