Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be disappointed with Joss Whedon

(128 Posts)
BlueKarou Mon 21-Aug-17 11:00:10

Yes, I know it's just sleb twaddle, and it doesn't impact my life one bit...

That said, I really thought he was one of the good guys and it turns out he's an entitled cheat, as well as a gaslighting arsehole. It feels like a betrayal - he was supposed to be this feminist creator, this writer of strong women and equality, and it turns out he's just a regular creep.

Kai Cole's article.

ReadyPlayer1 Mon 21-Aug-17 11:03:21

YANBU. I am equally disappointed.

PrawnTempura Mon 21-Aug-17 11:07:26

Wow. Poor woman. Yes, very disappointing.

GeekyWombat Mon 21-Aug-17 11:07:33

It's the directly quoted justifications / attempts at apology that make it worse I think.

But yeah, YANBU.

BlueKarou Mon 21-Aug-17 11:10:03

The statement from his people at the end really pissed me off, for some reason - the little passive aggressive barb inferring he's the better person for not saying anything.

belleface Mon 21-Aug-17 11:11:06

<weeps> I thought he was a good guy too. Love Buffy

NotMyMonkees Mon 21-Aug-17 11:15:39

I'm getting more and more cynical as I get older, everything's fake it seems. Being a "nice guy" or a feminist is just the image that some powerful men choose project to increase their power.

MephistophelesApprentice Mon 21-Aug-17 11:16:51

You either die a hero or live long enough to become a villain.

Utterly unsurprising - most male feminists only espouse the view to get laid.

banivani Mon 21-Aug-17 11:16:54

I am not surprised at all. His "feminism" in his work is only skin deep in my opinion - a lot of self-congratulatory talk but not really a lot of substance when you look at it. So you're both NU because it is disappointing that someone who claimed to be better turns out to be a serial adulterer and liar like so many other dudes, and you're BU because it wasn't that surprising. ;)

BigDamnHero Mon 21-Aug-17 11:16:54

sad

Firefly is my favourite ever TV show. I thought he was a good guy. How very disappointing.

craftsy Mon 21-Aug-17 11:23:26

Read up on his appalling treatment of Charisma Carpenter when she told him she was pregnant while working on Angel. I loved him before that but his misogyny shone through then so I'm not too surprised now. Avengers didn't even pass the Bechdel test.

ThomasHardyPerennial Mon 21-Aug-17 11:23:59

Not surprised either. He has been riding on his reputation as a "good guy" for a long time, and he has said a lot of twatty things over the last few years. Doesn't seem to be a very nice person.

MephistophelesApprentice Mon 21-Aug-17 11:27:33

Oh gods, look at all those creepy 'self aware' confessions.

"Look how sensitive I am, I know EXACTLY how I've hurt you and why! Aren't I great for admitting it?!"

Men like him are almost worse than the ignorant thoughtless cat callers, because he literally does know better, but can't be arsed to be better.

Male feminists are losers.

jay55 Mon 21-Aug-17 11:29:47

What a tosser.

SorenLorensonsInvisibleFriend Mon 21-Aug-17 11:29:55

Wow, I had no idea it was that extreme. For a long time, I really considered him a hero mainly due to my love for Buffy.

I felt unsettled in the first episode of Dollhouse, but passed it off as it being a collaborative effort from the writers. The series didn't redeem itself for me. The Black Widow storyline in the last Avengers film reminded me of that bad taste of faint misogyny and unpleasant hint that maybe the Great Feminist might be just an act.

A million quid said he either had an affair with, or attempted to with Faith from Buffy, his writing treatment for her in that and in Dollhouse just made me feel squicky.

So, overall? Disappointed but even more disappointed that I'm not surprised at all.

JesusTapdancingChrist Mon 21-Aug-17 11:31:06

What. A. COCK.

This is precisely why my skin crawls the second a man describes himself as a feminist <shudder>.

AnUtterIdiot Mon 21-Aug-17 11:34:53

I love a lot of his work and that won't change, but his feminist credentials are pretty shaky. Have a read of his stab at a script for Wonder Woman. It's embarrassing. At one point he describes her costume as "tawdry".

Oysterbabe Mon 21-Aug-17 11:38:40

Oh no sad

peachgreen Mon 21-Aug-17 11:42:01

I'm utterly unsurprised, tbh. Joss Whedon is a self-proclaimed feminist who can only write women as a variation on one of three archetypes: strong asskicker (Buffy, Faith, Zoe), cute nerd (Willow, Kaylee, Fred, Penny) or mysterious ethereal beauty (Inara, River, Dawn). He fired Charisma Carpenter because she got pregnant (and referred to her as "that fat pregnant actress" on set) and was annoyed that she waited until her second trimester to tell anyone - despite the fact that she'd had a miscarriage previously and therefore wanted to wait until she was sure. He repeatedly uses rape as a plot device. He refuses to listen to women when they criticise his feminism (he even quit Twitter because of "militant feminists").

I feel extremely sorry for his ex-wife - it's an awful, awful thing to have happen to you - but I'm not surprised at all. I absolutely believe that men can be feminists / feminist allies but Joss Whedon is not one and never has been, no matter how much he likes to think it of himself. Imagine proclaiming yourself to be a a feminist whilst continually cheating on your wife and viewing your female colleagues as targets. Disgusting.

Therealslimshady1 Mon 21-Aug-17 11:45:55

I read all this, a bit confused...thought it was about Josh Widdacombe confused

Could not picture him as a bad one!

Showandtell Mon 21-Aug-17 11:49:22

so THAT explains the inexplicable focus on Eliza Dushku (crap actress extraordinaire)

SorenLorensonsInvisibleFriend Mon 21-Aug-17 11:53:43

Just read this and it crystallised all the slight "not sure about this" feelings I had. In a way, it's nice to see our instincts are good, but it is utterly awful for his wife.

I had no idea he was so cruel to Charisma Carpenter! I know he fell out with James Marsters, and was never sure if it was down to the Spike/Buffy rape thing, as Marsters made it clear he found that very difficult.

SorenLorensonsInvisibleFriend Mon 21-Aug-17 11:54:21

Would've been good if I'd added the link.......

https://www.themarysue.com/reconsidering-the-feminism-of-joss-whedon/

craftsy Mon 21-Aug-17 11:57:05

He did just fire Carpenter. He wrote her into numerous situations she was uncomfortable with. Then wrote her out of the next season without telling her she was fired. She found out when a journalist called her for a statement. Then they approached her to come back for the 100th episode after a family bereavement meant Sarah Michelle Gellar pulled out. She really didn't want to after the way she was treated but she eventually agreed stimulating she would only do it if Cordelia did not die. Whedon agreed, she signed a contract and then he sent a lackey to tell her Cordelia dies.

He's a fucking cunt for that alone. He was deliberately abusive because he could be. And he's so much more powerful than her that she has to couch her honesty about his abuse with glowing compliments about his genius.

SisterhoodisPowerful Mon 21-Aug-17 12:04:25

I didn't know about his treatment of Charisma Carpenter but I'm not surprised. I've only met 2 men who understand and support feminism. Many of the others who claimed to be turned out to be abusive; many with a history of sexualised violence.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now