Talk

Advanced search

To be fed up of Instamums

(1000 Posts)
Hmmmmx100 Fri 25-Aug-17 22:56:24

I followed a few of the more well-known Instamums but got weary of the constant daily barrage of brand endorsements. I can't relate to people on £100k a year in Farrow & Ball houses. I just can't. So I had to unfollow em all, every one. AIBU to feel a bit miffed that these people are using the idea of sisterhood to make money? They're not our friends, they're just there to sell us stuff that we probably don't need anyway.

BubbleAnimal Sat 02-Sep-17 22:33:19

Noooo MotherPukka, I called DM involvement paaaaages ago. You can't steal that thunder!!

Hmmmmx100 Sat 02-Sep-17 22:34:28

Started new thread. Kudos to the Instamums (yes I find that term cringy too) that've participated.

langkaw Sat 02-Sep-17 22:35:06

Hooray!!

FuckingLoveCarbs Sat 02-Sep-17 22:35:58

Link!

langkaw Sat 02-Sep-17 22:36:20

Where is it????

langkaw Sat 02-Sep-17 22:36:40

It had better be on aibu!

Badmotherpukka Sat 02-Sep-17 22:36:53

So sorry. You are right. We just have to decide who says what. I'll take the over-privileged Hunter welly-wanging position.

Hmmmmx100 Sat 02-Sep-17 22:37:04

It is, get over there now!

FuckingLoveCarbs Sat 02-Sep-17 22:38:06

I don't think MN is remotely negative susie. On the contrary it's one of the few places on the internet I've found the realities of parenthood to be accurately reflected.

Hashtag1890 Sat 02-Sep-17 22:38:27

It's nice to see day to day stories of mum life but the #ads and #spon is getting ridiculous now. The midwife with the twins is possibly the most annoying account on there. "Do your kids have #nits, have you thought to go to Boots for treatment" #ad, I mean come on?!

BubbleAnimal Sat 02-Sep-17 22:39:49

Deal. I don't have wellies. I'll play the sitting on the fence so hard I have nails up my arse as I can see most sides but I like honesty stance.

DoomGloomAndKaboom Sat 02-Sep-17 22:39:52

I have nearly posted on this thread many, many times.

I've followed and unfollowed a few instamums. The main reason I have for unfollowing is some are a bit dull after a while.

Susie Verrill is hilarious and do you know what? It's lovely that some people on here find only support but do you imagine it's like that for everyone? So I agree with her - it can be bloody rough on here and just because her experience doesn't match yours, it doesn't mean she's wrong. I dont always agree with her but she's always interesting and honest. AND she recommended mother pukka (when will we see more of your horticultural prince?) and another instamum who I really like but daren't mention in case she gets a pasting too, but who is also interesting, funny and honest.

I don't get how it's all about smugness and perfect lives from the ones I follow. Maybe I just haven't found these awful harridan boastful women the rest of you have.

Serious question: why are you following people you don't like? Do you also follow Piers Morgan and Donald Trump?

FuckingLoveCarbs Sat 02-Sep-17 22:41:14

what? It's lovely that some people on here find only support but do you imagine it's like that for everyone?

Well no, I just thought it was massively off to dismiss the entirety of mumsnet as awful and bitchy TBH. Huge generalisation.

BubbleAnimal Sat 02-Sep-17 22:42:20

DoomGloom, a lot of people said they had unfollowed, but then went back to see a few of the public posts since. So it's not that they do necessarily follow them all. I don't follow everyone mentioned in this thread.

ibuiltahomeforyou Sat 02-Sep-17 22:48:37

I LOVE @Susie3Milo, as well as Unmumsy Mum, Esther Coren etc. They totally understand the balance of content vs making a living.

Bloody brave of Susie and MotherPukka to come on here, I applaud them.

dollydimplenotsosimple Sat 02-Sep-17 22:52:21

It's not brave of someone to come on mumsnet to talk about what they do for a living.

Jeez talk about hyperbolising.

FuckingLoveCarbs Sat 02-Sep-17 22:53:37

Yeah I hate that whole "brave" rhetoric.

Women who stand up in court and face their abusers are brave. Writing something online to justify #ads is not brave, however nicely you come across.

DoomGloomAndKaboom Sat 02-Sep-17 22:56:29

I get that Bubble but why go back?

Also, I wrote my post before I saw actual susie's, in case anyone thinks I'm a weirdo.

And I think it's brave and decent to come onto a thread where you're getting a pasting (or the group to which you belong) to put your POV forward.

Beadycake Sat 02-Sep-17 22:56:39

Don't mind me but...
What a shame it is that some of these lovely young mummies and daddies are so busy blogging their every wet fart that their own families (who may perhaps be not quite as 'pretty' as they) don't get a passing wet wipe for the aforementioned strewn avocado....

BubbleAnimal Sat 02-Sep-17 23:01:47

DoomGloom I know on mine, those I've unfollowed still come up on the search and recent posts feed. So they often catch my eye. I started following them for a reason, so some things will stand out more.

BubbleAnimal Sat 02-Sep-17 23:05:21

new thread

MakeItStopNeville Sat 02-Sep-17 23:09:08

Doomgloom I definitely follow Donald Trump on Twitter. I live in the US and it would be stupid not to. The crap that he spouts on there is what he really thinks and he's the POTUS! I want to know what than bat shit crazy man is thinking.

Right, off to the other thread!

Pappawasarollingbone Sat 02-Sep-17 23:37:27

With MOD good for her for writing her book. I'm sure it will be really helpful to people. That makes sense. To cash in on her Instagram success and experience as a midwife makes sense. But it's just selling the endless stuff that's disappointing. Like the cleaning product ads and the holidays. And the nit stuff. It's just why does everything have to be about making people buy things and spend money.

BubbleAnimal Sat 02-Sep-17 23:38:30

I don't even begrudge the nits stuff and the cleaning stuff. It's the holiday, the free clothing, the lack of disclosure. There's a difference when you look at some of the more experienced instagrammers.

BubbleAnimal Sat 02-Sep-17 23:39:10

And yes, kudos to all those who have written books. It's something a lot of us could only dream about. And I know from her stories she was working hard writing another.

This thread is not accepting new messages.