Talk

Advanced search

to be annoyed with this topless lady?

(582 Posts)
user3785022135267845922 Fri 18-Aug-17 13:09:35

... we r on holiday in a family resort in sunny country. There is a lady who keeps ending up on the sun loungers opposite us, who seems to enjoy lying topless by the pool everyday. She has a DS who looks about 15, and a DD who looks about 5.

I think it's really inappropriate to sunbathe topless on a family resort in full view of everyone and right by the toddler pool, and with her own DS around. Am I being unreasonable in feeling uncomfortable and wishing she'd cover up?? smile

VestalVirgin Fri 18-Aug-17 14:00:56

But for some reason I hate it when men walk around topless in summer... just walking down the street or whatever... what's that about??

I guess you hate it because they do it fucking everywhere, appropriate or not.

Whereas women only go topless at the beach.

Noideawhatelseicando Fri 18-Aug-17 14:01:26

Women being top less on holiday doesn't bother me, although me and dh went to gran canaries for our honeymoon and there were women sunbathing by the pool completely naked. That did disturb me ( especially when the didn't keep their legs closed)

ButtHoleinOne Fri 18-Aug-17 14:02:16

^.....there is always these same women who seem to think they're the best thing since sliced bread who just can't wait to get their tits out at every opportunity, appropriate or not.
Personally I think it's a think a bit grim and cheap but there you go!^

Grim and "cheap" what the fuck is your problem? Are men cheap too for taking their shirts off at the beach? Why are you policing other women's bodies because they haven't got your hang ups?
Ignorant misogynistic bullshit.

soupforbrains Fri 18-Aug-17 14:02:42

I am MOST concerned about this.

I feel VERY strongly that someone needs to check she is using suncream.

Sunburnt nipples are absolutely AWFUL grin

innagazing Fri 18-Aug-17 14:03:24

Interesting that this seems a bigger issue than it was in the eighties, when lots of women would have been topless around a family hotel pool.
Have we got more prudish since the 80's?

CabernetSauvignyoni Fri 18-Aug-17 14:03:52

Some of us have the presence to know there is a difference between men's chests and women's breasts and the sexual arousal associated with them.

Eh? Last time I checked a photo of a topless bloke could get women very hot and bothered. The difference is women don't tend to feel entitled to stare, letch, and make foul comments to make the man uncomfortable and shamed when they see it. Men on the other hand seem to think it's our fault that they can't control their arousal and as such we're fair game. Really they ought to just practice a bit of self control, get their head out of their arses and realise our breasts aren't there to give them happy feelings.

ButtHoleinOne Fri 18-Aug-17 14:04:06

sun burned nipples shock

SheWhoLivesHere Fri 18-Aug-17 14:04:11

That's twice now that boobs have been compared to penises/ vulva. I mean really?

Fluffypinkpyjamas Fri 18-Aug-17 14:04:29

I think you are getting a hard time OP.

In an appropriate setting, topless is fine. But I know at that age my DC would have been mortified if I sat topless with them grin

AltheaThoon Fri 18-Aug-17 14:05:09

And wrt the sexual arousal associated with them, as VestalVirgin says, every part of a woman's body can cause sexual arousal to some people - hair, feet, ankles, legs, stomach, neck - are you suggesting we should cover up completely all of the time, just in case we cause someone to sexually desire us? Because there are women living in the world today who are made to do just that.

Are teeny tiny bikinis preferable? Most of the breast is on show with those so it seems like the issue is not with the breast itself but with the nipple. What is it about women's nipples that is so offensive? FB operates a similar policy - male nipples, good - gene nipples, must be censored.

Italiangreyhound Fri 18-Aug-17 14:05:59

I am guessing her teenage son could be anything from mortified to nonchalant! But it is not your issue.

It's perfectly OK for women to sunbath topless, IMHO, and very common in some countries. If she is on a sun lounger lying down, it's unlikely many people will even notice.

Plus the sun is very bad for your skin so your first priority is making sure you are sufficiently coated in sun block!

