Talk

Advanced search

Daughter calling me "mom"

(97 Posts)
SuzukiLi Wed 13-Sep-17 16:42:16

Wibu to ask my mum to stop my 3 year old watching American tv when she is there? She picks her up from nut earth twice a week when I finish late and now 3 year old has started calling me mom or mommy. Which just really grates! Aibu to ask her to stick to ceebeebies?

FrustratedTeddyLamp Wed 13-Sep-17 16:44:31

Perhaps I just don't listen or I'm used to it but I always felt pronunciation was the same just spelling

FerretsAreFeminists Wed 13-Sep-17 16:45:55

British people use the term 'mom' too so it's not strictly an American/American TV thing.

SuzukiLi Wed 13-Sep-17 16:46:58

She's picked it up from Dora and Disney channel. It's a definite American sounding MOOOOOOM. Usually right in my ear. At about 6am.

StillRowing Wed 13-Sep-17 16:48:28

I'm from Birmingham so my mom is definitely Mom calling her mum is just weird. I don't even like getting her cards with mum on.

AllToadsLeadToHome Wed 13-Sep-17 16:49:17

British people use the term 'mom' too so it's not strictly an American/American TV thing.

British people use it because it has crept in to English due to American TV.

Like a lot of other Americanisms. English ain't wot it used to be.

just5morepeas Wed 13-Sep-17 16:49:51

I don't think you'd be unreasonable to ask her to stick to Cbeebies. I prefer it because you don't get all the adverts.

balsamicbarbara Wed 13-Sep-17 16:51:05

Another favourite in our house is "lever" - the lev-er pronunciation rather than lee-ver. It's YouTube that does it. But I think it's a good thing as ultimately there are more US English speakers and even US spellings are allowed in certain exams now (Science in particular).

MetalMidget Wed 13-Sep-17 16:51:54

Bollocks is it, mom has been the preferred term in much of the West Midlands long before TV - my Nan used to call her mom 'mom'!

SofiaAmes Wed 13-Sep-17 16:52:59

My dd switches from mum, mummy, mom and mamma depending on her mood. I'm just glad that she's still looking to me for advice at 14.

SuzukiLi Wed 13-Sep-17 16:55:25

I don't mind Americanisms! I use a few of them myself.
But I'm mum, not mom.

FerretsAreFeminists Wed 13-Sep-17 16:56:08

Nope. It's been used in the west midlands for decades, certainly long before American TV influences. It's a regional thing.

I'm in the north east and here we say Mam.

littlemisssweetness Wed 13-Sep-17 16:58:22

I think your majorly overthinking this- they're basically the exact same things

Nettletheelf Wed 13-Sep-17 16:58:44

NIP IT IN THE BUD, DO IT NOW!

That would drive me insane. Save our mother tongue!

Next she will be saying 'gotten'. That would be insufferable. Be tough on americanisms and tough on the causes of americanisms!

SuzukiLi Wed 13-Sep-17 16:59:03

But they're really not. I hate it. Just like the lady up thread from Birmingham hates mum.

SuzukiLi Wed 13-Sep-17 16:59:33

I say gotten blush

opheliacat Wed 13-Sep-17 17:03:18

They are all pretty awful. Mum (deodorant) mummy (egyptains) mom (awful) mam (by far the worst, superseded only by Nanna.) Mama is like a wind up doll DD has. I far far prefer my own name to any of the labels for mother.

MrsJayy Wed 13-Sep-17 17:04:33

Just correct her say it is mum dd although my Dd spent a year saying Hola thanks to Dora

cowgirlsareforever Wed 13-Sep-17 17:05:32

I was so angry seeing the word 'MOM' spelled out in flowers at the funeral on Doctors! Now I know it's OK because it's set in Birmingham!

SuzukiLi Wed 13-Sep-17 17:05:33

She only calls me by my first name when I'm in trouble grin

Clearly she spends too much time with my mum...

OohDammit Wed 13-Sep-17 17:08:14

Midlands mom is a definite mom. American mom is a longer moooom.

Don't know why but hearing a dragged out American "mom" from someone without an American accent drives me nuts.

SuzukiLi Wed 13-Sep-17 17:09:10

Don't know why but hearing a dragged out American "mom" from someone without an American accent drives me nuts

Yes!! Especially when it's being shouted at you 12000 times a day!

Nettletheelf Wed 13-Sep-17 17:11:40

The rot started with you and your 'gottens', OP!

I think you should throw in the towel and go for the full faucet/garbage/gas. And call macaroni cheese 'Mac & cheese' forthwith.

AllToadsLeadToHome Wed 13-Sep-17 17:12:45

Bollocks is it, mom has been the preferred term in much of the West Midlands long before TV - my Nan used to call her mom 'mom'!

But not everywhere in the country, where I was brought up and have lived since it has only been heard since the increase in American TV and films. Where does 'Mam' get used as a matter of interest?

cowgirlsareforever Wed 13-Sep-17 17:13:46

I hate 'gotten' and 'mac and cheese.'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now