Talk

Advanced search

to think McDonalds is expensive?

(233 Posts)
TingTradition Wed 13-Sep-17 15:22:20

I mean great for a quick, cheap on-the-move treat hmm.

But you get a tiny bit of meat with your burger and unless you stuff yourself with chips and ice-cream on top, are hungry 30 minutes later.

I've just made a delicious huge burger for lunch at home, with lovely seedy bun and big salad, probably for less than £1. [NoMrWhippyThough sad]

YANBU. I've often thought this. They hook you in with their cheap Happy Meals but when your kids are older and eat standard meals it gets really £££.

RyanStartedTheFire Wed 13-Sep-17 15:25:01

20 box of nuggets, job done.

19lottie82 Wed 13-Sep-17 15:25:35

Expensive? Where else can you get an adult sized burger, chips and drinks for £4?

I'm not saying it's not total junk, but expensive? No.

EamonnWright Wed 13-Sep-17 15:25:53

One burp after a McDonald's meal and you're hungry. When I go I get a Big Mac meal with a quarter pounder on the side blush

SandraDeesLeatherPants Wed 13-Sep-17 15:26:41

My Dad made us all have Happy Meals until we were about 16 angrygrin

It makes you hungry again quickly though 'cause it's just carby crap.

PollyPelargonium52 Wed 13-Sep-17 15:27:24

I fill out the receipt online to get the £1.49 off the next trip. We do it every time now.

OnionKnight Wed 13-Sep-17 15:27:30

It's £4 for crying out loud.

Ameliablue Wed 13-Sep-17 15:27:42

I don't think comparing it to homemade is necessarily a true reflection of how expensive it is. I think it terms of other fast food outlets it is inexpensive.

justdontevenfuckingstart Wed 13-Sep-17 15:27:42

If we can make huge burgers with a salad for less than a quid then we've got it made!

I often get the sausage and egg muffin breakfasts for us, they are lovely but a lot pricier than they used to be. Nearly £12 for 3 last time, bit steep.

regularbutpanickingabit Wed 13-Sep-17 15:28:51

I thought it was a bit expensive for what you get until we were on a motorway that only had Burger King and several starving people in the car. Now THAT'S expensive! Cost about £45 to feed 4 people. It definitely did not taste worth that.

expatinscotland Wed 13-Sep-17 15:29:15

YABU. Cheapest fast food around and generous portion sizes.

PollyPelargonium52 Wed 13-Sep-17 15:30:56

I eat a chicken legend they are quite filling too.

hibbledobble Wed 13-Sep-17 15:32:22

Yabu.

It's obviously cheaper to make it yourself, you don't have the overheads of a shop to pay for.

I could pay 10 in a restaurant for a meal, but make it at home myself for under 1. You pay for the service and convenience.

TopiaryTop Wed 13-Sep-17 15:32:35

It depends where you are buying it. If you live in the US it's very cheap, they always seemed to have a 'dollar menu' or something whenever we have traveled there. In other countries it costs a bomb to feed four people when for the same price you could go to an independent burger joint and get something much meatier for less money.

TingTradition Wed 13-Sep-17 15:33:02

Goin' back for seconds and don't have to spend time punching numbers and choices in a plastic board ... just getting touchy-feely with some mince instead.

And I think I have some frozen yoghurt somewhere in the freezer.

And wine.

This is turning into quite the gourmet day.

Remy66 Wed 13-Sep-17 15:36:40

That can be said about anything though surely?
I paid about £15 the other day for a meal deal in a pub, spaghetti bolognese, glass of wine and a dessert. Not a bad price.

Yeah, I could've made an entire cake for about £1, a bottle of similar wine probably about a tenner, so probably, what £2-£3 there for a couple glasses? Spaghetti is 20p, mince and sauce also can be cheap. You can safely cut those prices in half if they're a big business buying wholesale with lots of purchasing power.

But on top of that they must pay for staff,
Licensing if applicable, a hygiene certificate, premises, training cost, HR and payroll costs, some amount built in for losses (waste/spoiling), consumables (the ketchup/straws Etc costs them money to provide obviously). Equipment, cleaning equipment, probably a cleaner for the toilets and other such areas and of course, make a profit, unfair comparison that can be done with almost any food business.

hidinginthenightgarden Wed 13-Sep-17 15:46:15

I think it is very cheap actually. Chicken sandwich more filling than beef burger. Kids are guaranteed to eat it and I can be assured the quality is the same anywhere I go, unlike pub meals which vary from one to the next.

Joolsy Wed 13-Sep-17 15:47:13

19lottie- it's definitely more than £4 for an adult meal. More like £5.50/6 on average

I usually buy their wrap of the day which is £1.99 but for chips & drink with it it comes to over £4 - that's pretty much their cheapest adult meal

19lottie82 Wed 13-Sep-17 15:54:31

Joolsy , sorry it's £4.49 for a standard adult meal (Big Mac, quarter pounder, nuggets ect)

19lottie82 Wed 13-Sep-17 15:55:55

regular yeah BKs in service stations are soooo expensive! Saying that BK is a lot more expensive than McDs in general but the service action prices are just wow!

Toblernone Wed 13-Sep-17 16:00:22

YABU, anything you cook at home should beat the cost of buying it in a caff/restaurant but the whole point is being able to eat while you're out. Can get 3 large meals for under £15, I have a Big Mac meal and we definitely can't manage anything else until dinner after that so good value for us.

MillyMeadow Wed 13-Sep-17 16:02:16

I think you probably need to look at how much you are eating

U2HasTheEdge Wed 13-Sep-17 16:06:52

Family of 7 inc three teens. It will cost us about £35 plus depending on what we have.

It's not expensive as such it just doesn't fill you up for long. It does me, but it doesn't my children. DH rarely has one because he hates it but on the odd occasion he has he is still starving after.

I could get a Chinese for a bit more and have some left overs and people are full.

MillyMeadow Wed 13-Sep-17 16:11:01

I sometimes have a big mac meal for lunch at work and I dont eat again until breakfast the next day as I dont feel hungry. I think they are massive and am surprised by this thread tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now