Talk

Advanced search

To think a 4 day week teaching is still basically full time?

(101 Posts)
WhatEaglesWear Sat 19-Aug-17 16:32:30

Yes I'd have 1 day a week off but every additional duty would be mine?

It wouldn't seem reasonable to ask someone who only taught 1 day a week to do reports or meetings, attend evening school events.

Does anyone teach 4 days and feel the benefit of the day off?

Primary, it that matters.

EvilTwins Sat 19-Aug-17 16:34:41

If you had a 0.8 contract you would be expected to do 0.8 of meetings, INSET etc. Anything above that you could negotiate and perhaps get extra pay or time in lieu. Plenty of people do 4 Days teaching.

Purplemac Sat 19-Aug-17 16:35:36

Not a teacher but I see this a lot in my office. Those on 4 days a week tend to do the same amount of work as those who are full-time - workload doesn't seem to be adjusted unless you are working 3 days or less. I imagine it would be the same in many jobs where you can't just work your hours then go home (customer service for example).

Purplemac Sat 19-Aug-17 16:36:08

Should add that I think it's absolutely ridiculous and unfair!

sonlypuppyfat Sat 19-Aug-17 16:38:06

9 til 3 for 4 days a week is hardly full time

Witsender Sat 19-Aug-17 16:40:12

9 till 3 😂

Phineyj Sat 19-Aug-17 16:40:24

One day to do planning and marking (plus go to doctor or dentist or any of those other things that can't always wait till the holidays) makes quite a big difference. You should at least be able to get more of your work done during the week. You have to be proactive about attempts to make you do more than 80% of other tasks. I used to say to people who moaned that they were welcome to take the same pay cut if they wanted the same hours...

Polly85 Sat 19-Aug-17 16:40:35

I was 4 days a week, but we have a new head who seems to hate PT teachers...from sept this year we all have mornings/afternoons off instead of a full day. TBH I used that day for work anyway. I think you work harder on 0.8 as a teacher than most people do in other full time jobs.

thecraftyfox Sat 19-Aug-17 16:41:17

Sonly, are you being a gf? You know she will have to be in school before 9, will have to prep, plan and mark etc outside of core school hours, attend meetings etc?

calmanban Sat 19-Aug-17 16:41:42

I'd do 0.6... it's much easier to draw a line as to what you won't be doing.

PurpleDaisies Sat 19-Aug-17 16:42:07

This is a joke, right?

Phineyj Sat 19-Aug-17 16:43:14

Well in my experience full time teaching is around 60 hours a week. Much more than full time. So, 4 days is 40 or 50, depending on how much you're expected to do on top. 9 to 3?! When do you think teachers do all the non-teaching parts of the job - evenings and weekends, obviously.

WorraLiberty Sat 19-Aug-17 16:45:06

Brilliant!! grin grin grin

AngeloftheSouth84 Sat 19-Aug-17 16:45:44

Be serious. They do at least 8.45 until 3.15

AngeloftheSouth84 Sat 19-Aug-17 16:46:23

And get all the school holidays off

QuackDuckQuack Sat 19-Aug-17 16:47:18

Are you talking about primary - so having a class which is more or less covered for the other day?

I think it's probably a different experience to 4 days a week in secondary. But realistically what you would be doing is shifting the work you do on the weekend to that 5th day to get more free weekend time.

ladymildred Sat 19-Aug-17 16:50:18

I recently went back after maternity leave and now work 4 days (primary teacher). It is brilliant. It breaks the week up well. The teacher who covers me writes a section of the reports but it's still mainly me. She also does 1 display and has a few other responsibilities. I feel like a full time teacher to be honest but really value having a day at home midweek with DC. Also less planning! I looked into this all when I reduced my contact and as previous poster said you just do the same percent as your contact. In reality though with things like parents evenings, they want to see me as the main teacher so I do them all. I don't think SLT still view me as a full time member of staff though. Working 3 days or less I'd probably be considered part time as would be more sharing a class with another teacher.

Pengggwn Sat 19-Aug-17 16:51:40

Tell you what, I'll start turning up to work at 9 and leaving at 3. I expect my lessons will plan themselves, kids will register themselves and mark their own work, my Head of Department will send me a power point précis of everything that happens in after school meetings. Sure. It'll be fine. hmm

BackforGood Sat 19-Aug-17 16:53:17

YANBU, OP.
In Primary, you need to go to 0.6 to feel the benefit of being PT.

Polly85 Sat 19-Aug-17 16:54:06

@sonlypuppyfat HAHAHAHAHAHA no

Polly85 Sat 19-Aug-17 16:54:53

@sonlypuppyfat try being a teacher for a couple of years (part time or otherwise) then get back to us

OlennasWimple Sat 19-Aug-17 16:55:30

Look at the implications for your pension of going P/T

Polly85 Sat 19-Aug-17 16:58:56

@AngeloftheSouth84 All teachers spend at LEAST half of the holiday planning and marking/doing admin. Teaching is regularly listed as one of the most stressful jobs you can do, due to the workload and long hours. I love it, but it is bloody hard work.

WhatEaglesWear Sat 19-Aug-17 17:02:15

I'm actually currently 3 days but my kids will both be in school soon and I don't need 2 days at home with just me.

Having been full time for a long time pre kids, I don't want to go back to the stress of it.

I'm trying to find something that will give us more money but a bit of work/life balance.

Thought 4 days would be a possibility but do worry about things already mentioned.

JsOtherHalf Sat 19-Aug-17 17:05:20

Do run your figures through www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/ - you might find that you don't get as much as you would like for the extra stress?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now