Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This situation

(516 Posts)
Letstryagainshallwe Mon 21-Aug-17 21:28:03

I went out with my friend on Saturday night. Rare for me as I hardly ever go out. We went to a club had a good time then got to her car and she had a parking ticket. She was pissed off and moaning about how it's unfair that she has to pay out and none of us do as none of us drive except her (there was 4 of us out.) we get in the car and her sister suggests that we all pay some of it spilt between us. I said I couldn't as I don't have the money to pay out and it's not my fault she parked where she shouldn't have anyway she went ballistic! Because I refused. And kicked me out of her car at 4am in the middle of the street. Literally stopped the car in the middle of the road and told me to get out. I was miles from home and had to get out and ended up having to call a cab to pick me up. I haven't spoken to her since. Wibu for not contributing?

TwitterQueen1 Mon 21-Aug-17 21:30:05

Yes you were, since she was clearly giving you a lift.

Redberets Mon 21-Aug-17 21:31:10

How much was it? I'm thinking £25-35? So between 4 that would have been 6-8 quit each? I personally think as she drive you all you should have chipped in. I know I'd want to anyway.

She shouldn't have kicked you out on your own though, it put you in danger. That alone to me is worth ending a friendship for.

splatattack Mon 21-Aug-17 21:31:25

I would always offer to contribute..

Redberets Mon 21-Aug-17 21:31:38

*quid *drove

PotteringAlong Mon 21-Aug-17 21:31:54

If you had the money to go clubbing you had the money to contribute to the fine.

Letstryagainshallwe Mon 21-Aug-17 21:32:34

No she was saying it was £20 each! I don't know though I didn't see the ticket. Surely it's the drivers duty to make sure she's parked correctly since I don't drive so wouldn't be aware of parking restrictions.

OllyBJolly Mon 21-Aug-17 21:32:51

Yep - I would have offered without being asked.

Bet the taxi was way more than a split of the ticket.

NorthumbrianGirl Mon 21-Aug-17 21:33:01

I think you contributing would be the decent thing to do (you could have agreed to owe her the money if you didn't have it then). It can't have been that much split between the passengers.

Sounds like she doesn't feel appreciated for driving you about.

Kicking you out in the middle of nowhere is not on.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 21-Aug-17 21:33:20

You should have contributed. No question.

She shouldn't have kicked you out though.

MaidOfStars Mon 21-Aug-17 21:33:37

In your shoes, I would have accepted the split.

In her shoes, I wouldn't have suggested a split but would have taken a fiver if offered insistently.

In her shoes, I would NEVER dump a friend from a car at 4am.

Tapandgo Mon 21-Aug-17 21:33:41

Yes - of course YABU - you should all share the fine.
My pal (and a lot of other mourners) got a ticket for illegal parking outside a church when we attended a funeral. All of us in unison offered to share the fine - the driver had been kind enough to give us a lift after all.

EdmundCleverClogs Mon 21-Aug-17 21:33:44

How much did the cab cost?

joopy79 Mon 21-Aug-17 21:33:59

It's her responsibility to park legally not her passengers. However she was doing you a favour and because of that she got a fine, it would be kind to contribute to the fine, between 4 people surely it wouldn't be too much.

followTheyellowbrickRoad Mon 21-Aug-17 21:34:00

I would have offered too, unless I'd said not to park there and been ignored.

dudsville Mon 21-Aug-17 21:34:26

She shouldn't have kicked you put leaving you alone at 4 am. A friend doesn't do that. You paying your way is a good thing to do ams if you didn't have it on you or needed to save up then that's understandable. It sounds like the conversation didn't go down this more reasonable path though.

GetOutOfMYGarden Mon 21-Aug-17 21:34:28

Why did she get the ticket?

Did she overstay because the rest of you wouldn't leave the club? Then you should definitely contribute.
Did she park in a way that she shouldn't have because you lot encouraged her to? Then you should contribute.
Or is she just a cunty parker and you all told her not to park illegally as she did it? Then no, you don't have to contribute.

Scholes34 Mon 21-Aug-17 21:34:46

I think you can probably now appreciate how big a favour she was doing by giving you, and others, a lift.

KurriKurri Mon 21-Aug-17 21:35:40

How much did the cab cost ? Maybe by dumping you she was making the point that she saved you a lot of money in terms of taxi fares by giving you a lift.
You could at least have given her the money you eventually had to spend on the taxi - that shows you had some money in your purse.

I'd have offered to split the fine before her sister had to ask,she does every one a favour with the lift (and presumably can't drink for the evening) - bit mean she gets lumbered with the whole fine

dudsville Mon 21-Aug-17 21:35:47

Sorry I didn't realising it was a parking fine. Her responsibility but its still nice to contribute.

Letstryagainshallwe Mon 21-Aug-17 21:35:50

Cab was £10

VladmirsPoutine Mon 21-Aug-17 21:36:37

You were both being unreasonable. I take it that as you had money for a cab you could have at least contributed something towards the ticket.
Either way she shouldn't have kicked you out of the car at 4am.

pictish Mon 21-Aug-17 21:36:40

I assume that as the driver she chose where to park her car so I don't think you're being unreasonable.

RainbowPastel Mon 21-Aug-17 21:36:56

You couldn't afford to to contribute but you could afford a cab? You were very unreasonable why should she pay it all.

Babbitywabbit Mon 21-Aug-17 21:37:09

I would have offered my share of the split cost. But she was awful to order you out of the car at 4am miles from home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now