You'll find a wide vairtey of views on nudity here, from those of us who think it's horrible for teenage dcs to see their parents naked and vice versa to those who think it is is great! I do sometimes wonder if kids feel able to say, actually mum I don't like seeing you naked! If yuor brought up to think nudity is fabulous it may be quite hard to admit you don't feel the same, and vice versa.

The only real concern is your own family and how happy you all are with your own levels of nudity.

OfaFrenchmind2 Fri 18-Aug-17 14:06:04

Yabu. Indeed, boobs can be sexualised. But then so can be ankles, hair, or backs. Are you going to swaddle yourself and look at any free and confident woman the stink eye? That is happening in other countries, I am not sure we should emulate them and put back the burden of modesty and safety on women.

ButtHoleinOne Fri 18-Aug-17 14:06:22

Do you know what gets some women more aroused than their nipples being touched? Their neck kissed. Their lips sucked. Some men are really in to feet. Butts are obviously hot make sure those are 100% covered. Oh and legs. I know lots of leg men.

So what's left? Burqa?

PrimalLass Fri 18-Aug-17 14:06:47

Poor woman, how much have you been staring at her to know how frequently she bathes top less?

What a ridiculous comment.

EdmundCleverClogs Fri 18-Aug-17 14:07:00

Seen one pair and you have seen them all!

Pfft, haven't seen mine. They can juggle whilst reciting the German alphabet. I'm going to take them on Britain's Got Talent next year, just have to teach them how to flip off the judges if they dare buzz them out...

HerOtherHalf Fri 18-Aug-17 14:07:07

Ok ok, I'm in the dark ages then! I will try and get with the 21st century! (I'll not be getting mine out though! That would scare everyone away!!!!)

It's not a 21st century thing, it's a continental thing. Topless sunbathing has been commonplace in most mediterranean countries since I since I first went on holiday there over 40 years ago. If you're not used to it then it may seem strange at first but as others have pointed out, it's only boobs. Why don't you give it a try? What's not to like about an all over tan with no white patches and strap marks?

ChiefClerkDrumknott Fri 18-Aug-17 14:07:10

plus i wouldnt want my partner seeing some other womans boobs. despite their function being to feed babies tbey ARE sexualised, i wouldnt look at some other blokes penis so i dont want him looking at her tits

Well that's for him to deal with and react appropriately, not for a woman to worry about him looking hmm

Some of us have the presence to know there is a difference between men's chests and women's breasts and the sexual arousal associated with them.

I don't care shit about what men choose to be sexually aroused by. Today it is your breasts, tomorrow your ankles and next week your hair.

Spot on, Vestal

Italiangreyhound Fri 18-Aug-17 14:07:54

you are not your!!

Plus, obviously agree with others, topless and nude are very, very different things.

toldmywrath Fri 18-Aug-17 14:08:42

I'm with you OP. I'm also surprised that so many on here think it's perfectly normal. I thought it would be a 50/50 split of ok/not ok with it.

AltheaThoon Fri 18-Aug-17 14:08:47

I don't know what gene nipples are, I meant female of course.

DorisDangleberry Fri 18-Aug-17 14:09:55

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that bare breasts are inappropriate. We were once on holiday as a family, and the amply proportioned young lady across from my then 13yo DS removed her bikini top. He was so traumatised that since then he only speaks in grunts, spends most of his time in his bedroom or the shower, and seems to get through an awful lot of Kleenex.

LoniceraJaponica Fri 18-Aug-17 14:10:00

I think uou are missing the point SheWho. Of course there is a difference. I can't see most men and teenage boys trying not to stare at a topless man.

Whether you agree with it or not women's boobs are viewed differently to men. Why is page 3 in the Sun so popular?

AltheaThoon Fri 18-Aug-17 14:10:22

A woman's breasts are not equivalent to man's penis. Breasts are not genitals!

vickyors Fri 18-Aug-17 14:10:46

I have two kids. Sunbathe topless whenever on holiday (have been on Thomson and did it by the pool). Don't have perfect boobs. Breastfed both my kids. Sure when they're teenagers they won't like it, but I grew up with parents who spoke French and Italian, and when we went on holiday my mum went topless. And, you know what, I realised if ALL British kids see is fake boobs, then we NEED to get our boobs out for kids and teenagers to see. Simple as that. Natural, or fake? Which would you want your kids to see?

HungerOfThePine Fri 18-Aug-17 14:11:28

My boobs definetley won't get a 2nd glance so I get them out on holiday on beaches but I scope for if others are doing it so I know if it's allowed first.

I think good for her especially if she is the only one, if it wasn't allowed I'm sure someone would tell her.

AltheaThoon Fri 18-Aug-17 14:13:39

This is the reason that Page 3 etc should be done away with. Young men are growing up with the idea that women's breasts are there solely for their enjoyment and it's NOT OKAY. Men don't own women's bodies. The male population needs educating on that.

JessicaEccles Fri 18-Aug-17 14:16:09

I can't see most men and teenage boys trying not to stare at a topless man.

What, even they are gay? And if men are determined to ogle at women's tits, perhaps they could learn a little control.

My friend once got yelled at and harassed in Iran because she was totally covered, apart from her toes poking from underneath her dress.

NicolasFlamel Fri 18-Aug-17 14:16:25

confused if you feel the need to shield your partner from the sight of breasts I'm actually sad for you. What a strange relationship.

KinkyAfro Fri 18-Aug-17 14:16:43

Is it because your DP/DH is looking at her?

VinoTime Fri 18-Aug-17 14:17:14

confused

If I'm on holiday in a hot country, I always sunbathe topless. I hate tan lines. I can accept a white arse because it's hardly visible, but it drives me crackers looking down at ice white norks that don't match the rest of my torso!

My DD couldn't give two figs about it. I mean, I breastfed her as a baby, she has consistently interrupted every wee/dump/shower/bath I have ever taken since she's been, y'know, alive, and she has an infuriating knack for plonking herself down on my bed to 'talk' whenever I'm getting ready. I'd drop down dead of shock if me whipping out my boobs on holiday was suddenly an issue for her grin

Sorry OP, but I'm wondering what it is about a pair of boobs that offends you so much. You're not that delicate, surely? Do you need me to fetch the smelling salts? wink

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Fri 18-Aug-17 14:19:20

Sunbathing topless has been common in many parts of Europe for ages. I well remember dd now late 30s, then about 5, saying, 'That lady's got no bra-zis on!' This was on a crowded beach in Greece - dds soon got used to it.

The only thing I found a bit off putting on that particular holiday (put me off my lunch, anyway) was getting a full frontal eyeful of a fat, geriatric German fanny - woman sitting very close by who was changing out of her swimmies - I looked up at just the wrong moment - it was not a pretty sight.

JacquesHammer Fri 18-Aug-17 14:19:24

plus i wouldnt want my partner seeing some other womans boobs

Suggest you tell him not to look. Not any other woman's problem if your partner can't control himself around breasts

CrossSugarman Fri 18-Aug-17 14:21:33

Whether you agree with it or not women's boobs are viewed differently to men. Why is page 3 in the Sun so popular?

All the more reason to more normalise them surely. So people will stop thinking the only context for bare breasts is in the Sun.

GaryBarlowsTaxReturn Fri 18-Aug-17 14:21:35

I used to love sunbathing topless. Very liberating! But post breastfeeding I wouldn't do it now. Hats off to the ladies rocking it though.

JessicaEccles Fri 18-Aug-17 14:24:09

I first went to a nudist beach on holiday- with my parents!- when I was about 13. It was in South of France and was full of families. It was actually really empowering because nobody gave a shiny shite about looking 'sexy' and well groomed. It was all different ages and different sizes.

The only concern was a man who insisted on wrestling with his Alsatian dog and we were a bit worried the dog would think 'Sausage time', grin

LoniceraJaponica Fri 18-Aug-17 14:24:20

Jessica that's why I said most, not all.

I spend quite a lot of time with teenagers and I think many of you are being a little naive about what teenage boys are like.

I agree with the page 3 comment and that too many people see too many fake boobs and think that is the norm. But it is human nature for most men and teenage boys to look.

SheWhoLivesHere Fri 18-Aug-17 14:24:46

I think uou are missing the point SheWho. Of course there is a difference. I can't see most men and teenage boys trying not to stare at a topless man.

