Talk

Advanced search

To be upset with "friends"

(48 Posts)
PiggleyPiggle Fri 18-Aug-17 22:41:32

Night out with friends tonight at a crazy golf place. Arranged to meet up at a certain time. so happened to know that this was when the "happy hour" starts and it's buy one get one free. Great I thought, cheaper night. 5 of us going but it will still with out a lot cheaper. Confirmed with friends that it was happy hour and thought nothing more of it.

A few car issues when I was leaving so I was the last to arrive (friends knew car was playing up) but I wasn't really late. Walk up to friends, a few awkward glances exchanged and then one of them tells me they've paid for their entry already.

So basically they all paid half price and I was left on my own to pay for full price admission. Felt quite hurt really that they'd done. so were they being uunreasonable or am I for being angry?

OwlinaTree Fri 18-Aug-17 22:43:38

Yeah that's tight. What a mean lot.

notevernotnevernotnohow Fri 18-Aug-17 22:54:16

YABU.

It's 2 for the price of one. You were last and were number five. Did you really expect one of the others to pay full price and then wait and see if you got there in time to claim the half price with the other one?

Barbie222 Fri 18-Aug-17 22:54:47

That's harsh but I supppse it was always going to happen to the last man there if it's a BOGOF and you're an odd number.

OwlinaTree Fri 18-Aug-17 22:55:23

No but they could have gone in together and paid for three split between 5.

Trb17 Fri 18-Aug-17 22:56:05

Last one there when it's five people misses out. Someone had to miss out. Why not you?

AJPTaylor Fri 18-Aug-17 22:57:05

What in your head did you think would happen? Total admission for grooup divided by 5? That would be fair. They were being mean girls

SleepingStandingUp Fri 18-Aug-17 22:57:06

Yanbu.

Someone pays and you split the cost five ways. They knew you were coming.

So if its 10 each and 241 it costs 30 in for 5 for you so 6 each! That's only £1 more per person without being tout bitchesto the 5th person

turquoise88 Fri 18-Aug-17 22:57:11

You say you "weren't really late."

I know people who say that. What they mean is they were fifteen minutes late, not an hour late. Late is late.

To be fair though, you did let them know about your car issues.

I don't really get the whole two for one deal though, if there were five of you?!

rainbowpie Fri 18-Aug-17 22:58:21

Surely they should have waited, all gone in together and split the cost 5 ways?? YANBU!

coldflange Fri 18-Aug-17 22:59:46

I would have hoped that the five wpuld split the cost - so all benefit from the reduced price. Not quite BOGOF for all but still a lower cost.

MammaTJ Fri 18-Aug-17 23:15:28

I would have said that I was not expecting to pay full price and left. Might have bought myself a bottle of wine on the way home....

They were mean.

peachgreen Fri 18-Aug-17 23:17:06

YANBU OP, I would have assumed the plan would be to split the discount between all of you, regardless of who arrived when. Mean.

Loopytiles Fri 18-Aug-17 23:17:19

Mean. As PPs say they could've split the cost equally and still all saved ££

Alexandra87 Fri 18-Aug-17 23:19:26

Yanbu. They should have spilt the cost 5 ways so everyone got a discount.

arethereanyleftatall Fri 18-Aug-17 23:21:45

I would have divided the total cost by 5 with my friends. That's fairest.

However, what do you mean by 'not really late'. Did they defo know you were coming and nearly there?

piggleypiggle Fri 18-Aug-17 23:21:46

no when I say I wasn't really late I mean I think I was pretty much bang on time but it could have been a min or 2 over.

we all knew there would be 5 people there. it had been arranged for a while.

I was expecting us all to go in together and split the cost 5 ways. To me that is the fairest way. I would never let one of my friends pay full price while everyone else paid half price. they knew I was turning up and knew I wouldn't more than 5 mins late if late at all

yes sleeping exactly

so for those saying iabu, what would you do in the bogof with an uneven number of people situation? last person there has to pay full price?

piggleypiggle Fri 18-Aug-17 23:23:05

yes they all knew I was coming and that I was on my way and not far away

piggleypiggle Fri 18-Aug-17 23:27:14

Mamma i nearly did leave. I was quite hurt by it. It put a cloud over the night and I made my excuses to leave afterwards instead of going on for drinks.

carjacker1985 Fri 18-Aug-17 23:30:18

It's a bit crappy but why didn't you bring it up with them? "Sorry I'm late and missed the ticket buying- you guys can just buy me a drink when we get in and call it even yeah?" If they're your friends I don't see the big deal.

honeyroar Fri 18-Aug-17 23:30:20

They could have at least said something like "we'll get the drinks as we've got in cheaper".

WyfOfBathe Fri 18-Aug-17 23:32:51

I would always split the cost equally for something like that. I've even split my network savings with a colleague when we got the train somewhere.

However, if you were running late they could have assumed you weren't coming. Or if you're frequently late perhaps they wanted to teach you a lesson.

piggleypiggle Fri 18-Aug-17 23:35:51

you're right, I should have car

I need to learn to stick up for myself

LockedOutOfMN Fri 18-Aug-17 23:35:53

They should have split the cost of 5 entries (i.e. the price of 3) between all of you.

BackforGood Fri 18-Aug-17 23:37:37

I too would presume the total cost (in effect admission price for 3 people) would be split between 5.

I think this hinges on how late you were, and if you have form for not turning up when it has been arranged. I would presume we were all meeting outside, and if you were 2 - 3 mins late then no-one noticed. If you were 15mins late though, and hadn't let them know, and they presumed you weren't coming I wouldn't really expect them to start faffing about each giving you £1.23 or whatever it worked out as.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now