Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to refuse to change hotel?

(46 Posts)
DaisyMacDaisy Wed 23-Aug-17 13:33:53

Last month I used an online booking site to book a hotel stay for a weekend away next year. I have not paid anything as it is to be paid on arrival and I am able to cancel free of charge right up to the last minute. I have email confirmation of the booking.

I have just received an email saying that due to a technical problem the hotel is unable to accommodate us on the dates we booked. They have sourced an alternative hotel in the same city and want me to contact them to say I agree to this change and they will cancel my booking and send confirmation of the new arrangements.

The problem is I do not want to change hotels. We are going to the city for an event and the only thing that was important when finding a hotel was that we needed to be within walking distance of the event. The new hotel is further away and we would not be able to walk to and from the event.

My DH thinks this might be some kind of scam where they are trying to get you to cancel so they can sell the room for more. The email does not say what will happen if I do not agree to the changes and doesn't say my booking has been cancelled, only that we cannot be accomodated.

Should I just suck it up and agree to the change or WIBU to refuse to swap hotels. Would you contact them about it or just ignore the email?

PamDooveOrangeJoof Wed 23-Aug-17 13:35:23

If they can't accommodate you they can't accommodate you. I'd sort it out with them, else you may not have anywhere to stay.

Nicknacky Wed 23-Aug-17 13:35:47

Ignoring it isn't going to help, they have clearly said they can't accommodate you so you would turn up and have no room to go to.

You will need to look elsewhere.

Sirzy Wed 23-Aug-17 13:36:32

Surely you will just get there and have no room then? Sounds a bit risky to me!

rjay123 Wed 23-Aug-17 13:37:45

Have a look to see if you can book for your dates directly with the hotel?

LoniceraJaponica Wed 23-Aug-17 13:37:56

Basically what everyone else has said. Why would you ignore the email?

BarbarianMum Wed 23-Aug-17 13:38:21

Yeah, just ignore them and turn up anyway. That's a plan. hmm

I would contact them, and say that you chose that particular hotel because of its proximity to the event you are attending, and that you will only change if the hotel you are offered is of a similar (or better) standard, and is no further from the event.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Wed 23-Aug-17 13:40:01

Ignore it and you'll have no room. They can't give you a room if they don't have one!

It's highly unlikely to be a scam and much more likely to be a cock up with the booking. As they said hmm

swingofthings Wed 23-Aug-17 13:40:31

I'd contact the hotel directly say you'd like to book that weekend and ask if possible.

Considering it is close to the event I indeed wouldn't be surprised if they are doing what you're fearing.

imokit Wed 23-Aug-17 13:40:39

Cancel with them and find another hotel of your choice.

happystory Wed 23-Aug-17 13:40:45

If it's for next year could it be building work or something? To be honest I think they could have explained a bit better. I'd call them.

RatherBeRiding Wed 23-Aug-17 13:40:54

Of course you can refuse to change hotels. Of course you may turn up and find that they can't accommodate you, because they told you well in advance that they couldn't accommodate you on those dates. And then you'd have nowhere to stay.

In your shoes I'd accept it as genuine, cancel your booking and look for another hotel.

Fluffypinkpyjamas Wed 23-Aug-17 13:41:18

Should I just suck it up and agree to the change or WIBU to refuse to swap hotels. Would you contact them about it or just ignore the email?

YABU and weird about it. They can't accommodate you, simple as that. Up to you to ignore it but risk getting there and having no room grin

Viviennemary Wed 23-Aug-17 13:42:48

I think it's a bit of a scam. They advertise a nice hotel on line and you book it. And then lo and behold that's not available. Then want you to change. Just say no thanks and book with another scheme. If you've not paid a deposit I don't think you can insist on that particular hotel.

itsmehello Wed 23-Aug-17 13:44:11

Hi, yes don't ignore it. They have probably already sold the rooms at higher rates or see the potential that they will do so and are now trying to book you out.
You should flat out refuse it in the first place in writing. Then see what they'll come back with.

grandOlejukeofYork Wed 23-Aug-17 13:45:57

It's not a scam at all. there is nothing in this for them but hassle.

You can either take the other hotel or they will just cancel your booking. If you just ignore the email, they will cancel your booking.

This is a non-issue.

Fluffypinkpyjamas Wed 23-Aug-17 13:47:14

What site did you use to book it OP?

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Wed 23-Aug-17 13:48:32

If they've double booked they will honour the paid for booking vs the "unpaid and cancel any time" booking.

SoupDragon Wed 23-Aug-17 13:48:39

WIBU to refuse to swap hotels

How do you see that working out?

FairfaxAikman Wed 23-Aug-17 13:49:27

Thing about a hotel is rooms can be put out of commission through various issues and suddenly they are overbooked through no fault of their own.

I once worked in a very posh 5* hotel. We had a room put out of commission for a month after a first three a hissy fit and smeared shit across every wall, surface and soft furnishing. Whole place had to be disinfected and redecorated.

SunnySkiesSleepsintheMorning Wed 23-Aug-17 13:49:44

No no, don't ignore it! You'll turn up and have nowhere to go. At least, you are forewarned. I'd contact them via phone though.

ItsAllHarmless Wed 23-Aug-17 13:51:07

Why not ring the hotel direct to confirm that they are not able to accommodate you for sure. Explain that you received the email and you are worried it could be a scam. Then you will know for sure if it is a scam or whether you have to book elsewhere.

FirenzeRossignol Wed 23-Aug-17 13:51:20

First of all I would use a different computer or Private Browsing to try and book the same type of room you have already booked for the same date at the same hotel through the same website. That way you will find out if they are trying to sell similar rooms for more ...... it's unlikely - I would suppose that either they were having to close completely for a week or a month for building work to be done or that they'd had a block booking for a conference that wanted to take over the whole place.
I would then get back on line with a map and a hotel booking comparison site and find the most convenient place for you to stay that has availability for the dates you need and book it (hopefuly it will also be "book now, pay on arrival"). This will mean that whatever happens with the first booking you will have somewhere to stay for your event that meets your distance criteria.
Personally, I would then tell the original place that their proposed change is unacceptable because you need to be within 500 yards of X venue (or whatever) and see what they say. If the new place you have booked is considerably more expensive than the original price you could try telling them that you expect them to find somewhere that meets your criteria - even if it means that they have to pay the difference, although this approach is unlikely to work if it's a budget chain hotel.
I definitely don't recommend just ignoring the email. That is the best way to find yourself without a booking at all if they wait until the week before the event to cancel it when they realise you haven't replied to them.

If they do come back to you with a reasonable offer choose between that and the one you have found for yourself and cancel the one you don't need.

Good luck,

Flo

ronswansonstache Wed 23-Aug-17 13:53:59

I turned up at a hotel in a very isolated part of the US earlier this year. A (since fired) employee had double booked the Saturday bookings for that Friday, which meant that a large group of unlucky customers had absolutely nowhere to go. Don't ignore the email!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now