But that is exactly the point! You (not personally you, the general you) are brining up your boys to feel entitled to stare at women. Poor men, with no self control, how can we expect them not to oggle at boobies?

Guess what? I expect men to try not to stare. No, I expect them to succeed in not staring. Fuck off with your victim blaming mentality.

ButtHoleinOne Fri 18-Aug-17 14:25:01

Are women embarrassed to admit how insecure they are about their partners?

My god, dh might see a tit and what will happen then!

HerOtherHalf Fri 18-Aug-17 14:26:27

This is the reason that Page 3 etc should be done away with.

It's a bit chicken and egg. I doubt page 3 would have been as popular as it was (I assume it's be consigned to the history books but never read the Sun) if topless sunbathing had been as commonplace in the UK as it is in Europe. It doesn't help that sunbathing itself isn't that commonplace due to the lack of sun obviously.

ButtHoleinOne Fri 18-Aug-17 14:26:32

I used to relax at the English Gardens in Munich and not stare at the total sausage fest happening across the river. It's almost like women are expected to act like humans and men get a free pass

CrossSugarman Fri 18-Aug-17 14:26:54

My god, dh might see a tit and what will happen then!

Well, before you know it you'll be dumped like a hot potato and he'll be shacked up with Juanita and her bountiful bosoms in Madrid.

CherriesInTheSnow Fri 18-Aug-17 14:27:32

@PrimalLass erm no, it was not a ridiculous comment hmm

It obviously wasn't meant literally, my point was clearly that I felt the OP was spending far too much time worrying about a woman having her breasts out in a setting where, as most of us agree, it is perfectly acceptable to do so. Honestly.

ButtHoleinOne Fri 18-Aug-17 14:28:13

grin

Juanita obviously unable to resist his pale flabby charms.grin

chitofftheshovel Fri 18-Aug-17 14:28:23

Nothing at all wrong with normalising the human body. Plus it is a fabulous feeling to have air and sun on bits that society tells us to cover up.

SheWhoLivesHere Fri 18-Aug-17 14:31:32

Saying women should cover their boobs because men shouldn't have to control their urges is no different to saying women should wear a burqua for her own safety.

Literally the same thing, just the thinner end of the wedge.

BigGreenOlives Fri 18-Aug-17 14:31:53

I think most adults went topless in the 1970s & 1980s, we went to France & it was definitely v common in Britany & on the west coast. At some point in the 1990s I think people started expecting women to cover up, don't know why.

mashpot Fri 18-Aug-17 14:33:13

Loads of topless women on the beaches of Menorca this year. Whole families of different generations, I was pleased to see it and it made getting changed at the end of the day loads easier because I could just whip my bikini off without wriggling about with the towel 😂

Magic79 Fri 18-Aug-17 14:33:36

Sorry Yabu. Nothing wrong with it.

greendale17 Fri 18-Aug-17 14:33:44

YANBU- I wouldn't want to see that either

TeamCersei Fri 18-Aug-17 14:39:05

At some point in the 1990s I think people started expecting women to cover up, don't know why.

It's mainly younger women that have stopped doing it.
They value their skin too much and aren't obsessed with getting every little bit of their bodies brown.
Talking to my daughters and their friends, I get the impression they think that think topless sunbathing is a bit naff. A bit 70s/80s as it were.
I also agree with a pp that young women are possibly sick of men leering at them, which a lot do when they see toplessness.

CrossSugarman Fri 18-Aug-17 14:40:49

I'm quite surprised that so many bosoms (well covered ones thank you very much) are being hoiked at the idea of naked breasts poolside in a European resort.

nigelsbigface Fri 18-Aug-17 14:41:42

The only things g that would annoy me about it is that I would be jealous...my boobies would put everyone off their Sangria.
I would assume her kids have seen her boobs before op? Unlikely that they'd be offended.
Just don't look innit?

Winenight Fri 18-Aug-17 14:42:28

I'm with you OP. I wouldn't dream of getting my baps out to sunbathe topless. I quite often have recurring nightmares about being in the nude in totally inappropriate places like a shopping centre, and I'm always covering my boobs.

