Talk

Advanced search

Advice to chuck mucky stuff at care assistants

(32 Posts)
TvGingerTan Tue 22-Aug-17 14:33:10

Don't want to give too much info out for obvious reasons but was in training this morning (catheter removal and insertion) and the trainer said "take the old one out and chuck it at a passing care assistant or whatever - "

Everyone was laughing their tits off but as an ex care assistant is found this a bit offensive not to mention unprofessional. I'm not usually one to complain but in this case, WIBU?

Littlefrogletx Tue 22-Aug-17 14:36:45

Sounds like a harmless joke, don't think it was official advice.

LilyWhites325 Tue 22-Aug-17 14:36:47

No, that's really rude to care assistants! Yes it was a joke but still....

Witsender Tue 22-Aug-17 14:37:49

Chuck at or chuck to? The latter is less offensive imo.

RedBlackberries Tue 22-Aug-17 14:38:06

That's bloody rude angry.

Flyingflipflop Tue 22-Aug-17 14:40:56

Only if your complaint is signed off

Yours faithfully

A Humourless Nerk.

ZeroFuchsGiven Tue 22-Aug-17 14:42:15

I would take it as it was meant, A Joke!

RedBlackberries Tue 22-Aug-17 14:43:24

But care staff do such an important job yet they're constantly undermined in small ways like this. It chills away at the credibility of ge job.

Slightlyperturbedowlagain Tue 22-Aug-17 14:46:21

I think that's not acceptable tbh as it's targeting a 'less advantaged' group of workers. Saying 'chuck it at a passing surgeon' would be a valid joke.

dollydaydream114 Tue 22-Aug-17 14:48:10

Sounds dismissive and rude to me. Yes, it's a joke, but it's a joke at the expense of a low-paid and hardworking sector of the workforce. Not very nice at all. I have absolutely no time for people who sneer at people they consider to be more lowly than them.

Jokes should always "punch upwards". This one doesn't.

Imgrr Tue 22-Aug-17 14:50:00

If the trainer had said "chuck it at a passing care assistant, doctor, visitor or whatever" that would have been less insulting.
I've seen posts on here from care assistants on minimum wage with shit conditions receive support so why is the "joke" in the OPs post ok?

Sn0tnose Tue 22-Aug-17 14:53:23

I think that it was obviously meant as a joke and that the best response would be to set an example by making sure you treat the care assistants with as much respect as you would do the surgeons.

My job has grades. My colleagues at my grade talk about 'chucking' work at passing lower grades and the staff at lower grades talk about chucking it straight back up again. It's not meant to be offensive and I think it would be an over-reaction to formally complain.

PennyTentiary Tue 22-Aug-17 14:57:02

Carer here. I would assume it was meant to be a joke but advise the trainer to get better material because it's shit.
When we do everything we do for the pay that we get it does cut a bit tbh. I don't think the majority of society view our job as important in any way. Some do once they need care or have a relative in care. But even then a lot don't appreciate us unfortunately. Luckily I absolutely love what I do!

fullofhope03 Tue 22-Aug-17 15:09:21

Sounds dismissive and rude to me. Yes, it's a joke, but it's a joke at the expense of a low-paid and hardworking sector of the workforce. Not very nice at all. I have absolutely no time for people who sneer at people they consider to be more lowly than them. Jokes should always "punch upwards". This one doesn't

Couldn't have put this better myself Dollydaydream And I used to be an HCA.

Butteredparsnip1ps Tue 22-Aug-17 15:14:31

No, I'd be fucking raging at this.

It reminds me of the time, as a young student nurse, assisting in theatre the anaesthetist asked me to look after the"jokes" after a breast reduction. He meant the removed breast tissue.

It is inordinately disrespectful and I would be giving an earful to anyone I heard say anything similar.

Sashkin Tue 22-Aug-17 15:15:34

It definitely gives the impression that care assistants are there to clean up your mess, which they very much aren't.

I personally bollock any of my team who leave stuff lying around for the nurses to clear away. It's really rude and disrespectful. If you don't know where the sluice is, ask. They aren't your mum, or your handmaid. If somebody offers to help me tidy up I appreciate it, but it's a kind favour not their job.

SpuriouserAndSpuriouser Tue 22-Aug-17 15:23:06

I'm afraid that a joke like that would cause me to mentally file the person who made it away in a box marked "twat".

(I'm also an ex-care assistant)

harlandgoddard Tue 22-Aug-17 15:32:36

I'm a care assistant, it would be fine if it was a room full of care assistants but am I right in thinking it wasn't? I agree that's demeaning. To be fair I don't really care about being viewed as important or respected, I'd just like paying more.

I doubt the former will ever happen until a fair wage is paid.

Dee03 Tue 22-Aug-17 15:33:31

I'm a carer with a great sense of humour but I would find that offensive if I'd of heard it....jokes are meant to be funny angry

becotide Tue 22-Aug-17 15:41:15

I'm an ex care assistant and I would take this as serious advice, because that is exactly how care assistants get treated. We got paid the same as the kitchen assistants and cleaners. It's a fucking awful job but since the CQC insistance on qualififications, it's improved very very si
lightly

StickThatInYourPipe Tue 22-Aug-17 15:45:27

Does anyone have a sense of humour anymore?

sharksDen Tue 22-Aug-17 15:45:38

of course it was a joke.

StickThatInYourPipe Tue 22-Aug-17 15:48:07

I used to be an HCA, we made plenty of jokes about other professionals we were working with! Should I send them all an apology?

StickThatInYourPipe Tue 22-Aug-17 15:53:53

sharksDen It's honestly starting to get fucking rediculous! Love the picture!

Butteredparsnip1ps Tue 22-Aug-17 16:08:08

1. It's disrespectful to the patient. It is telling them their body fluids are disgusting.
2. Try the joke on another profession. Say the Radiographer, is it still funny?

It is about denigrating a low paid, predominantly female - and yes, that's relevant - workforce. I won't apologise for my sense of humour failure over it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now