Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be fuming that DS has been sent home because of his hair???

(609 Posts)
brodyblake Fri 15-Sep-17 16:10:21

DS had his haircut just before he started secondary school. In the uniform rules, it just saying no "extreme hairstyles" does not give any kind of description as to what those may be. Bugger me, he goes in with a perfect uniform, a nice smart haircut and is told it's a no!!! They have said that he is to be in isolation until it grows to an acceptable length hmm they didn't say what would be classed as extreme!!!!!!!!

EamonnWright Fri 15-Sep-17 16:11:40

Skin fade?

ADayGivingMeHope Fri 15-Sep-17 16:12:07

😮 That's disgusting from the school, why should his hair affect his schooling?
Can do some damage to social life too which they should not underestimate!

What's his hair like?

brodyblake Fri 15-Sep-17 16:14:03

It's too short on the sides aparently

Foxysoxy01 Fri 15-Sep-17 16:15:35

Is there going to be a massive back story of him having a Mohawk?

Otherwise I would be having words with the school!

brodyblake Fri 15-Sep-17 16:17:00

Eamonn just googled that and yes it's very similar, short at the bottom on the sides

ineedamoreadultieradult Fri 15-Sep-17 16:17:29

How short is it on the sides? I thought a general guide was anything shorter than a 3 was classed as extreme. I don't know where I got that from though.

DeleteOrDecay Fri 15-Sep-17 16:17:55

It's ridiculous, how on earth is short hair considered 'extreme'?hmm

dementedpixie Fri 15-Sep-17 16:19:14

Bloody ridiculous. What's his hair got to do with learning?

allthegoodusernameshavegone Fri 15-Sep-17 16:19:17

Isolation!!! Wtf sounds like prison. How do they put a child in isolation? Who is teaching him? Do they have spare rooms in these schools with random teachers waiting for the haircut kids?

EamonnWright Fri 15-Sep-17 16:19:59

It's the style now OP. I seriously can't see your lad being the only one with a skin fade. My son and all his mates have them, no problem with school.

HolidayTimeAgain Fri 15-Sep-17 16:20:27

If it looks like those skin fade pictures then I don't understand why you thought that would be acceptable!

dementedpixie Fri 15-Sep-17 16:21:10

Ds used to get a 1 at the back and I don't think it's too short. Although now he has floppy hair down to his collar. Glad his school doesn't have stupid rules about hair

TurquoiseChevrotain Fri 15-Sep-17 16:21:40

This is the rule in all my local secondary schools. It's ridiculous.

WeAreEternal Fri 15-Sep-17 16:22:51

Is it like this by any chance?

DS's school have sent out several letters previously that this kind of haircut is not acceptable.
Anything shorter than a Number 3 is too short... or something like that.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Fri 15-Sep-17 16:22:59

Sorry but I really don't like the skin fade cuts misses point

brodyblake Fri 15-Sep-17 16:23:51

it doesn't look as sharp as those pics but that's the general idea, that it gets more an more hair as it reaches the top of his head. i cant quite believe it, he doesnt know any one at the school and this time is so important in making friends

brodyblake Fri 15-Sep-17 16:24:22

WeAre no where near that short

maddiemookins16mum Fri 15-Sep-17 16:26:31

Did this happen today? Has he not been back a week or more?

Wolfiefan Fri 15-Sep-17 16:26:33

Very short hair is often seen as extreme. I actually said no to my son having a (nowhere near that extreme) fade.
He got what he wanted at the start of the holidays. We took a picture so I can ask the school before the next cut if it is ok.

dementedpixie Fri 15-Sep-17 16:26:42

If they haven't defined what an extreme hairstyle is then how can you know if a haircut is ok. Have you spoken to the school?

MrLovebucket Fri 15-Sep-17 16:27:07

Picture no. 3 up there ^ ^ ^ is a work of art, lovely fading even though I'm not generally keen on the hairstyle.

<misses point>

EamonnWright Fri 15-Sep-17 16:27:10

The pic on the left would be close to my boys. It's at least one hair cut a bloody week at a tenner I'm worried about and it not looking great but that's subjective.

How it would hamper his learning is anyone's guess.

Namechangetempissue Fri 15-Sep-17 16:27:54

I think it's bloody ridiculous to be honest. I'm actually all for a uniform and basic rules about jewellery and earrings (makes sense not to wear valuables or have dangly stuff for PE) but this bonkers crap about haircuts really annoys me. Why do we have to have an army of little robots all with one or two hairstyles deemed acceptable by god knows who? Why can't kids have have a little bit of individuality and say in what they look like? How can hair be "too short"? My friends DD had a very short pixie cut and was tutted over by the headteacher for looking "like a boy" 😑😠

MonkeyDontTalk Fri 15-Sep-17 16:28:07

Surely they spelled this out to you on the open evening?

Our school is nothing shorter than a number 2 other schools locally are either a 3 or a 2.

Plus no pinks/purple/green hair.

And yes it is just a haircut but it also breaks the rules.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: