Talk

Advanced search

John Lewis removing gendered sections in kids clothing

(573 Posts)
moutonfou Sat 02-Sep-17 12:46:04

John Lewis has announced they are no longer having 'boys' and 'girls' clothing sections. Just kids clothing. Which to me sounds fair enough. I had to buy several football shirts from the boys section as a kid and always felt like they weren't 'for me' and that someone was going to notice and call me out on it.

On some of the news outlets' Facebook posts about this, there are the most OTT comments from people who seem to have interpreted this as an attempt to make all kids be 100% gender fluid, stop calling them boys and girls at all, make all boys wear dresses, etc etc.

AIBU to be frustrated that people can't see the value of just letting kids like what they like, and that it's not all some sinister agenda??

withlotsoflove Sat 02-Sep-17 12:48:32

Well John Lewis haven decided to be kind- they just saw a gap and decided to be first.
I've always bought what l want / from where l want.
My boys are big- it was a nightmare trying to get things with guns or monsters on them.
Parents of little ones have it easier now- l'm glad for them! smile

withlotsoflove Sat 02-Sep-17 12:48:51

*haven't

withlotsoflove Sat 02-Sep-17 12:49:28

.*without guns/ monsters
Sorry - l'm tired!

SuburbanRhonda Sat 02-Sep-17 12:49:49

They're separated by sex, not gender. Or were.

Ttbb Sat 02-Sep-17 12:52:09

Why? This is just going to make it more difficult to go shopping. Or are they making the clothing gender neutral? Where am I supposed to buy tweed suits for toddlers now!

moutonfou Sat 02-Sep-17 12:53:55

I presume they will still keep similar items together e.g. dresses, so if you're not in the market for a dress you can easily skip past them. But in terms of things like tshirts, I presume they'll all just be together and you can pick the tshirt that has something that you/your little one likes on it? If anything there should be more choice.

BarbarianMum Sat 02-Sep-17 12:54:24

It would be a lot more revolutionary if they actually started stocking a wider range of clothing styles/colours. From my visit the other week it still seems to be largely pink/purple on the one hand and blue with skulls/robots on the other.

LespritDescalier Sat 02-Sep-17 12:54:38

I was in a shop yesterday looking for toddler pyjamas, and asked an assistant, the very first question asked was "is it for a boy or a girl?". I said it doesn't matter, just pyjamas and she just asked me again!

I had to go to 2 totally distinct sections carrying pyjamas between them to compare them. All the "girls" ones were pink and white with flowers/unicorns/frozen on them and all the "boys" were blue and red and bright colours with footballs and cars and batman on them.
It's stupid and it's annoying, so good for JL.

usernameinfinito Sat 02-Sep-17 12:54:48

It will make shopping more difficult, that's all.

Witsender Sat 02-Sep-17 12:56:06

How will it make it more difficult? Need a t shirt, look for a t shirt aurel

Justanothernameonthepage Sat 02-Sep-17 12:57:21

This is going to make shopping so much easier for me so I'm happy, no more hunting through different sections just to find clothes my kids will love.

Namechangeblock Sat 02-Sep-17 12:57:46

I think it's great - I can go and let my kids pick their clothes without tthem feeling it's "not for them".

PinkCrystal Sat 02-Sep-17 12:57:57

Great news

TakemedowntoPotatoCity Sat 02-Sep-17 12:59:45

This is good news.

LespritDescalier Sat 02-Sep-17 13:01:16

It won't be more difficult, it will be much easier. Girls can have blue jumpers without having to go in what they call "the boys section" and vice versa. All kids clothes in together is so much easier!

AnneGrommit Sat 02-Sep-17 13:02:13

The thing is, the clothes themselves are still gendered. Which is the trouble with all of this so called gender neutral stuff - the lines are there, probably more so. But now it's become a question of identity to cross them.

LespritDescalier Sat 02-Sep-17 13:03:05

Yes but its a good first step.

Glumglowworm Sat 02-Sep-17 13:04:30

I think it's good

Nobody is saying girls can't wear dresses or boys must wear dresses. Just that there's no need to segregate t-shirts along stereotyped gender lines.

Children's clothing should be soft, easy to put on and take off, and appropriate for the weather and whatever activity they're doing. Parents will have preferences for colours and styles and as they get older so will children. Their genitals don't influence any of those things.

EmpressOfTheSpartacusOceans Sat 02-Sep-17 13:04:39

I think that a lot of transpeople will hate this idea if anything. Eliminating gender markers (and I do mean gender) from clothes could lead to meaning that wearing a dress is no longer a sign of being a woman.

LespritDescalier Sat 02-Sep-17 13:05:38

I think that a lot of transpeople will hate this idea if anything. Eliminating gender markers (and I do mean gender) from clothes could lead to meaning that wearing a dress is no longer a sign of being a woman

Then I'm even happier about it!

Montsti Sat 02-Sep-17 13:07:31

I find this irritating and it'll make it more of a faff when shopping...

I don't get why it's such a problem having a girls and boys section. If you want to buy a traditionally boys outfit for a girl or viceversa or neutral then that's completely upto you....

My kids "at the moment" adhere to gender stereotypes as far as clothing and toys etc...are concerned and so if I'm looking for a pair of "boys" shorts for my son then I'll head to the relevant age/gender section in the shop...

When one of my daughters has gone through a phase of not wanting to wear dresses/skirts/pink then I won't buy them that...but it doesn't offend/upset them or me if we look at other colours/sections...I really don't get why it's so offensive...

I was always a girly girl who wore football shirts when I went to matches etc...even though they were in the boys section...it didn't traumatize me...

Kpo58 Sat 02-Sep-17 13:08:08

I don't see the point in unlabeling the sections if all the clothes are still heavily gendered.

I wonder if they are going to put the sleepwear section together or the underwear.

NikiBabe Sat 02-Sep-17 13:08:32

I think that a lot of transpeople will hate this idea if anything. Eliminating gender markers (and I do mean gender) from clothes could lead to meaning that wearing a dress is no longer a sign of being a woman

😃✋

TheAntiBoop Sat 02-Sep-17 13:08:59

Dd gets half her clothes in the boys department so we tend to walk the whole floor anyway. Not that we buy much in JL

The only time I can see this being annoying is when you're looking for a certain cut of trouser or Jean.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now