Talk

Advanced search

to be annoyed with this topless lady?

(582 Posts)
user3785022135267845922 Fri 18-Aug-17 13:09:35

... we r on holiday in a family resort in sunny country. There is a lady who keeps ending up on the sun loungers opposite us, who seems to enjoy lying topless by the pool everyday. She has a DS who looks about 15, and a DD who looks about 5.

I think it's really inappropriate to sunbathe topless on a family resort in full view of everyone and right by the toddler pool, and with her own DS around. Am I being unreasonable in feeling uncomfortable and wishing she'd cover up?? smile

RileyC1998 Wed 30-Aug-17 16:42:31

I mean, if you think about it, what is being said here is that women who want to avoid tan lines up top should not be welcome at family resorts? That's a bit extreme, surely?
Now, if a woman really goes out of her way to provoke people, that's another thing entirely, but if you are just working on your tan, reading a magazine, relaxing and not attracting any more attention to yourself than any other sunbather, I don't see the big deal.

GladAllOver Wed 30-Aug-17 16:00:41

it's pretty easy for people who are offended by the sight of a pair of breasts to just avert their gaze.

That's very true Riley, but there are those who cry "Will no-one think of the children!" because they have brought their kids up to think human bodies are disgusting things that will deprave anyone who sees them.

RileyC1998 Wed 30-Aug-17 08:13:55

I don't see the big deal. I've gone topless at family resorts. If you are subtle about it, there is no problem. I wouldn't go out of my way to provoke anyone, but if you are just tanning, it's pretty easy for people who are offended by the sight of a pair of breasts to just avert their gaze.

Gingernaut Tue 29-Aug-17 17:15:17

This debate has made it into the Birmingham Mail.

www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/uk-news/would-you-sunbathe-topless-children-13544641

carefreeeee Tue 29-Aug-17 17:11:48

OP doesn't like it because they are British. Other people in resort probably think it's fine if they come from eg. Germany/France/Spain.

Similar to British people making comments such as 'my body isn't suitable to be seen in a bikini'. Women from other European countries would no more think this than worry that their hands weren't suitable to be seen in public.

Was on holiday in Italy last year and saw many Italian grandma's playing volleyball on the beach in bikini's - their families were just enjoying the sun whilst British women were too self conscious to come out from under their towels.

ArcheryAnnie Tue 29-Aug-17 16:40:14

no haters please only putting forward mine and my partners oppinion

I feel absolutely free, whether you give me permission or not, to react with disgust at the idea women should cover up when men are not required to do so.

I will take this as your partner's opinion, by the way, only when they turn up and speak for themselves.

ChevalierTialys Tue 29-Aug-17 15:32:52

You've "made it" into the Daily Mirror OP confused

Witsender Mon 28-Aug-17 09:15:45

Some of you would have loved the family festival I was just at, naked boobs a plenty wandering around. Plus the odd fully nude or covered with a wafty sarong style thing.

I didn't see any kids batting an eyelid, nor any teens cringing in embarrassment.

GladAllOver Mon 28-Aug-17 09:03:09

Well said, carolg !

carolg76 Mon 28-Aug-17 03:41:46

Well where I am from in BC Canada it is legal for a woman to be topless as long as no sexual activity is taking place so I am used to it.
Breasts are just part of the body and people choose to sexualize them.
I never did that with my son. He has been taught that breasts are just part of the body so it's no big deal to him to see them.
I have no issue with it. I have gone topless a lot.
The great thing about kids is that nothing is a big deal unless the adults make it a big deal.
It's only sexual if you make it sexual.

Mysteryone Fri 25-Aug-17 23:21:47

At no point did I say people were actively going round touching other people's boobs / nipples / moobs i was only hypothetically speaking to get the point across of the difference

VeryCunningStunt Fri 25-Aug-17 21:57:55

I don't remember there being an official classification system for "private parts"

Did you not get the letter? The government sent it to all households around 18 months ago.

Faithless Fri 25-Aug-17 13:33:01

Isn't topless sunbathing a bit 1980's? The very few people (women) I've noticed doing it are aged 50+, and I've assumed it was a habit they picked up from their earlier holidaying years. They can do whatever they want as far as I'm concerned, but it just seems a bit old school to me (I'm 45). My son would be mortified if I got my tits out in front of him, foreign holiday or not. And I know men get theirs out, but you know, social/ cultural norms and that?

Willow2017 Fri 25-Aug-17 12:47:26

Ok fair do's

Tro11Hun73r Fri 25-Aug-17 12:40:41

biscuit

34AQuid Fri 25-Aug-17 12:36:49

'motor boating in the street' - crying with laughter at that one Nicolas.

OP, is your DH eyeing her up? Go on, be honest....grin

GladAllOver Fri 25-Aug-17 12:32:34

I think that was a joke willow smile

Willow2017 Fri 25-Aug-17 11:21:20

Whats it got to do with his mates what his mum does on HER holiday?

There is no reason to mention it at all so no reason to 'hide it'!

nina2b Fri 25-Aug-17 10:37:24

Her 15 year old son must hide the fact from his mates. Poor boy!

Willow2017 Fri 25-Aug-17 10:35:07

No they really are not!

They are boobs. Same basic tissue as mens moobs are. Men have mammary glands and milk ducts too. Should they be forced to cover up because of this?

I am still wondering where all these people who are who are overcome by the desire to run up to men and women and grab their boobs?

Holidaying abroad where 90% of the women (not me, to shy) were topless I never saw it once.

Datun Fri 25-Aug-17 10:29:14

For many men, their nipples are highly erogenous. But they don't come over all coy about showing them. Because women simply don't objectify them.

Men can quite easily stop objectifying women if they see a baby attached to her breast.

It really is, as the poster upthread said, all about 'omg, boobies, boobies'.

Something that is definitely cultural, and far more common in the UK than other areas of Europe.

CatsAreAssholes Fri 25-Aug-17 09:23:49

They are classed as private parts

Classed as?!grin. I don't remember there being an official classification system for "private parts"

Are class A private parts the really hard stuff? hmm

Emboo19 Fri 25-Aug-17 09:17:34

I like the degrudge word.
Oops! I meant begrudge obviously!! Didn't even notice that.
I'll blame the 10 month old deciding to wake me up last night. A crazy little boob obsessed 10 month old at that.

fluffiphlox Fri 25-Aug-17 09:07:52

I like the degrudge word.

GladAllOver Fri 25-Aug-17 09:00:45

Genitals are 'private parts'.
Breasts are just breasts. On men or women.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »