Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to ask ex to pick up DD

(119 Posts)
Wetwashing00 Wed 23-Aug-17 20:55:38

I'll try not to drip feed, please bear with.
I'm due to move 15 miles away from our current home. Ex-p has always lived less than a mile from us and can easily walk to pick up our DD, even though he rarely does and regularly bullies me into picking/dropping her myself.
I haven't told him yet that we are moving and I'm just worrying over his reaction. I just don't want to be bullied into doing all the handing over as he will no doubt say it's my choice to move so far away and he will also imply that I'm doing it to make it harder for him. He doesn't drive, but there are buses/trains to the new house. I agree that it's not not going to be as easy for him to pick her up but am I really being unreasonable to ask that he collects her and I will pick her up? Trying to keep this fair for both of us.

HeartStrings Wed 23-Aug-17 21:02:08

To be honest if he drove it would be different but considering he doesn't and would have to take public transport I'd say maybe you should make the effort as you're choosing to move further away and it's not fair on him.
Having said that if he doesn't make the effort now when he's living closer then he's going to make even less of an effort after you move.
I get that you have your reasons for moving so far away so I guess it depends on how much he wants to see his DC

RainbowPastel Wed 23-Aug-17 21:06:39

You are the one choosing to move away so you should do the majority of the picking up and dropping off.

lunar1 Wed 23-Aug-17 21:10:14

15 miles on public transport is not going to be fun for anyone, especially your child. You are moving, you should do the lions share of the transport and costs incurred.

Wetwashing00 Wed 23-Aug-17 21:10:59

His GF drives him about for everything but they are currently without a car, although I don't think this is permanent.I will end up doing it forever if I don't put my foot down as it will only ever be me or his GF otherwise. I know that she's not happy about doing it on his behalf and they have had rows about it. But I don't see why getting on a bus is really that much big of a deal, it's to see his child.

ChevalierTialys Wed 23-Aug-17 21:11:41

You're moving 15 miles away, knowing that will result in DD spending loads of time on public transport in order to see her Dad and you're wondering if its unreasonable to make him do all the travelling.....?

Think we need more information, because from what you've said it just sounds like you're massively selfish and YABU.

caffeinestream Wed 23-Aug-17 21:12:08

I think as you chose to move, you should do half the travelling.

caffeinestream Wed 23-Aug-17 21:12:53

*more than half, sorry.

Mama234 Wed 23-Aug-17 21:14:35

I think if you move away you do the traveling.

Wetwashing00 Wed 23-Aug-17 21:14:35

If pp would read my op I did say I would pick her up if he could collect her. So that being half of the travelling. Of course I would expect to do at least half

Mrscropley Wed 23-Aug-17 21:15:27

How old is dd?

Tiptoethr0ughthetulips Wed 23-Aug-17 21:15:52

If you drive and it's 15 miles then unless you're ill I'd do the pickup and drop off. You're moving and he doesn't drive, even if it does set a precedent it's not such a hardship really.

Muddlingalongalone Wed 23-Aug-17 21:16:49

For me if you are "choosing" to move then you should be doing the travelling especially if you drive and ExH doesn't but it also depends on why you're moving.
How old is your dd? Will she be able to travel on public transport soon?

Wetwashing00 Wed 23-Aug-17 21:17:20

The only other info I can give is that on certain handing over times I will already be in work so I'd be unable to drop her over until the next day. Which would then mean he misses out on one evening with her, he will probably kick off about that too

SisterhoodisPowerful Wed 23-Aug-17 21:18:40

On MN, any woman who moves even 10 feet is labelled selfish. A man moves 250 miles away, refuses to pay maintenance and is an asshole is still classed as a necessary parent. Despite doing nothing. 🙄

You're allowed to move. And moving away from a bully is a good plan. He steps up and does half.

BoneyBackJefferson Wed 23-Aug-17 21:19:13

You move, you should do the travelling.

The only other option that I can see would be that (if the school is in the same place as he lives), he gets her from school/club on Friday and drops her off at school/club Monday and possibly the same overnight in the week.

Wetwashing00 Wed 23-Aug-17 21:19:52

she is 10, not old enough to travel alone. It's the only property that has been offered to me and my DD will benefit from her own room. She currently shares with a younger sibling which causes problems between them

RainbowPastel Wed 23-Aug-17 21:23:14

I think you should do at least 2/3 of the travelling.

Gimmeallthecoffee Wed 23-Aug-17 21:23:24

In all honesty I think your being a little selfish and your ex will have every right to be annoyed and upset over this. Public transport is pretty grim at the best of times, particularly in winter or when it's raining. There's then also the cost and also the fact that buses/trains aren't always reliable.

ShutTheFridgeUp Wed 23-Aug-17 21:28:25

I know someone who does a 4 hour round trip every other weekend to pick up his son.
I don't think you are being unreasonable at all, especially as you are offering to do a pick up.

Handsfull13 Wed 23-Aug-17 21:33:21

As harsh as it may sound, if he isn't willing to do the journey to see his child then is he worth having around in their life.
He can bitch as much as he want but if he want to see DC that much then he will do it.
Definitely offer to pick up not drop off or he will turn it around and refuse to drop off once he has DC forcing your hand

chitofftheshovel Wed 23-Aug-17 21:33:39

Presumably you are moving to a place with good public transport links?

scrabbler3 Wed 23-Aug-17 21:35:16

10? In a year's time she will be able to get a bus on her own. Meanwhile, for the sake of harmony, do as much as you can to make it easy on everyone (including you - you don't want to argue with her dad if it's avoidable I guess, life's too short).

caffeinestream Wed 23-Aug-17 21:38:34

I think most decent parents would be willing to travel 10 miles to see their child - it's hardly the other end of the country! I think you've been reasonable in agreeing to do 50% and actually, re-reading your posts, your ex needs to step up. You only live a mile away from him at the moment and he already moans having to come and collect her? Pathetic.

If he doesn't drive, he needs to find another way of getting there. Plenty of parents don't drive and they manage just fine - they walk, get taxis, get the bus/train, cycle, etc. If he wants to see his child, he'll do any of those things to get there. Or learn to drive.

A grown man who moans about walking a mile to see their kids sounds a bit ridiculous, to be honest.

FloweryTeapot Wed 23-Aug-17 21:42:57

But I don't see why getting on a bus is really that much big of a deal

Getting a bus the 12 miles from my home to the shop where I volunteer takes an hour. Fortunately it's only 10 minutes walk to my local train station - the train takes 17 mins. If I had to take the bus I wouldn't go. How long is the bus journey in hrs and mins?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now