Talk

Advanced search

to think there's no such thing as ac 'accredited' holistic therapist?

(25 Posts)
Nemo1986 Mon 21-Aug-17 11:59:36

I've been looking into holistic therapy, trying to find out what the qualifications are, how it is regulated and how the charlatans can be differentiated from the Real Deal (a friend of mine is getting involved and retraining as one, but she is a whole other story...)

Anyway I have found therapists use kitemarks from:
The General Regulatory Council for Complementary Therapies
The Federation of Holistic Therapists
The International Alliance of Holistic Therapists
International Practitioners of Holistic Medicine
The list goes on and on! I find myself now asking which are the genuine regulators/accreditors! And does any of it mean anything anyway? I am now wondering whether there is actually any difference between a 'qualified' holistic therapist and an unqualified one.

I suppose it's not really an AIBU... but I would like to know if I am right in coming to these conclusions, and if anybody knows how the credentials of a holistic therapist can ACTUALLY be ascertained, I would be very glad to know!

CasperGutman Mon 21-Aug-17 12:11:45

It doesn't matter where they've trained or who they got their "qualifications" from. It's all a load of bollocks. It's possible some of them genuinely believe in it, though. It's even possible their clients find it helps, but that's probably got more to do with an individual's bedside manner than their training in crystals/handwaving/sugar pills (delete as appropriate).

Happy to help.

LizzieClaret Mon 21-Aug-17 12:24:31

The Federation of Holistic Therapists has an accredited register, and members have to undertake Continuing Professional Development each year to remain on the register.
This link explains more:
www.fht.org.uk/about-the-fht-complementary-healthcare-therapist-register

GlitterGlue Mon 21-Aug-17 12:26:32

I suspect they're along the lines of the secret clubs you had as kids. With a homemade certificate and a badge made from a cereal packet and a safety pin.

LizzieClaret Mon 21-Aug-17 12:30:11

Holistic therapies are not 'statutorily regulated'. But I think it's a good idea to go to someone who is qualified, and has appropriate insurance cover.

DJBaggySmalls Mon 21-Aug-17 12:31:49

YABU to use the term 'kitemark' in relation to holistic therapy. Its a specific, official term.

Loopytiles Mon 21-Aug-17 12:33:27

It's almost all woo: none of them are the Real Deal!

Rolypolybabies Mon 21-Aug-17 15:18:49

All medical professions, however holistic start as unaccredited. As a profession gains more research and status they can apply to be accredited and have a protected title. The protected title then means you cannot call yourself this unless you have a certain level of education, are registered with a regulatory body with a code of conduct and have relevant insurance. Osteopaths, physiotherapists and Chiropractors are registered and accredited. acupuncture,hypnotherapy and reflexology are not. This is not to say they don't work, just that the profession is not recognised at the same level.

Whatever you chose to do ensure you advertise legally, have a high level of insurance and do as high a level course as possible.

Good luck

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 21-Aug-17 15:21:39

It's almost all woo: none of them are the Real Deal! I disagree. It ranges from utter bollocks (homeopathy) to very effective and regulated (traditional Chinese medicine). The problem is that people aren't good at thinking and can't tell the difference.

Which are you interested in OP?

Nemo1986 Mon 21-Aug-17 16:21:21

DJBaggy oh sorry I just use the term kitemark to mean the symbols etc that they put on their websites to show that they are legit.

MrsTerryPratchett Okay - sorry, I didn't intend this to be a drip-feed but since you ask, the story in a nutshell is that my friend is going into business with this chap - let's call him Bob. Bob has created his own therapeutic approach, combining elements of (for example) hypnotherapy, aromatherapy and psychotherapeutic approaches. His qualifications include a BA in an unrelated humanities subject and a lot of certificates in various things including hypnotherapy, NLP etc.

My friend (with a BA ancient history) is being trained by him and is working towards 'qualified status' as a therapist (awarded by him- no affiliation with a college as far as I am aware).

I know it is non of my business, but I am just trying to establish the credentials of this man and his approach, and I'm finding it really difficult to do!