That said I'm not a sun-worshipper anyway- I'm a pale English rose so always slathering on the factor 50 if I'm somewhere hot! I couldn't care less about tan lines.

I realise though that I'm in prudish minority for my very reserved attitude. But you are not alone in your thinking!

Mamahanji Fri 18-Aug-17 14:43:41

Free the nipple.

imaddictedtomn Fri 18-Aug-17 14:45:13

I know I'm a prude but I agree with you OP. There's no need for it!!

coconuttella Fri 18-Aug-17 14:49:38

This is the reason that Page 3 etc should be done away with.

I thought it had been in mainstream national newspapers.... I very rarely read the Sun but on the 4 or 5 times I've looked at it in the past few years no nipples have been on display.

HalfShellHero Fri 18-Aug-17 14:51:41

I feel a bit mortified for her son tbh so yanbu in that respect.

coconuttella Fri 18-Aug-17 14:53:09

OP - would you have an issue with a mother exposing breasts for feeding in public?

If so, YABU for forcing mothers hide away when carrying out this most natural and non-sexual of behaviour.

If not, YABU for your inconsistent treatment of boobs be exposed in a non-sexual way in public.

dadshere Fri 18-Aug-17 14:58:27

Are you the only one who thinks it is weird to sunbathe topless? No, but hopefully the number is decreasing. They are boobs, not WMDs. She is sunbathing and I presume she has foregone the lapdance routines? Topless on the beach or pool is fine IMO, maybe not so much at dinner though smile

coconuttella Fri 18-Aug-17 15:00:18

He was so traumatised that since then he only speaks in grunts, spends most of his time in his bedroom or the shower, and seems to get through an awful lot of Kleenex.

I'm nit sure "traumatised" is the correct word!!

TiredofITall1 Fri 18-Aug-17 15:02:21

Actually I am 50/50 on this one. I do topless sunbathe in Greece/Spain type places BUT I have to say I am far more inclined to do it on the beach rather than round the pool as it just feels a bit more like no one cares whereas at the pool you are practically on top of each other. Also DH insists on finding new friends on hols so I do feel a bit weird with my boobs out chatting in the day then sharing evening meals with them on the night.

That said recent hols were Egypt that had strict no topless rules and it didn't bother me not going topless.

purpleflower23 Fri 18-Aug-17 15:02:23

(.)(.)

user3785022135267845922 Fri 18-Aug-17 15:03:34

DH looking at her (in that way)? !!! No no! She seems a nice lady but her boobies r definitely not model material (nothing wrong with that, mine aren't either!) and she is enjoying smoking (again, not judging I used to smoke as a teen/20 something), which my OH finds a real turn off!! wink she's got a normal woman body, not young and sexy!!

ButtHoleinOne Fri 18-Aug-17 15:03:56

biscuit biscuit

kittybiscuits Fri 18-Aug-17 15:04:40

biscuitbiscuitbiscuit

user3785022135267845922 Fri 18-Aug-17 15:05:36

Ps. Not that her appearance is relevant! Just that people have asked!

PennyTentiary Fri 18-Aug-17 15:06:53

This is so sad and a really good example of how sexist our society is. No one would think anything of a man being topless by a pool. They're just breasts. Primarily for feeding babies actually unless you view that as sexual?
Good for her for having the confidence to do so. If it makes you uncomfortable it's your personal issue which you may want to address.

ButtHoleinOne Fri 18-Aug-17 15:09:06

"Normal" looking women walking around topless are doing the world a service imo.
The worldis so full of fake tits I don't think young people know why women's bodies are supposed to look like

AWendyAteMyFitbit Fri 18-Aug-17 15:10:43

I think if you're the only one topless woman around the pool then yes, you are going to draw attention, and you know you are. And yes female breasts are much more sexualised than male ones, straw man argument there.

If I were sitting opposite you, around my dc, I would feel quite uncomfortable, no doubt.

