Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to think that a size 12-14 is not "Extra Large"?

(92 Posts)
Shoppingwithmother Mon 21-Aug-17 19:13:54

I have been thinking about trying something new exercise-wise when the school holidays finish and was thinking about Crossfit.

Just for background, I am way too fat - about a size 20, but have a lot of gym experience of all kinds of exercise, so would not be daunted by these classes - I liked the sound of it.

On the website they say it is "the ideal exercise programme for anyone, regardless of age or experience." So far so good...

I happen to look at the linked "Boxshop.me" merchandise website and was looking at the T-shirts. To be clear, I in no way expected them to have one to fit me currently. BUT..

This is their sizing chart:

S =size 6, M = size 8-10, L = size 10-12, XL = 12-14, XXL = 14-16

Due to my big boobs even at my thinnest and fittest (and I have been very fit) I would not fit in a top below size 16. So however hard I worked there, I would never be anything less than XXL in their opinion?

AIBU to find this a bit depressing for somewhere that purports to be for anyone to come and get fit and for it to put me off going?

Watto1 Mon 21-Aug-17 19:16:23

I thought this was going to be about Superdry. Their sizing is very similar. It is depressing, you aren't wrong theresad

Blazedandconfused Mon 21-Aug-17 19:16:50

That's rubbish. Im a 12. Slim, some muscle tone, with big boobs and just a small amount of baby weight and loose skin. I often feel large compared to slimmer more petit people. This sort of confirms it.

SweetChickadee Mon 21-Aug-17 19:19:16

I've not lived in the UK for a few years, but once had similar in French connection - size 12 and had to buy XL. Had a real WTF moment in the changing room

MumIsRunningAMarathon Mon 21-Aug-17 19:20:16

lots of sports clothing is sized this way i have found

thats not changed in years

Rayna37 Mon 21-Aug-17 19:22:01

I think Crossfit is American. So size 6 = a UK 10 etc.

Foxyloxy1plus1 Mon 21-Aug-17 19:24:47

It really is time that manufacturers and retailers sorted out the ridiculous differences in sizing. I can buy a 12 or 10 in Next, 12 in most stores, but H&M, New Look etc would be 14.

8-10 is no way medium!

GreyOwls Mon 21-Aug-17 19:25:42

I have a BMI & body fat percentage of 22/22% and a thigh gap but still have to buy a Nike size large. Depressing.

Argeles Mon 21-Aug-17 19:26:09

This method of sizing is a disgrace, and so many retailers seem to be going down this route now. Why can't they just size clothes 10-12, 14-16 etc instead of XL etc? And how can they define a 10-12 as Large for example.

They are just trying to add pressure to, and shame women when they have nothing to be ashamed of.

I have never heard of the online store you mentioned op, but I'll be sure to boycott them now.

Good luck with your clothes shopping (I don't know anywhere to recommend), and best of luck with your exercising.

Jedimum1 Mon 21-Aug-17 19:27:35

They might sell in China/Japan and have this ridiculous sizings. It's definitely not X-Large!!!! Spain has also similar sizing in some shops, my DH had to buy once a XXXL and he's tall and slim/normal size! Wears a UK Large just because his tall and doesn't like them too fitted.

Youcanttaketheskyfromme Mon 21-Aug-17 19:27:36

I can't see a 6 being a small anywhere. It has to be US sizing ?

Ecclesiastes Mon 21-Aug-17 19:28:18

YANBU for finding it depressing (well - maybe a little bit), but YWB massively U to let it put you off going to the gym. No-one knows (or cares) what size is written in your kit.

AnnMeredithPerkins Mon 21-Aug-17 19:28:19

if it is american, then thats not as bad - as their 12 is our 16

so...

S =size 6, M = size 8-10, L = size 10-12, XL = 12-14, XXL = 14-16
S =size 10, M = size 12-14, L = size 14-16, XL = 16-18, XXL = 18-20

coddiwomple Mon 21-Aug-17 19:30:14

It is a weird way to size, but it doesn't really matter. The important thing is that clothes fit right. (which is impossible to know unless you try 4 different sizes as nothing match angry...)

I would have said that 10 was medium, 12 large etc.. but if the manufacturer is only started as 6 being small, it kind of makes sense all the higher sizes get bigger.

WhereDoesThisRoadGo Mon 21-Aug-17 19:30:18

That is rubbish but I have the same experience often. I am a size 14-16 and all my sports kit is L -XL. As another poster said, this may be American sizes, in which case XXL should fit you. Give it a go.

Alternatively, I have found Nike Dry Fit a great range. When I was a size 18, I comfortably wore their XL stuff. Also good is the new range by Gap. I don't know what their sizing is like. And, of course, trustworthy M&S. Their sports range is lovely and goes up to size 22-24. Good luck!

Shoppingwithmother Mon 21-Aug-17 19:31:11

I suppose it's possible about US sizing, but the merchandise is specific to that local branch in England, and that prices are in £s, so it would seem a bit unusual.

Thank you Angeles 😀

Peachyking000 Mon 21-Aug-17 19:31:44

Sports clothing is sized very small unfortunately. Simply Be do a good range, as do Tu

Shoppingwithmother Mon 21-Aug-17 19:32:34

I meant (and typed!) Argeles- bloody autocorrect 😤

cardibach Mon 21-Aug-17 19:33:56

coddi in what world is 12 large? Medium maybe!

Shoppingwithmother Mon 21-Aug-17 19:36:39

Yes thanks for the suggestions - I have quite a bit of gym wear mainly M&S but also the odd nice thing from Tu and F&F.

I just felt a bit depressed that maybe cross fit is for anyone....as long as you are tiny....if I were a size 10 I would object to being classed as "large"...(although if I were to magically become a size 10 overnight I could probably get over it!)

KERALA1 Mon 21-Aug-17 19:36:45

Dh got me bike kit - all medium which I had to change to a large. I don't think I'm fat just normal mum age over 40 size 12 -14. He gallantly said it was Italian which is always cut very small but blush

BitOutOfPractice Mon 21-Aug-17 19:40:39

Why do sports clothing companies do this? I am a 12-14 in ordinary clothes. I have to buy XL in gym wear. It is absolutely crap

gwenneh Mon 21-Aug-17 19:41:14

Crossfit's awesome.

I'm a size 20 and I do it -- it is for everyone.

PencilsInSpace Mon 21-Aug-17 19:42:26

Why can't we do it all in inches/cm like men's clothes?

londonrach Mon 21-Aug-17 19:42:39

Bet they dont sell much then! Stupid labelling policy!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now