Alwaysatyke Mon 21-Aug-17 16:28:45

There are some holistic therapists etc who are on a PSA accredited register. The "accredited" bit means they have procedures in place for dealing with complaints, they keep a proper register of people who practise, they check cpd is being done and so on. It DOESN'T mean that their work is accredited - so it's not saying "we've checked them out and what they do is effective", it's saying "they're operating within specified professional standards".

They're voluntary, not statutory, registers. So people can operate without having to be registered (unlike, say, nurses) but I'd they claim to be part of xxx register and they're not (you can look people up) then you can report them for misrepresentation.

jay55 Mon 21-Aug-17 16:32:17

He sounds like a proper snake oil salesman.

BertrandRussell Mon 21-Aug-17 16:35:13

"It's almost all woo: none of them are the Real Deal! I disagree. It ranges from utter bollocks (homeopathy) to very effective and regulated (traditional Chinese medicine)"

I think Chinese medicine has taken a bit of a credibility hit recently......

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 21-Aug-17 16:37:07

his own therapeutic approach, combining elements of (for example) hypnotherapy, aromatherapy and psychotherapeutic approaches Pure cobblers then grin

As long as he doesn't deal with anyone with actual health issues, it should be fine. This stuff is great for diverting time-wasters away from the NHS. They can listen, waft some smelly oil around and press your feet. You feel better, they get paid, the GP doesn't have to hand out antibiotics to hypochondriacs. The placebo effect is great.!
The issue is when they actually think it works. On real illnesses.

Nemo1986 Mon 21-Aug-17 16:44:16

Yeah, I see what you mean. If people want to take a chance on £80 an hour that's their choice.
What are your views when it comes to mental health? They claim they can help with depression, anxiety, phobias, -- pretty vulnerable people. Ethical grey area?

scottishdiem Mon 21-Aug-17 16:44:57

Chinese medicine. Effective?

Effective at decimating vulnerable species certainly. And I think you would find more useful advice in "Household Medicine, Hair-Care and Simple Surgery" as published in the Ankh-Morpork Guild of Barber Surgeons.

Loopytiles Mon 21-Aug-17 16:54:53

Not a "grey area": unethical, snake oil peddlar. Shame on him, and your friend.

DorisDangleberry Mon 21-Aug-17 17:05:55

I guess Chinese medicine is effective at killing endangered animals, if nothing else

Powdered rhino horn anyone?

Nemo1986 Mon 21-Aug-17 17:07:35

Loopytiles I know, I feel extremely uncomfortable about it too! But what qualifications should therapists have? There doesn't seem to be a set standard...

DorisDangleberry Mon 21-Aug-17 17:14:08

I believe most alternative therapists should have, at a minimum, a bachelors degree in bullshit and masters in ripping off the vulnerable

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 21-Aug-17 17:16:30

Google Tu Youyou. TCM practitioner and chemist who helped save millions of lives after discovering anti-malarial, and got a Nobel prize. There are shitty aspects to TCM but genuine medicine as well. And no, tiger balls and rhino horn aren't medicine!

Treating MH issues like this is very worrisome. And possibly extremely unethical. I say possibly because there are woo peddlers who encourage a 'complementary' approach, where you still take proper medical advice while also having some lovely soothing woo to make you feel cared for, listened to, nurtured and better.

Then there are those who tell people GPs are poisoning them. Those ones are very unethical!

DailyMailReadersAreThick Mon 21-Aug-17 17:27:48

how the charlatans can be differentiated from the Real Deal

They can't, since there is no difference. They're all peddling snake oil.

You can be accredited by other charlatans.

BertrandRussell Mon 21-Aug-17 17:47:41

"how the charlatans can be differentiated from the Real Deal"

Easy. Check which medical school they went to, and how long for.

dingdongdigeridoo Mon 21-Aug-17 17:51:19

Even a cat can be a hypnotherapist! news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8303126.stm grin

CockacidalManiac Mon 21-Aug-17 18:11:49

The 'traditional chinese medicine' shops practitioners round here tend to be prosecuted frequently for claiming all kinds of dangerous bollocks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now