Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to be sad I won't be able to take this job?

(39 Posts)
QueenOfVipers Thu 24-Aug-17 07:16:50

I currently work around 3 days a week ish (sometimes a little more sometimes less but that's on average)
4-5 days a week and shorter days (4-7 hours a day vs 8-13)
Local job advertising for a manager (currently a supervisor)
I applied, next day they offered me an interview (interview was yesterday).
I went along, interviewer seemed very impressed and I was really happy.
It's an hourly rate job.
I asked about the pay and got told it's basically NMW (12p an hour more) I make over 40% more than this.

This job is an amazing location (5 min walk vs 30min train and 10 min cycle or 15 min drive) great progression etc offered and I REALLY need the step up this would give but I just can't afford it!

I have a feeling I'll be offered it - only 2 other candidates both of which I spoke with (group interview) neither match my experience (it's a role which includes managing two teams, I've experience supervising/covering for a manager with both sometimes at the same time the other candidates only have one) and I am very local which I know is attractive to them.
I don't think there's much scope for negotiating either - I'd need at least 20% more and apparently pay rates are fixed at this amount.

Aibu to be sad I won't be able to take it, and very slightly miffed I wasted time, childcare and effort for a job I can't even take if offered when they could've just put the salary in the job ad (vs "competitive" ).

QueenOfVipers Thu 24-Aug-17 07:17:32

Sorry I meant to put the 4-7 hour days vs 8-13hr days below where it is.
That's the new job vs the job I have now so sorry for any confusion

pollyhampton Thu 24-Aug-17 07:20:07

NMW for a manager's job? So you'll be earning roughly the same as those you manage? No way, definitely not worth the extra responsibility. I can understand your disappointment though.

TanteRose Thu 24-Aug-17 07:20:30

you have nothing to lose by asking them if they will negotiate on the salary.

but obv wait for the offer!

best of luck

StealthPolarBear Thu 24-Aug-17 07:21:27

How on earth could they describe the salary as competitive?

bettybyebye Thu 24-Aug-17 07:21:33

Did they ask you to put your current salary on your application? If they did, they may expect you to ask for more anyway - at my place we wouldn't generally interview someone who currently earned a lot more than we are offering. All may not be lost, if they offer it to you I would say it's definitely worth trying to negotiate a better salary.

aurynne Thu 24-Aug-17 07:22:11

Negotiate!

Redtartanshoes Thu 24-Aug-17 07:22:11

Drives me mad when they don't advertise a salary.

TBH they will probably offer you they job, as it will be a total bargain in there eyes if they can get some one qualified and experience for peanuts.

Even if you progress though you'll still be on a shit wage.

I wouldn't bother. A) because you can't afford it and b) a company paying their staff so much lower than average isn't one id want to Work for

BikeRunSki Thu 24-Aug-17 07:23:03

Is there no way you can manage the short term pain for the long term gain? I took a 30% pay cut 13 years ago for a shorter commute, more satisfying job a day flexi time and I have never looked back. Although I did this before we had DC, so finances were not as stretched as they are now.

OliviaStabler Thu 24-Aug-17 07:23:43

Wait and see if they offer. If they do say you'd like to accept but can't take less than £x.xx per hour and see what they say.

QueenOfVipers Thu 24-Aug-17 07:24:09

I will try to negotiate if offered, just feel a bit miffed and disappointed really.
It's the fact I wouldn't be able to have the same things I do now - I'm not rich but reasonably comfortable. If I took this job I'd be struggling and I don't want that. I wouldn't mind pay the same as mine or a bit less as after a year or two I'd piss off to a competitor with the experience I desperately need under my belt

rjay123 Thu 24-Aug-17 07:24:27

12p per hour more than the staff you will be managing?! Tell them to take a hike

PoppyFleur Thu 24-Aug-17 07:25:00

OP - what are the costs associated with your current job i.e travel, parking, childcare etc in comparison to the new role?

aaaaargghhhhelpme Thu 24-Aug-17 07:25:10

How disappointing.
I would also argue that just above NMW for a managers role is hardly 'competitive'!

To be honest I'd be really wary of a company prepared to treat their staff like this. It doesn't bode well. (Unless they expect you to haggle with the salary as some companies do)

If you get an offer, suggest a wage. But don't be surprised if they say no. I'd walk away from this anyway.
Sorry. Appreciate how frustrating it is - especially when you've arranged the childcare etc flowers

QueenOfVipers Thu 24-Aug-17 07:27:34

Travel would be a bit cheaper, but I'd still spend the same if not more on childcare as I'd need to pay for more days. It wouldn't offset the cost of the loss that's for sure.

Nuttynoo Thu 24-Aug-17 07:27:43

I argue that a NMW job isn't a management job at all & they were using incorrect job descriptions. Don't take it as your actual work wouldn't map to your job title.

Ameliablue Thu 24-Aug-17 07:28:07

Doesn't sound like much of a step up of the wages are so much lower.

SpiritedLondon Thu 24-Aug-17 07:29:33

Blimey what a swizz. I take it it's not a start up?

QueenOfVipers Thu 24-Aug-17 07:30:36

I mean the step up experience wise. It's been really tough for me to take that one step I've been trying for around a year and a half now - not many jobs come up in my area and they generally want a couple years of experience in the role which I don't have. While I am experienced and have covered the role for up to 3-4 weeks at a time I've always been "supervisor" not "manager" so I don't have the experience the other jobs want. This is the 2nd job to actually interview me (the first was a huge bullet dodge as they shut down not 2 months later so thankfully I didn't get the job!)

ButchyRestingFace Thu 24-Aug-17 07:34:13

it's a role which includes managing two teams

For 12p above NMW?

Wowzers. Sounds terrible. I wouldn't want it, for that reason alone.

StealthPolarBear Thu 24-Aug-17 07:34:35

There's something not right with this job though.

Phalenopsisgirl Thu 24-Aug-17 07:44:35

Deal with this once they make the offer, simply explain you aren't willing to take a pay cut and see how they respond.

TheMogget Thu 24-Aug-17 08:05:38

Maybe the interviewer got it wrong. Wait and see if you get offered the job and then enquiry about salary etc. You should negotiate but anywhere who doesn't value staff enough to pay more than a pittance is worth avoiding.

Ameliablue Thu 24-Aug-17 08:15:41

Thing is though, you might find it harder to get a good management job in the future because the wages are so low. It just rings alarm bells.

Alanna1 Thu 24-Aug-17 08:18:35

Wait and see and then negotiate.
I wouldn't take it though for that much lower - suggests they don't value you enough, or there's a problem with the company.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now