Talk

Advanced search

Or is this the most disgusting/disturbing song lyric?

(271 Posts)
CurlsandCurves Mon 21-Aug-17 11:05:47

It's been around for a while, and if I've misheard it, please do correct me.
Little Mix, 'Sad Songs'. Here we go...

'So tonight, I'm going to get my mind of it, don't care that someone's got his hands all over my body'

WHAT???

You're upset, trying to take your mind of it, in a club, someone's groping you and you're not bothered?

Makes me feel ill every time I hear it. And having done a lot of driving this weekend with kids who will not listen to anything but Capital, I've heard it a lot.

Creatureofthenight Mon 21-Aug-17 11:10:30

I don't think it's the most disgusting/disturbing but it's certainly not a sentiment I'd wish to encourage, and doesn't really fit with their girl power image.

OnionKnight Mon 21-Aug-17 11:12:35

There are much worse lyrics out there e.g. Robbie Williams - Rock DJ has a line about giving head for backstage passes.

DeleteOrDecay Mon 21-Aug-17 11:14:12

Yeah I find a lot of 'pop' songs have lyrics that are pretty explicit but in a covert way. Listening to a lot of songs from when I was a young pre-teen and I was shocked at some of the things i was listening too and most of it was pretty mainstream, pop chart stuff.

I suppose the argument is that song lyrics are down to individual interpretation?

Maudlinmaud Mon 21-Aug-17 11:16:03

Don't turn on MTV or similar. There is much much worse out there. It would depress a goat. But it has probably always been that way.

Maudlinmaud Mon 21-Aug-17 11:16:04

Don't turn on MTV or similar. There is much much worse out there. It would depress a goat. But it has probably always been that way.

Branleuse Mon 21-Aug-17 11:16:55

I always thought run for your life by the beatles was one of the worst

Spuddington Mon 21-Aug-17 11:18:22

It's not great but there's a song called Fuck The Pain Away, so...

ShaneBitchy Mon 21-Aug-17 11:18:45

My DC have a very amusing interpretation of Fifth Harmony's Work From Home.
Luckily they believe the song to be literally about 'working from home' and ponder over which jobs the girls may be doing grin

Urglewurgle Mon 21-Aug-17 11:19:41

Stay away from Blurred lines!

The line 'But I can taste you on the tip of my tongue' in Rita Ora's Your song always makes me feel a bit sick.

OoohMavis Mon 21-Aug-17 11:21:32

My toddler was dancing to 'smack my bitch up' as some guy was laying on the grass listening to it on our way back from nursery the other day! I'm glad the elder one wasn't with me..

Flyingflipflop Mon 21-Aug-17 11:22:54

*"With my little stick of Blackpool Rock, along the promenade I stroll
In the ballroom I went dancing each night
No wonder every girl that danced with me, stuck to me tight".*

George Formby mid 1940s.

Not a hugely different sentiment.

Flyingflipflop Mon 21-Aug-17 11:25:27

And actually what is wrong with the Little Mix lyrics. There's nothing to suggest that the groping won't be consensual.

OrgyofSausages Mon 21-Aug-17 11:26:02

If you want really grotesquely vile and sexist lyrics, look to Dr Dre in his NWA days. Still, he made millions off the back of them so clearly folk liked them.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Mon 21-Aug-17 11:26:28

Oh god yes - Smack My Bitch Up has to be worse surely?

I think a couple of Robbie Williams' songs have dodgy lyrics don't they? Isn't Candy a bit iffy? (Can't remember the exact wording now - something about bushes & holes).

NotACleverName Mon 21-Aug-17 11:27:55

That's quite tame hmm

noeffingidea Mon 21-Aug-17 11:30:04

Suggest you never listen to closer by nine inch nails then OP.

LemonBreeland Mon 21-Aug-17 11:30:50

I can think of much worse currently in the charts than that. It is all quite depressing.

19lottie82 Mon 21-Aug-17 11:31:55

Go check out some cradle of filth, OP!

Member341379 Mon 21-Aug-17 11:32:07

Most rhianna songs

Tanith Mon 21-Aug-17 11:33:01

All The Pretty Little Horses is a beautiful lullaby, until you get to the 2nd verse, usually left out when we sing it to children these days.

Hush-a-bye, don't you cry,
Go to sleepy little baby.
When you wake, you shall have,
All the pretty little horses.
Blacks and bays, dapples and greys,
Coach and six white little horses

Way down yonder, down in the meadow,
There's a poor wee little lamby.
The bees and the butterflies pickin' at its eyes,
The poor wee thing cried for her mammy.

All becomes clear when you learn that it was a Deep South lullaby sung by a Mammy to her charges, while she fretted about her own child left at home.
I've always found it disturbing, yet I love the tune.

OrgyofSausages Mon 21-Aug-17 11:33:40

And anything by Nicki plastic arse lips n tits minaj. She is desperately sexist and misogynistic.

HoneyIshrunktheBiscuit Mon 21-Aug-17 11:33:59

It's not even the most disturbing little mix lyric

*slaving in the kitchen, iced you a cake
Then I served you a plate, but that ain't what you ate*

I love them by the way

Coloursthatweremyjoy Mon 21-Aug-17 11:35:47

People don't really listen...my sons teacher made a DVD of photos for the children when they moved classes. It was very sweet...I wasn't sure about the "my friends are in the bathroom getting higher than the empire state" line in the soundtrack being suitable for 6 year olds though.

Same school used James Blunt's "Three wise men" in their Nativity..."(they) smoked nine till seven, all the shit that they could find"...it was NOT the clean version. A room full of children, parents and teachers and I swear I was the only one who noticed...best Christmas play ever!

OddMollie Mon 21-Aug-17 11:35:54

Yesterday I randomly remembered a song from my childhood in the 70s, and had to look it up to check I'd remembered it right. Sadly I had, and there really was a song called 'Who's going to iron my shirts?'

'Who's going to iron my shirts?' Dr Hook asks, along with other pressing questions such as 'Who's going to water my plants/who's going to patch my pants?' and 'Who's going to wake me on time/Who's going to say I look fine?' Not disgusting in a sexual way, but a depressing snapshot of the attitude that provided the background to our formative years...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now