Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To ask can you marinate something for too long?

(42 Posts)
Redberets Sun 20-Aug-17 22:05:10

I bought some chicken pieces today (use by 27th) and put them in a jerk marinade to have tomorrow. My mums now coming over for dinner on Thursday and she loves jerk chicken! Would it be ok to leave them in the marinade until then? Obviously they won't go off but will they go weird/not nice tasting if I leave them in that long? The ingredients, if that helps, are various spices, salt, chilli, soy sauce and lime juice. Thanks!

dertyyuoih2 Sun 20-Aug-17 22:07:34

Yeh they will go off it they are open and exposed for that long. Once a packet is opened and the air gets too it the use by date doesn't really mean anything as they go off.

I'd freeze it marinated then get it out thurs am.

AfunaMbatata Sun 20-Aug-17 22:08:39

Ewwww! Just make another batch when she comes.

Redberets Sun 20-Aug-17 22:09:20

They're now tightly wrapped in a sealed plastic bag if that helps? Probably better covered than they were in their original packaging. But I hadn't thought of freezing them, thanks!

missiondecision Sun 20-Aug-17 22:10:20

Put it in the freezer now. Take it out Thursday morning to defrost.
It will be off by then otherwise.

Redberets Sun 20-Aug-17 22:10:23

Why ewww? They have a use by date of next Sunday and I want to use them on Thursday confused the only difference is they have spices on them now?

Oysterbabe Sun 20-Aug-17 22:10:26

They will go off because they are open. You need to cook meat within a day or so once the packaging is open.

sonjadog Sun 20-Aug-17 22:11:43

You need to cook within a couple of days when meat has been opened. Freeze and defrost.

Redberets Sun 20-Aug-17 22:12:09

I'm not trying to be argumentative but why will they be off? They're in the fridge and more wrapped up now than they were originally - do you mean the marinade will make them go off? Because I would have thought the acidic marinade would keep them fresher for longer. I meant more would the flavour be affected rather than would they go off... I'm so confused now!

Hassled Sun 20-Aug-17 22:12:29

Yes, freezing and defrosting is probably the answer. Although as long as they're fully sealed in their marinade box/bag I'm struggling to see why they'd go off if they're still in date.

MimsyFluff Sun 20-Aug-17 22:12:42

I got a chicken Friday for a BBQ had 4 days left before it went off and it was off I'd freeze the chicken OP

Redberets Sun 20-Aug-17 22:13:28

But... but... they're more well packaged now than they were. They were in a plastic box with a film lid and now they're in a sealed plastic freezer bag which is full of marinade and tightly wrapped around the chicken in the fridge

StillDrivingMeBonkers Sun 20-Aug-17 22:14:12

They wont go off with a 30 second exposure to air before putting in a Tupperware box with marinade and putting back in the fridge for a couple of days.

Redberets Sun 20-Aug-17 22:14:14

But I will freeze them to be safe smile

JadeT2 Sun 20-Aug-17 22:15:51

Meat generally has a shelf life of 2-3 days in the fridge once open. I wouldn't risk pushing that til Thursday. Bacteria will start growing as soon as air touches them so by then they could make you ill. Definitely freeze them.

MimsyFluff Sun 20-Aug-17 22:15:59

Does anyone else find chicken goes off before the use by date? My fridge is fine so it's not my end?

blacksax Sun 20-Aug-17 22:16:07

They will have been packaged in a special environment with clean air inside the packaging. The use-by date applies only if unopened and now you've opened the packaging. As a pp says, just freeze them, and they will be fine.

AfunaMbatata Sun 20-Aug-17 22:17:38

It's ewww because once u open the packaging the meat starts to age.

caffeinestream Sun 20-Aug-17 22:17:57

It's because you've opened the original packaging. It doesn't matter that you've resealed it - it's been exposed to the air and other substances/bacteria and will go off.

LadyMaryCrawley1922 Sun 20-Aug-17 22:18:28

Ignore the stuff about it being open. People are obsessed with a the daft notion that chicken is hermetically sealed in the supermarket. What if you bought it in the butchers? It's no more open now than it was in its original packaging, and no more likely to go off if stored properly.

I think you can marinade too long, tbh, if there is acid in the mixture it can toughen the meat, if there is salt or spice it can get very strongly flavoured. It's not going to hurt you though.

kateandme Sun 20-Aug-17 22:18:29

Date only applies wen unfolded in original sterile packaged state.once opened that changes to 1-2 days.Wednesday maybe but I would say Thursday a tad too long hun.try freezing option.

Redberets Sun 20-Aug-17 22:18:38

Ok ok I'll freeze it grin

AfunaMbatata Sun 20-Aug-17 22:18:52

I don't mean age! Meh, too much wine

Btw I love jerk chicken and want some now

Oysterbabe Sun 20-Aug-17 22:19:15

The gas mixture inside the packaging is different than air to help preserve the meat. Once you have opened the packaging and exposed it to air you have to use it.

Oysterbabe Sun 20-Aug-17 22:21:05

And the difference with meat bought at the butchers is that the meat from the butchers will have a much shorter shelf life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now