Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think my nurse shouldn't have reported me to social services

(120 Posts)
calmday Tue 22-Aug-17 23:15:59

Hi, I suffer from mental health problems. I've recently come off all my prescription medication. I bought some of the natural supplement 5 HTP to use to help my anxiety and low mood. When my CPN found out I'm taking this she reported me to the social work. So they're coming to see me soon. AIBU?

HeyRoly Tue 22-Aug-17 23:18:06

Clearly she has concerns about the ramifications of you stopping all of your meds in favour of a "natural supplement". Which sounds very unwise to me.

She wouldn't have reported you without major concerns for the safety of your children.

Bezm Tue 22-Aug-17 23:19:37

Maybe it's that she's concerned about you coming off your prescribed meds? See it as a supportive measure.

YABU
Coming off some prescription meds too quickly and without adequate supervision can result in serious side effects. Additionally, if those meds are stabilising your mood she is right to be concerned about the impact of you stopping.

WorraLiberty Tue 22-Aug-17 23:23:33

I think it's just the word 'reported'. It sounds horrible doesn't it?

In reality, it's a referral because she feels there's a chance you may need some support from SS.

Try not to worry about it and look at it as a positive thing thanks

Coming off your meds in favour of a natural supplement, does sound a bit worrying though.

StillDrivingMeBonkers Tue 22-Aug-17 23:23:34

It's a safeguarding issue.

ShapelyBingoWing Tue 22-Aug-17 23:27:00

It seems like she's done it to ensure there is support in place. It feels invasive, I completely understand that, but please try to look at it as a bit of extra help while you're off your meds.

PurpleDaisies Tue 22-Aug-17 23:29:08

Sorry you feel like this but it's better for her to raise concerns than not. Social services are there to help.

SaucyJack Tue 22-Aug-17 23:29:47

She's probably just covering her own back in the extremely unlikely event that something terrible were to happen to your family as a result of your choices.

Finola1step Tue 22-Aug-17 23:31:33

I take 5HTP and it is very good. But I have periods of low mood and anxiety. Not Depression or any other mental health issue requiring prescribed medication. AFAIK, it is really only for low level issues. Have you stopped your meds with GP support?

fluffycatpaws Tue 22-Aug-17 23:33:39

I had a safeguarding talk today, and if she had a concern for your health, she may have had to refer you to someone. If your health is at a big risk, she would have had to refer you, but would have had to let you know before she did so.

BackieJerkhart Tue 22-Aug-17 23:36:09

Is it possible she has no choice but to report to SS? If maybe that she has to when someone suddenly stops all their medication depending on their circumstances.

feathermucker Tue 22-Aug-17 23:36:27

They don't normally refer/report without good reason.

What's the back story here? Have you had SS involvement before?

MumIsRunningAMarathon Tue 22-Aug-17 23:38:56

You have DC?

Viviennemary Tue 22-Aug-17 23:39:19

It's really difficult to comment on this without knowing all the background. I agree that she may well be covering her own back. Try not to worry too much.

calmday Tue 22-Aug-17 23:41:44

Yeah I've had SS involvement before, because I was so mentally unwell that they were worried I couldn't look after my children. My partner told my CPN that the only reason I took 5 HTP was to get high (I have a history of hypomania). So there are concerns of how I'm acting around the children.

GetOutOfMYGarden Tue 22-Aug-17 23:45:25

OP, it's a safeguarding issue. You've previously been very unwell and you're coming off medication that allowed you to look after your DCs without SS involvement.

I think it's very important you chat to your psychiatrist about the 5HTP, especially with your history of hypomania. It can worsen your hypomania as it's a serotonin precursor.

MumIsRunningAMarathon Tue 22-Aug-17 23:45:36

Well then. It's a justified concern.... don't you think?

calmday Tue 22-Aug-17 23:47:12

No I don't think it's a justified concern.

nocoolnamesleft Tue 22-Aug-17 23:48:47

It sounds like your nurse would have been putting their registration at risk if they hadn't referred to social services, based on what you say.

orangeowls Tue 22-Aug-17 23:48:52

She probably didn't have a choice. In the profession I'm in I have to report certain things, even though it could be nothing x

ASauvingnonADay Tue 22-Aug-17 23:48:56

It's definitely a justified concern.

DoJo Tue 22-Aug-17 23:49:31

It certainly sounds like a situation in which your family could require support and additional attention, particularly if your partner is making accusations about your use of the supplements. I can't imagine why else a nurse would consider contacting SS about you unless you believe she has a personal vendetta against you? I'm sure that everyone involved has you and your children's best interests at heart.

HeyRoly Tue 22-Aug-17 23:49:34

OP, I'm not one for searching out a person's backstory but in previous posts you've talked about having a diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia. So it sounds like your CPN's concerns are valid. And you usually have to be quite unwell to have a CPN in the first place.

Booboobooboo84 Tue 22-Aug-17 23:50:40

I think @calmday you just need to look at it another way.

Your dc are so precious to you I'm sure you would do anything for them especially to keep them safe.

You've been referred and in order to keep them safe physically and emotionally it's best to fully engage with SS.

Look at all the times children have been seriously hurt and everyone said I always thought something was up. You wouldn't want that for your children. Better to investigate more people and save more children than to not just to avoid offending someone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now