I lived on the continent for years and still think the same, yanbu Op.

user3785022135267845922 Fri 18-Aug-17 15:12:29

Re: breast feeding - im cool with that! Although I think it's a bit different! Babies have to eat! The swimming pool and other guests will not go hungry if said woman's boobies are out of sight! Nor will they cry and whine and be generally unhappy!! (actually, I'd be happier without the boobies on show at the pool!!) (I also think many woman feed discreetly covering their breasts, and don't flout them! Which again makes it different I think!)

Ofthread Fri 18-Aug-17 15:15:02

Go to a place where only Spanish or Italian people go on holiday, nobody sunbathes topless. That's when I realised it's mainly a Northern European thing. I'm not bothered either way btw.

PennyTentiary Fri 18-Aug-17 15:27:40

But do you not think women should have the same freedom over their bodies as men? Or do you not believe in equality?
freethenipple.com

LoyaltyAndLobster Fri 18-Aug-17 15:29:41

YANBU it's inappropriate.

LockedOutOfMN Fri 18-Aug-17 15:29:58

YABU, OP.

MyheartbelongstoG Fri 18-Aug-17 15:31:23

You are the the kind of person I can't stand on holiday.

I'm going to Spain next Sat and I can't wait to get mine out and laze in the sun.

CancellyMcChequeface Fri 18-Aug-17 15:31:23

YANBU but then I'm prudish and would never, ever go topless in a public place.

MyheartbelongstoG Fri 18-Aug-17 15:33:27

I think women hate topless bathers when their husband's are about.

kittybiscuits Fri 18-Aug-17 15:35:32

This is a DH problem, not a tits problem.

user3785022135267845922 Fri 18-Aug-17 15:40:22

Hi kitty biscuits ! It's not a DH problem! (see my earlier post on this thread!!) smile

BorisTrumpsHair Fri 18-Aug-17 15:42:03

It's not like she's sunning her vagina is it?

We totally over sexualise breasts in this country.

user3785022135267845922 Fri 18-Aug-17 15:42:38

Penny... I think it's different! Woman's breasts r different to men's pecs! IMO!! Equal rights -yes! Doing things the SAME when we r clearly different - no!!

featherup Fri 18-Aug-17 15:43:00

she's got a normal woman body, not young and sexy!!

so, old and sexy? or jut not sexy at all because she is not young anymore sad

Good for her I say, having the body confidence to not feel the need to lie in one piece because society says that she really ought to now that she has 'past her best'.

BorisTrumpsHair Fri 18-Aug-17 15:44:07

Go to a place where only Spanish or Italian people go on holiday, nobody sunbathes topless.

You clearly go to different Spanish beaches than I do. Though I admit my Spanish friends prefer to be totally naked at the beach, rather than simply topless. But they keep their bottoms on, on a family beach.

alwaysprepare Fri 18-Aug-17 15:45:43

This is one of those MN posts. Makes me laugh really.

People posting as if they walk around their town with boobs hanging out.
Any of you go out and lie down in your front garden with just your nickers so you don't get tan lines? Nip to the shop on a hot day for a pint of milk (pun intended) with boobies hanging about? Why not? Since it's completely acceptable. Just breasts, same as men - actually man boobs are just not biologically the same. I may also add that I hate seeing topless men in hot weather. though I'll forgive a six pack

Breastfeeding in public is different what with all that milk coming out, but we all know breasts are sexual organs too, otherwise you would feel the same as your arm if someone touched them, hence they are page 3 girls.

Been to topless beaches in Europe lots of times, but saw no children, but then again a beach is wide and vast.

No, not interested in seeing a strangers boobs next to me and my kids at the close proximity of a poolside. Don't care how perky they are.

Dustbunny1900 Fri 18-Aug-17 15:47:12

Boobs are for baby feeding, they are not a sexual organ. I agree with men and women both covering sexual organs (penis, labia, asshole) but both men and women can go about topless even in MY country, which is hopelessly Prudish and sexist (most of my country anyways) YABU

VeryCunningStunt Fri 18-Aug-17 15:49:17

No, not interested in seeing a strangers boobs next to me and my kids at the close proximity of a poolside

Being completely uninterested in how much of their bodies other people are comfortable showing is easily the most sensible strategy.

user3785022135267845922 Fri 18-Aug-17 15:49:51

Featherup! It matters not how old, young, fat, thin etc... she is, to me. Only raised she is normal looking because people were implying I may be jealous of her gorgeous boobs! Or my hubby might be eye-ing her up! Neither apply! You r right that age is not relevant, nor anything else about her appearance as I mentioned down thread!!

