Talk

Advanced search

Selling something that I gave for free

(110 Posts)
Wilberforce2 Wed 23-Aug-17 21:05:19

Just been on Fb and a family member has shared a link from a selling site to a really nice piece of furniture that I gave them last year. Furniture was hardly used but when my step son moved in it wasn't big enough so I gave it to family member and we bought a new one. They now obviously don't want it anymore and are selling it for £100, I don't expect any of the money because if I wanted money I would have sold it but I can't help thinking you shouldn't sell something that someone gave to you for free? I would have preferred her to give it away to someone else or to charity.

AIBU or not?!

x2boys Wed 23-Aug-17 21:07:14

Well it's a bit rude but if you gave it to them it's there's now to do with what they want surely

DodgyGround Wed 23-Aug-17 21:09:40

I've always been prepared to assume that a gift means it's no longer mine. So I can't say what they do with it.

If I'm not prepared for that, then I don't give it in the first place.

JustHereForThePooStories Wed 23-Aug-17 21:10:18

YABU. It's theirs and they can do what they want with it.

inlectorecumbit Wed 23-Aug-17 21:14:07

Contact them and say that as they have no longer any use for it can you have it back... Then sell it yourself.

WanderingTrolley1 Wed 23-Aug-17 21:16:45

It does seem a bit off to me.

SuburbanRhonda Wed 23-Aug-17 21:19:19

Perhaps they're of the view that since you gave it to them, it's - you know - theirs?

Uokbing Wed 23-Aug-17 21:20:25

Technically i guess you gave it to them as a gift so it is theirs to do as they please.

But really......who the fuck does this? So cheeky!

Tilapia Wed 23-Aug-17 21:24:18

It does seem a bit cheeky! For a small item I'd say YABU, but a £100 item of furniture is different.

Wilberforce2 Wed 23-Aug-17 21:24:33

Yes technically it is theirs as I gave it to them but it's bloody cheeky, I just wouldn't have the front to make money from something someone gave me.

Maybe it's just me!

NataliaOsipova Wed 23-Aug-17 21:25:49

Agree with Uokbing. Technically it's theirs, but it's just not in the right spirit.

StillDrivingMeBonkers Wed 23-Aug-17 21:26:04

Perhaps they need the money?

NotTheCoolMum Wed 23-Aug-17 21:27:28

Rude. Ask for it back

TenForward82 Wed 23-Aug-17 21:28:13

hmm

coddiwomple Wed 23-Aug-17 21:29:21

well, it's theirs now, I can't see the problem. Would you prefer that they throw it away? They did you a favour by taking it away from your hands, they no longer need it, so it's fair to sell it.

I really don't understand why it's cheeky.

DramaAlpaca Wed 23-Aug-17 21:29:41

Not just you. My SIL did something similar, selling something on FB that I'd given her & I wasn't impressed. I never said anything, but I thought it was cheeky.

PacificDogwod Wed 23-Aug-17 21:30:36

YABU.

You gave it away, I presume without any conditions attached, it is no longer yours.
It is theirs, to dispose of as they see fit.

nina2b Wed 23-Aug-17 21:30:52

It is rude. If people cannot understand that, they are perhaps likely to do the same.

MrsTrebus Wed 23-Aug-17 21:31:17

Someone did this to me. She asked for the items as we wade donating them (and a lot of other stuff) to a flooding charity so we gave her them and dropped them at her house then she sold them! I never felt the same about our friendship and let it fade out. I recently found out she did the same with gig tickets to another friend.

MikeUniformMike Wed 23-Aug-17 21:31:41

Maybe they need the money.

HerOtherHalf Wed 23-Aug-17 21:32:51

Would you be happier if they just sent it to landfill?

coddiwomple Wed 23-Aug-17 21:33:30

why is it rude? What are you supposed to do with the gifted items? Give them back (and offend whoever gave them away?) Bin them (how wasteful)

I think it's completely different if someone ask for a specific item, or if they are offered something.

Barbiessharpfeet Wed 23-Aug-17 21:34:32

Yabu. Once it's gifted it's not your concern anymore. It's strange to think otherwise.

PacificDogwod Wed 23-Aug-17 21:34:38

I really don't get how this is 'cheeky' confused

highinthesky Wed 23-Aug-17 21:34:49

I think it's bad karma to profit from anything given as a kind gesture.

It's the ultimate slap in the face, so don't bother to gift that family member again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now