Talk

Advanced search

To challenge this note from nursery ?

(250 Posts)
Blankiefan Tue 12-Sep-17 19:32:52

Leaflet came home with 4yo DD from nursery (it's the school nursery). Note is about benefits of outside play and learning. So far, so good... until...

"Boys, in particular, require a means of testing themselves (and true abilities) in a physical manner, which is impossible in the confined space of a school classroom."

AIBU to think this reflects some sort of belief that the boys should be challenged in ways the girls aren't? It's a philosophy I'm uncomfortable with - why should they make a distinction on gender?

She's only been attending this nursery for a fortnight - she goes for afternoon sessions spending the rest of her time at the private nursery she's been at since she was 6 months old. Am I going to be that parent if I complain this soon into her school career? The nursery is part of the school she'll attend for primary.

Ratbagcatbag Tue 12-Sep-17 19:35:01

YANBU. That would drive me nuts and I would have to ask exactly what it was that boys needed challenging themselves in that girls didn't. Bloody bloody ingrained casual sexism drives me mad.

TheSkyAtNight Tue 12-Sep-17 19:36:06

Yanbu - that should be challenged along with staff attitudes behind it.

Nikephorus Tue 12-Sep-17 19:36:22

Maybe it's a jumped-up way of saying that little boys need to burn off more energy than girls and so need to run round outside?

JohnLapsleyParlabane Tue 12-Sep-17 19:37:31

Yes Nike, that is what it's saying. And it's bollocks.

OwlinaTree Tue 12-Sep-17 19:37:34

I wouldnt like that wording. They are probably under pressure to improve outcomes for boys so have been putting things in place that may appeal to boys more than their current provision. They should be encouraging all children to use all provision though.

insancerre Tue 12-Sep-17 19:37:59

Yabu
Boys do have different needs from girls

Bluntness100 Tue 12-Sep-17 19:38:14

Meh, in general little boys in particular do I think. They aren't saying girls don't, I really wouldn't be offended.

Nuttynoo Tue 12-Sep-17 19:38:34

You should complain to the manager that their leaflets are sexist and irresponsible, and imply girls need less exercise than boys.

zzzzz Tue 12-Sep-17 19:39:07

Fuck that! shock

Correct it and send it back with a request for staff training.

Barbiessharptoenails Tue 12-Sep-17 19:39:08

YANBU.

GahBuggerit Tue 12-Sep-17 19:39:10

Wtf?!

Pennywhistle Tue 12-Sep-17 19:40:03

While it's true that my DS needs a lot more physical exercise a day than his twin sister I don't think that's the case for all boys (or all girls).

I'd certainly raise my eyebrows at that note.

All children benefit from running around outside, surely any qualification is unnecessary.

Pengggwyn Tue 12-Sep-17 19:40:15

That would annoy the hell out of me and I would definitely say something.

PurplePillowCase Tue 12-Sep-17 19:40:23

yanbu
this applies to both sexes.

PokemonDont Tue 12-Sep-17 19:40:46

What does "a means of testing themselves (and true abilities) in a physical manner" actually mean, anyway? And why wouldn't girls need to test themselves physically? Ridiculous casual sexism

Saysomething88 Tue 12-Sep-17 19:41:55

It might be a boy heavy class ? But it's worded very badly. I would be annoyed too

Coffeeandcrochet Tue 12-Sep-17 19:42:02

Fuck that shit!

Nomoresunshine Tue 12-Sep-17 19:42:12

"We need to make sure the boys get the chance to run wild in the yard to prevent them being little shits in class"

LondonLassInTheCountry Tue 12-Sep-17 19:43:06

Boys and girls have different needs.

When i worked in a nursery. There was a spefic training day based on boys needs, a big part of the day was physical needs

christmastreewithhairyfairy Tue 12-Sep-17 19:44:16

Yanbu, that would piss me right off and I would complain!

insancerre Tue 12-Sep-17 19:44:23

The staff don't need training
They clearly have had up to date training
Its not sexist to suggest boys and girls have different needs
Boys and girls are different
They are not saying that girls don't need physical play that provides risk and challenge just that boys need it more

Hunkle Tue 12-Sep-17 19:45:42

confused I got told my DD was boisturous once by a nursery worker

Akire Tue 12-Sep-17 19:45:43

I be more worried about boys hogging most space and equipment and all the bikes! especially if staff see as boys "need" it over a girl.

QuackDuckQuack Tue 12-Sep-17 19:47:16

That sort of generalising is pure rubbish. It might be that, on average, boys have slightly different needs, but that doesn't apply on an individual level and isn't at all useful information for parents as by definition they are working on an individual level with their child. I certainly know some girls who are like whirling dervishes and physically demand as much opportunity to 'burn off energy' as any boy I know.

I also wonder why a nursery can't provide the physical play opportunities that fulfil this need, it doesn't sound like a rounded nursery.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now