Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I know I am, but am I alone? Paw Patrol

(126 Posts)
monkeymamma Thu 24-Aug-17 09:37:12

Right, this is really grating my cheese right now.

My kids love Paw Patrol. Obviously. They are 2 and 5, so... of course they do.

They are boys. This is relevant (though it shouldn't be).

Their favourite character is Skye. Probably because she has a helicopter and is a nice bright colour (pink). I can promise you I have not encouraged this in any way (Chase is obviously the coolest imho).

Bought PJs for the youngest DS, he was pleased as punch. Bedtime comes, he puts them on. DS1 is puzzled. "Someone's missing," he says, ominously, pointing to his brother's chest. I spot exactly who he means. There are five pups featured and Skye has been omitted. Presumably she's not a "primary" pup. WTAF? She does way more rescue missions than, say, Zuma. Or even Rocky. Cue me going on a rant about everyday sexism etc etc. To the bemusement of my offspring.

Since then I've noticed that EVERY SINGLE BIT of PP merchandise is the same. If you want a t-shirt, bag, sock, shoe, lunchbox, drinks bottle etc with Skye on, you have to buy one with JUST her (or her and Everest) and it will be 100% pink or purple, or covered in frills. I've got no objection to buying these for the boys whatsoever, but I know that other people think I'm making an aggressively feminist statement with my DS2's pink frilly Skye socks. And he'd be way more pleased with socks that have all the pups together, the whole point of the show is team work right?

Just - why? Why to the manufacturers and designers think boys won't buy PP merchandise with all the pups on? Or that girls (or boys) who want pink and frilly will somehow be put off by the inclusion of the male pups on their things. Kids clearly love the show - they won't stop buying it because there are all the pups on all the things.

Fully prepared to be told 'there are bigger problems in this world' - there so clearly are! This has just been bugging me for a while and I needed to get it off my chest!

RozDoyle Thu 24-Aug-17 09:38:23

No I agree. There was a similar rant on Facebook last week and lots of parents agreed. So no, you're not alone.

PinkSquash Thu 24-Aug-17 09:38:45

I have the same issue. DS2 loves Skye but it's all aimed at "girls". It's stupid.

YADNBU

Auldspinster Thu 24-Aug-17 09:39:50

Skye is my 2 1/2 year old nephew's favourite too.

doleritedinosaur Thu 24-Aug-17 09:41:26

I fully agree! My two year old keeps asking where Skye is on all of his stuff.
It's really frustrating.

koalab Thu 24-Aug-17 09:41:35

Thing like this are so frustrating. Incidentally did you watch no more girls and boys on BBC 2 last night? It was very interesting

RozDoyle Thu 24-Aug-17 09:41:45

It also fucks me off that Skye is the "token" female. Why is she the only one (apart from Everest who is hardly ever innit)?

SellMySoulForSomeSleep Thu 24-Aug-17 09:43:04

My DD loves paw patrol and I hate that I can't find anything suitable with all the pups on. Not just Skye and Everest. Her fave is Marshall.

I don't like putting her in pink, so it's very difficult to find something we both like.

RozDoyle Thu 24-Aug-17 09:43:12

Why would it autocorrect to innit?! I have never typed innit in my life!

TractorTedTed Thu 24-Aug-17 09:43:46

I agree too.

Mine likes all the paw patrol pups and would just like some pjs (for example) with ALL of them on! Why is this so impossible?

And why can you not but anything with Skye on which isn't pink?

So bizarre. Totally with you on this, op!

Ninjakittysmells Thu 24-Aug-17 09:43:48

Yes! Ds also noticed this (Skye is cool but I think I agree that chase is the best!) I told him it was because she joined the show later than the others and they had already made the prints. I didn't want him thinking it was because she was a girl!

FairfaxAikman Thu 24-Aug-17 09:44:16

My niece wants items with them all on. We bought her a backpack and a small Skye figurine to compensate for the fact she wasn't included on the bag.

SequinsOnEverything Thu 24-Aug-17 09:44:40

I totally agree! You sometimes get marshall on the "girls" things too, but can't get say rubble and skye on one thing. Those are dds favourites. Why can't all the pups be together!

RozDoyle Thu 24-Aug-17 09:45:40

Also Chase is a wanker.

Gonegonegone Thu 24-Aug-17 09:45:43

100% right

Same with peppa on gurjs clothes &George on the boys

readyforno2 Thu 24-Aug-17 09:46:13

Nothing helpful to say, but I totally agree. Skye is my ds(5)'s favourite too and has been since he first started watching Paw Patrol

ISaySteadyOn Thu 24-Aug-17 09:46:49

Offs. Skye flies. Who wouldn't like the pup that flies? I totally understand the frustration and fwiw, it's little things like this that pave the way for bigger everyday seismic.

Mol1628 Thu 24-Aug-17 09:49:58

I agree as well. It is ridiculous that they thing boys can't/won't like Skye and girls will only want the girl pups on merchandise!
But Rubble is clearly the best pup anyway.

PastaOfMuppets Thu 24-Aug-17 09:50:58

Does it also annoy anyone that Skye (and now Everest) seem to have been added in as the token 'girly' pups? Out of the six main pups, one is the girl and she's in bright pink. I have found myself purely out of rage referring to all the pups as "she" and "her" so DD doesn't notice that the girls' characters are always so secondary.

Sleephead1 Thu 24-Aug-17 09:51:01

My little boys favourite is rocky but lots of the stuff just has chase, marshall and rubble on. Dont know why ? He also really likes everest but yes shes on hardly anything.

Moomintroll85 Thu 24-Aug-17 09:51:38

Yanbu! My 3 year old DS loves Skye and is pretty confused and put out by her absence from his t-shirt, cup/bowl etc. Rocky is my fave personally grin

PassiveAgressiveQueen Thu 24-Aug-17 09:52:07

My son is 11 now and he loved peppa pig, then they only made girl clothes, which my son wore, and his dad hated.

zoobaby Thu 24-Aug-17 09:54:27

It's just stupid. Marketing people are living several decades in the past.

Sainsburys currently have a set of girls underwear with Marshall - I was most shocked to see his face staring back at me after I'd shown my enthralled potty training DD the Skye and Everest ones. Funny thing is, she requests him the most!

I was shopping for pyjamas on the M&S website last night and discovered that you can no longer filter by sex. Oh man it was soooooo annoying having to sift through all the products clearly designed for girls (pink, pink, pink, sparkle, sparkle, sparkle, fluff, fluff, fluff) to find the stuff for the boys (blues, greys, oranges, greens, action characters). Why have they done that? Its pointless trying to be gender neutral on their website when clearly the actual items are designed for one sex in particular.

WhatInTheWorldIsGoingOn Thu 24-Aug-17 09:58:17

I use her and she for Zuma. Nothing to say it's a boy so it's a girl.

Pile of horse shit of a program anyway.

FetchezLaPhoque Thu 24-Aug-17 09:59:18

Yes this is really annoying. My daughter has "boy" Paw Patrol pajamas because they were cheaper and had more colours on them than the girls' ones. Skye isn't on them though 😡

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now