Talk

Advanced search

Wedding hashtags

(18 Posts)
RangeTesKopeks Wed 23-Aug-17 21:07:54

Yay or nay?

(Didn't know this was a 'thing' until recently.)

RangeTesKopeks Wed 23-Aug-17 21:19:40

What do the MN jury say? Cringey or not?

horsesforcorses Wed 23-Aug-17 21:20:32

I find them cringey to be honest but they are a good way of keeping photos together so if you like the idea then go for it! But of course some people wouldn't like their day publicised.

cardibach Wed 23-Aug-17 21:22:27

I don't know what they are. I know what a wedding is. I know what a hashtag is. I can't see any possible connection.

Bobbiepin Wed 23-Aug-17 21:23:55

Wedpics is much better. Mostly private and pics all in the same place.

HoneyIshrunktheBiscuit Wed 23-Aug-17 21:25:01

They're usually just to link photos on social media aren't they? At least they have a purpose.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Wed 23-Aug-17 21:25:15

I don't know! I want people to send us photos, but not via tagging on Facebook, so a hash tag seems easier, but so tacky the same time..... Aaargh!

HanarCantWearSweaters Wed 23-Aug-17 21:28:28

I have a friend who hashtagged her Facebook posts in the weeks leading up and then every photo post or thank you after with eg #smithwedding. Then she had a baby and hashtagged every scan picture or complaint about swollen ankles with #smithbaby.

It was their anniversary last month and she FUCKING COMBINED THEM. #can'tbelievethiswasayearago #smithwedding
#nowthere'sasmithbaby

FACEBOOK DOESN'T FUCKING USE HASHTAGS YOU TIT.

LellyMcKelly Wed 23-Aug-17 21:28:36

Set up a private wedding group on Facebook and people can post on them there.

ShortLashes Wed 23-Aug-17 21:28:58

For photos? Useful, if you have friends that will be up for it! I enjoyed looking at the eclectic mix people had taken. It's much easier for your guests to use a # than have to send them to you via some other means later.

IncyWincyGrownUp Wed 23-Aug-17 21:35:34

Hanar yes Facebook does use hashtags. I think they're fucking horrendous, but they do work.

CatsCantFlyFast Wed 23-Aug-17 21:36:14

You can use and search hashtags on Facebook #irrelevant

ShortLashes Wed 23-Aug-17 21:57:34

There's a nifty little tool - www.ittt.com (if this, then that) - that I used so that when people uploaded a pic to Instagram, it automatically got uploaded to a folder I made on Flickr. You can set up any command to suit the social media channels you use.

ShortLashes Wed 23-Aug-17 21:58:20

(Using the hashtag, that is)

ShortLashes Wed 23-Aug-17 22:01:13

Sorry, the website is www.ifttt.com

PollyFlint Wed 23-Aug-17 22:45:32

FACEBOOK DOESN'T FUCKING USE HASHTAGS YOU TIT.

Er ... yes it does. Facebook has used hashtags for ages, Hanar. They've been usable and searchable on Facebook, just as they are on Twitter, for at least four years.

So maybe ease off the angry caps lock with this one.

HanarCantWearSweaters Wed 23-Aug-17 23:17:38

Whoops. Quite glad I kept my irrational rage to myself then until now
I will scroll past her posts without so much of an eye twitch now.

HappySpade Wed 23-Aug-17 23:24:20

Here's a good satirical article on the pitfalls of not getting it right

www.thebeaverton.com/2017/05/local-couple-calls-off-wedding-failing-come-good-hashtag/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now