Talk

Advanced search

To still go for this position?

(21 Posts)

I started a new job 2 months ago with 5 others. One was appointed tram leader. Team leader has a PHD which is what got her the position. She has been amazing and very supportive of the rest of us.

A week ago we had a new team member start. Shortly after that our team leader resigned due to the stresses of the job. This includes working overtime at the weekends and having the out of hours phone every night. I know that she wanted a job that worked well around her family commitments so I was very happy for her when she found another job with less responsibility.

So, she has asked us all to pick one amongst ourselves to take her place. It was decided that it would be me (and I'm very happy to).

The next day I found out that the new lady had already approached our team leaders manager about the position.

The new lady is still being trained by our team. However she has 2 masters and is currently doing a PHD.

I quit uni after 2 years to become my nans full time carer so all I have on my c.v education-wise is college level qualifications.

My colleagues really want me to go for it but I'm a realist. I know I can be a good team leader. I know the job well as well as the stresses my tram leader has been under. I am more than happy to take over. But on paper, she wins hands down.

Is it worth showing my interest? My team leader has kindly recommended me for the position but I don't want to feel like an idiot once they compare our cv's.

I've had a drink or a few so forgive me for any typos.

Any advice would be welcome!

KeepServingTheDrinks Sat 19-Aug-17 02:48:07

it completely depends on who's making the decision. If it's some head office thing, based away from where you work and who doesn't know the individuals; then the person on paper might win out.

If it's anyone who knows your team at all, then you should go for it, and good luck!

DailyMailReadersAreThick Sat 19-Aug-17 02:50:13

Of course you should! What do you have to lose except a brief disappointment? Good luck.

RhinestoneCowgirl Sat 19-Aug-17 02:53:47

God yes, go for it woman!

Thanks for your replies! It's the branch manager who makes the final decision. She knows me and doesn't know the other lady. The thing is, before other lady approached her, it was simply a case of our team leader picking her successor. Now that cv's are involved I don't know if it's worth applying.

MyheartbelongstoG Sat 19-Aug-17 02:58:04

Please go for it op otherwise you'll be posting on the regrets thread.

Gorgosparta Sat 19-Aug-17 07:46:55

Firstly appointing a Team Manager, jsut because they have a phd is not gteat reasoning. Having a phd, master etc is does not always make a great leader.

Secondly the lady leaving does not get to appoint her replacement. Thats simply not how it works the job should be advertised.

The other lady was right to approach someone and ask about the job.

On the plus side, a team leader can be great wether they have a phd or not. When i think of the managers that work for me, sone are highly educated and some are not. They are all great leaders. Its not the education that makes them great leaders.

You have advantages. You have been there longer, the decision maker has seen you work, you know the team, how they work. You have been there for a while. Do you have any ideas on how you could improve the team etc. Play it to your advantage.

Gorgosparta Sat 19-Aug-17 07:47:36

Sorry for the typos.....its too early.

Gizlotsmum Sat 19-Aug-17 07:49:09

Go for it. Dependant on how respected your team leader was they may take her opinion into account. If you don't go for it you definitely won't get it.

aaaaargghhhhelpme Sat 19-Aug-17 07:50:05

Go for it!

Our company always puts out promotions to see who's interested. You don't put your name in the hat - they assume you're happy where you are. No efforts made training them.

If nothing else it puts your name forward, shows willing, shows you're prepared to step up to the plate.

There's nothing to lose!!!
Good luck flowers

swingofthings Sat 19-Aug-17 07:50:55

Surely in this case, you should both be interviewed and the best candidate be offered the job. Not clear what your line of work is and how important qualifications are. Two people with PhD (or working towards) sounds quite technical.

There is then the matter of previous experience, because 2 months vs just new is not really much of a difference.

CheeseGirl4 Sat 19-Aug-17 19:43:17

I have a number of friends with a PhD. The skill set to get a PhD and lead a team are not the same. She MIGHT be a good leader, but her research and thesis doesn't make that so. ABSOLUTELY go for the job.

Redcliff Sat 19-Aug-17 20:33:00

Another here saying go for it! Good luck

Thank you all for your replies.

I applied for the position today.

I am apprehensive but hopeful.

I will be sure to update when I find out the outcome.

Thank you again!

Bufferingkisses Mon 21-Aug-17 04:53:47

Good luck smileflowers

whiteroseredrose Mon 21-Aug-17 07:45:20

Was coming on to say go for it and echo what Cheesegirl said but you already have!

Very best of luck.

StealthPolarBear Mon 21-Aug-17 07:59:37

Team leader picking her own successor seems really odd. As does her then asking you lot to decide amongst yourselves.
Good luck.

Nuttynoo Mon 21-Aug-17 08:57:37

A phd is usually a benefit for technical positions not management or supervisory ones. You'll probably get the job.

Louiselouie0890 Mon 21-Aug-17 09:58:26

What have you got to lose? Good luck!

Louiselouie0890 Mon 21-Aug-17 09:58:27

What have you got to lose? Good luck!

Dina1234 Mon 21-Aug-17 10:04:30

It depends on why you are doing-is postgraduate education relevant to the work?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now