VeryCunningStunt Fri 18-Aug-17 15:53:42

I can't see most men and teenage boys trying not to stare at a topless man

Are you genuinely stating that the male gaze must define and set the acceptable parameters for all female actions and choices?

maddiemookins16mum Fri 18-Aug-17 15:55:00

I think it's unusual to see topless sunbathing nowadays and, call me a prude I don't care, I'd no more want to see someone topless by a pool than I would doing their shopping at Tesco. (Plus that skin hardly sees the light of day so surely must burn terribly even using high factor cream (mine did back in the 80's when I did sunbathe topless as I was young and silly, oh and slim 😊).
YANBU.

SylviaPoe Fri 18-Aug-17 15:57:34

I was unaware there had been a change of attitudes.

That is a shame.

I was looking forward to lounging around topless in Spain.

AWendyAteMyFitbit Fri 18-Aug-17 15:58:32

Yes op, it's regardless of perkiness/fakiness/sagginess - none of that matters. The "you're just jealous' crew are out in force. I really don't know how it derailed into breastfeeding either, I'm sure that doesn't apply to your situation.

ittakes2 Fri 18-Aug-17 15:59:06

I would feel weird about it too. I don't get the whole men with nipples on show thing. Men walk around in public places bare chested and women don't. When women start walking around in general public bare chested than the topless by the pool thing would feel regular too.

JacquesHammer Fri 18-Aug-17 16:00:44

Any of you go out and lie down in your front garden with just your nickers so you don't get tan lines?

I don't do tanning. However I will lie in the shade topless in my own garden.

Nip to the shop on a hot day for a pint of milk (pun intended) with boobies hanging about? Why not? Since it's completely acceptable

Because it would be uncomfortable. I have large boobs. I also wouldn't expect a bloke to go into a shop topless either so no double standards.

we all know breasts are sexual organs too, otherwise you would feel the same as your arm if someone touched them

Breasts CAN become sexual as part a consensual part of sex. That doesn't mean they're inherently so in any circumstance

No, not interested in seeing a strangers boobs next to me and my kids at the close proximity of a poolside

Don't look or move then. The problem is yours not the topless bathers

SylviaPoe Fri 18-Aug-17 16:02:12

Breasts are less of a sexual body part than a mouth is.

VeryCunningStunt Fri 18-Aug-17 16:02:44

Sunbathing topless has been common in many parts of Europe for ages

This is one of the most baffling things about this thread: I'm in my 40s, have been to Europe almost every year since I was 5, and without fail there are always women who choose to be topless on the beach or at the pool.

It's been commonplace for at least 35 years that I know of - how is this a brand new shock to some people?

PennyTentiary Fri 18-Aug-17 16:03:52

Men's nipples can also become sexual during sex also OP. The horror!

Jaimx86 Fri 18-Aug-17 16:04:50

Sylvia, I've been to several Spanish resorts this year and almost everyone was topless - hundreds of boobs everywhere, including mine. The resorts were popular with mainly French/Italians.
I do wear my bikini top in the sea though; I've got a huge fear of being stung by a jellyfish on the nip! grin

Polichinelle Fri 18-Aug-17 16:05:40

Go to a place where only Spanish or Italian people go on holiday, nobody sunbathes topless.

Completely disagree. I'm Spanish, from a beach town, and ever since I was at school in the 80s, topless has been the norm. I've gone back to wearing a top now, as I'm so pale my nipples burn, but I don't think any of my friends buys tops any more and we are almost 50 years old. Nobody cares.

Ofthread Fri 18-Aug-17 16:06:05

i remember when I was little I would really stare at women's boobs on the beach, it was totally fascinating. Men also do stare, if you are with other women and not with a man then it's overt. If you're with a man it will be covert. It's a depressing state of affairs.

PennyTentiary Fri 18-Aug-17 16:07:20

Maybe she was wearing this? grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »