Talk

Advanced search

Shocked that hairdresser cancelled my appt because I was late!

(344 Posts)
Adnerb95 Tue 22-Aug-17 22:51:55

1st time at a new hairdressers this afternoon. Appointment was at 4:15pm for a cut and blow dry. I work 20 mins away, left in plenty of time but there had been an accident and so major traffic delays. I ended up arriving at the salon 8 mins late to be told by the stylist that she wouldn't be able to do my hair now, because she had another client at 5pm"and the turnaround is very tight".

I was almost speechless - never had that response before on the (rare!) occasions over the years when I have been a few minutes late.

It got worse. I was desperate to have a haircut so suggested that we forget the blowdry and I just have a dry cut. "We don't do that" . "Well, why not do a wet cut? That way, there is still plenty of time, since you won't be blow drying my hair, before your next client"

"We don't do that"

.??????????????.

I think this is not only ridiculous but completely unreasonable or is it me?

I have emailed the owner in advance of posting a public review to give her a chance of responding. In the meantime, I have now booked with another salon for a couple of days time (checked their policy - "we wouldn't cancel an appointment unless a client was at least 15 mins late")

Not only do the first salon have a very disgruntled customer who will certainly not recommend them, but they have lost my business for the next 4/5 years, probably. I was looking for a replacement for my lovely hairdresser of the last 7 years who has left for Scotland. So pretty naff commercial decision as well.

Nicknacky Tue 22-Aug-17 22:55:23

It's just you. You were late and they were the ones who lost out on money. They don't know you, they have no idea if you were a one off customer so I can't blame them, really.

It's just one of those things.

StillDrivingMeBonkers Tue 22-Aug-17 22:56:24

Why should you make everyone else that day late because you are running behind. Other people have commitments ie childminders and nurseries to collect from etc who will fine them.

I assume you booked with a reasonably high end establishment who will not want their customer leaving looking dishevelled.

Leave a bad review if you must, but to deliberately sabotage someone business because YOU were late is, IMHO, a prattish thing to do.

RhiWrites Tue 22-Aug-17 22:57:39

It is what it is. That's why I call if I'm going to be late. Maybe this isn't the right fit for you.

Alittlepotofrosie Tue 22-Aug-17 22:58:11

She still had plenty of time to cut your hair. She was just being an arse.

DiscoDiva70 Tue 22-Aug-17 22:59:09

There's no reason why she couldn't just cut your hair without the blow dry. It sounds to me like she couldn't be arsed to fit you in and just made up a lame excuse.

HarrietKettleWasHere Tue 22-Aug-17 22:59:35

Yes, but, you were late.

Another day, she might have been able to do it because she didn't have another client after. But she did. And you were late.

Delatron Tue 22-Aug-17 22:59:55

It wasn't your fault and I think anything less than 10 mins late is acceptable if you are very apologetic. I would email and explain about the accident and traffic. Not brilliant customer service from them.

Loopytiles Tue 22-Aug-17 23:00:55

if the salon doesn't offer dry cuts, it doesn't offer dry cuts.

HarrietKettleWasHere Tue 22-Aug-17 23:00:57

Lots of professional hairdressers don't like to do wet cuts, that's quite normal. They need to dry the hair to see if they've done a good job or not.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Tue 22-Aug-17 23:01:14

I think for the sake of 8 minutes she was pretty shitty.

I've been kept waiting by hairdressers/beauticians/opticians/doctors/teachers etc etc for longer than that without even so much as an apology.

BumWad Tue 22-Aug-17 23:01:25

YANBU

8 mins is ridiculous

Go ahead and write a shit review I would

LadyWithLapdog Tue 22-Aug-17 23:02:14

I think you suggested a good compromise and I'm shocked they were so unwilling to accommodate you. What if you needed the loo half-way (no, really), or whatever. I'm sure with some good will they could have managed the lost eight minutes or agreed to forego the blow dry.

LemonSqueezy0 Tue 22-Aug-17 23:02:53

I'd leave the review for a day or two - chances are you're reacting in anger, and not genuinely reviewing the hairdressers. If you aren't happy with their policy, don't go there again but I'd be annoyed if I was seen late due to previous clients being late so can understand the policy to be honest.

Nicknacky Tue 22-Aug-17 23:02:53

What difference does it make if she had needed the loo?!

RainbowPastel Tue 22-Aug-17 23:03:03

Your fault for being late. You would have put everyone else behind.

mastfest Tue 22-Aug-17 23:03:53

I hate it when I turn up on time to appointments and get seen late, now we know the reason why this happens...

Zvandelle Tue 22-Aug-17 23:04:36

Yes, bollocks to them. You were 8 mins late. An apology and the suggestion that she could miss out something should have done. In retrospect, a call may have been a good idea, but really? They missed out on cash, but maybe you missed out on a horrid hairdresser. Find someone else, and be glad!!

Bezm Tue 22-Aug-17 23:05:55

To write a bad review is just sheer nastiness. You we're the one who was late. Let it go.

AtSea1979 Tue 22-Aug-17 23:06:05

I think a few posters are being harsh. Sometime you are just late, traffic, misjudged time, DC pukes as you walk out the door etc etc. 8 minutes is nothing. She could have squoze that time back. Quicker at asking what you want, quicker wash, no brew etc she was being an arse and you def need to look elsewhere.

Grilledaubergines Tue 22-Aug-17 23:06:12

By making sure their standards are high, they keep their reputation as good stylists. It's not as simple as doing a wet cut or a dry cut. A decent stylist will see the job through properly to make sure the finish is good. Can't blame them really.

It's unfortunate and it does sound as though their turnaround is tight but they obviously need to fill their time to keep the business running profitably, and you were unlucky. I wouldn't make a public complaint or anything. I think you'd look worse than her in this type of situation.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Tue 22-Aug-17 23:06:27

She cancelled over 8 minutes. That's just pettiness of the highest order.
I'd understand if you were 30 minutes late maybe even 15.
Oh well its her loss as you just won't go back there. Well you'd be a fool if you did. I highly doubt its the only hair salon In your neck of the woods.

Nicknacky Tue 22-Aug-17 23:06:48

There isn't that much room in a 45 min appointment to lose 8 minutes.

Mysterian Tue 22-Aug-17 23:07:41

You shouldn't be posting on mumsnet with hair like that.

wink

sammylady37 Tue 22-Aug-17 23:09:12

Your fault, you were late. I always schedule apts giving myself extra time for unforeseen things such as road accidents, heavy traffic etc. Why should the next client be delayed because you didn't get there on time?

You're being arsey about saying they'll lose your business and that you'll post a bad review- but tbh if I read your review it would actually drive me towards the salon as I know they're unlikely to be running behind schedule.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now