Talk

Advanced search

Is she being unreasonable?

(22 Posts)
journeyjourney Fri 18-Aug-17 01:14:40

Name changed for this.

There's a new craze going round our area where kids and parents paint stones and then hide them in parks for other people to find and re hide.

All good fun and seems very popular. Stones have been painted in all sorts of designs from a 2 year old's scribbles to cartoon characters to animals and insects

One mum posted a picture on Facebook today of her stones and she has written the name of her Facebook selling page all over her stones.

I can't decide if she's being cheeky or has come up with a clever marketing idea? I know a lot of the other mums that have painted stones have their own businesses but they have all stuck to just painting pretty pictures.

The scheme isn't sponsored by any companies and not to do with charity so no conflicts of interest there. Can't see that it's actually doing any harm (apart from I'm sick of having her products rammed down my throat) but somehow just seems slightly out of sync with the idea of the activity.

So, is she BU or fair play to her?

Butterymuffin Fri 18-Aug-17 01:16:36

I doubt kids will enjoy hiding those ones as much.

TooSleepyToCare Fri 18-Aug-17 01:18:02

Hmm, I think it's a bit cringey. Jumping on the stones bandwagon but hoping to make a few fb sales out of it too.
I'd not do it, but I guess each to their own.

Jedimum1 Fri 18-Aug-17 01:18:15

I've seen others doing it. The nursery where my child goes has painted a a few with their logo. Fair play to her, I guess, for finding ways to promote her business. Other people can always paint on top grin

journeyjourney Fri 18-Aug-17 01:22:32

TooSleepy yes I think it feels a bit cringey.

A nursery feels slightly different because it is nice to know that the stones were painted by the nursery children. Although at the end of the day I guess it is still advertising so the same thing really.

I can't say she's actually doing anything wrong but just one of those things that made me groan when I saw it

I don't think it helps that she's added me to her Facebook group about 10 times even though I keep removing myself grin

journeyjourney Fri 18-Aug-17 01:23:34

or hidden by the nursery children if not painted by them

iamapixiebutnotaniceone Fri 18-Aug-17 01:26:41

I've not heard of this craze before. Tomorrow I will be painting stones with my children!

journeyjourney Fri 18-Aug-17 01:29:59

it is great fun pixie

Redglitter Fri 18-Aug-17 01:30:05

It's very popular here well it was during the summer holidays. Seems a great way to get kids out and about. Our village has a stones facebook page and it's nice seeing all the wee happy photos of kids who've found them. Just shows such a simple idea can be so much fun

But yes in answer to Ops post putting a fb link is cringey

journeyjourney Fri 18-Aug-17 01:32:06

Yes I love seeing all the pics on fb Red

It has kept my DC entertained for hours decorating, hiding and finding stones

FeelingAggrieved Fri 18-Aug-17 02:30:13

There's a time and a place for promoting your company and this isn't it.

chocolatesa Fri 18-Aug-17 03:33:44

I doubt it will do her much good. People will just think what an idiot!

KickAssAngel Fri 18-Aug-17 03:55:48

I'm strongly suspecting that it's some MLM type selling scheme she has.

e1y1 Fri 18-Aug-17 04:08:10

Yes, cringy, but no one "owns" the stones and it's a clever marketing strategy, you have to give her that.

Are they decorated nicely? Or just literally her business name painted on. If nice, then I would forgive it, if just written on, she may get a small amount of judgment grin.

journeyjourney Fri 18-Aug-17 13:01:47

KickAss I'm not sure if it is technically an MLM as she doesn't seem to have to recruit to make money but it is a commission based sales thing. Think along the lines of Avon (but much smaller and not as well known)

journeyjourney Fri 18-Aug-17 13:02:52

e1 there is a bit of a design on there as well

Mrscropley Fri 18-Aug-17 13:03:55

Maybe do this one?

AlmostAJillSandwich Fri 18-Aug-17 13:04:55

If by avon but smaller you mean younique that is an mlm business.

FizzyMakeFeelNice Fri 18-Aug-17 13:08:50

For future reference, when u leave the FB group, if you click more options, there is an option to leave the group permanently so you can't be added again.

journeyjourney Fri 18-Aug-17 13:13:13

ahh thanks Fizzy that is good to know.

No not Younique

journeyjourney Fri 18-Aug-17 13:13:32

ahh thanks Fizzy that is good to know.

No not Younique

GentlebeamSnowsmile Fri 18-Aug-17 13:37:02

Is it Oriflame? Its a MLM business although you can work on your own if you choose, rather than running a team.

Not something I'd do but I can't see the harm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now