Talk

Advanced search

Not to go to work tomorrow

(62 Posts)
LEMtheoriginal Thu 17-Aug-17 23:22:00

I have got some sort of tummy bug. This is day 2 and no improvement really.

Had to bolt to the toilet at work yesterday during a meeting. I had told my line manager I had been sick already and did she want me to go home. But we were short staffed and it was "if you absolutely must" sort of comments. Weird because I'd assume vomiting = go home and don't spread the lurgy. But I managed until 3 doing a sitting down job but had to leave when puked so much I wet myself.

Today was my day off but I'm still sick. I think maybe food poisoning. No more vomiting but diarreaoh that is now just liquid and I feel terrible. So much for 24hr bug.

I really can't face work tomorrow but we have been taken over by a corporate and they are strict on absence. There has to be a back to work interview and I'm worried I won't be believed as sickness bugs are usually 24hour. They are scathing about people having time off sick and you are generally expected to soldier on but I really feel awful.

Papafran Thu 17-Aug-17 23:24:29

Last year I had a sickness bug with diarrhea that lasted for a week. I felt like utter shit (pardon the pun) and was in no fit state to work. Don't go in- you might also be contagious. It says on NHS direct that norovirus can last longer than 24 hours.

AWaspOnAWindowInAHeatwave Thu 17-Aug-17 23:24:41

I wouldn't go in (and I don't say that lightly -
I'd soldier on in even if my head were hanging off usually, but where diarrhoea/vomiting is concerned none of your colleagues will thank you for spoiling their weekend). Hope you feel better soon flowers

AnathemaPulsifer Thu 17-Aug-17 23:26:38

Stay home!!

FaithAgain Thu 17-Aug-17 23:27:10

Oh definitely stay off work! IME if you're there, a boss will want you to stay, especially if you're short staffed. I had a boss who used to say Well I can't tell you to leave, you have to say if you can't stay. I started being more assertive! You need to give your body time to recover (plenty of fluids) and minimise it spreading!

7Days Thu 17-Aug-17 23:27:41

Stay home

AnathemaPulsifer Thu 17-Aug-17 23:28:10

I think this is a good guideline for fitness for work in all settings:
www.publichealth.hscni.net/sites/default/files/Guidance_on_infection_control_in%20schools_poster.pdf

ThePinkOcelot Thu 17-Aug-17 23:29:09

You need to be 48 hour symptom free before you even think about going back.

Phoenix76 Thu 17-Aug-17 23:31:04

I'm also normally a soldier on type but this could be possible norovirus, I've had the pleasure of it twice now and ime it doesn't do the 24 "rule"!. If you go on in, not only could you infect your colleagues but they in turn would go home and infect their families and so it goes on. The fact that you and doubtless others recognise the low tolerance attitude to sickness would only make the management/colleagues believe you as you wouldn't dare unless it's unavoidable iyswim! Hope you feel better soon, I know how grim it is.

Eeeeek2 Thu 17-Aug-17 23:31:06

Stay home nobody else wants it. You've already been off sick when you went home early so another day is not going to change the work process of returning to work. Tummy bugs are not always 24 hours long.

lougle Thu 17-Aug-17 23:38:39

LEM <stern> do you really think it is remotely reasonable to go to work with liquid diarrhoea? You'll be spreading the love, even if you can technically carry out your duties at 70% efficiency. You need to phone in sick and stay home until you haven't had any more loose stools for at least 24 hours, although NHS guidance remains at 48 hours for very good reasons. Most people feel pressured to return to work earlier than that, which is why these viral illnesses spread like wildfire.

Be kind to your stomach, flat lemonade/coke can help, or a litre of water with a half-teaspoon of salt and 8 level teaspoons of sugar. That will restore your electrolytes nicely. Avoid milky things.

I hope you feel better soon. flowers

ilovesooty Thu 17-Aug-17 23:41:55

Normally I'm in the go to work if you have a pulse camp but no way should you be going in in that state.

HorridHenryrule Thu 17-Aug-17 23:51:53

Call in sick and then ring your doctor to get a sick note. You don't have to physically see the doctor to get one.

Starlight2345 Thu 17-Aug-17 23:59:18

I am a childminder..I ended up having the worst stomach bug last year..I had to close for a week. I then developed a milk intolerance for a while as a result..

They knew you were ill at work.. Stay home and get well. If you go in and feel worse , hard to get out of that place by the sounds of it.

HurtyAtThirty Fri 18-Aug-17 00:01:18

I've got this atm, Monday I was violently sick in the early hours for about 3 hrs total, wfh and had a bit of a runny tummy but by Tuesday I felt fine. Went to work and felt a little queasy on the train in, bit of a dodgy tummy but no sickness and I even managed to eat a normal evening meal. Yesterday it was back with avengance, I just about held it together on my commute, but threw up as soon as I got into the office, nothing major (I think because I didn't have much in my stomach to throw up). Every hr or so I had to go and throw up, I even got the pregnancy questions from my boss, I ended up leaving early and even though I wasn't sick again I wfh today and will do tomorrow as I think I pushed my luck on Tuesday.

I think it's one of those bugs where you really have to give yourself time to recover properly. I wouldn't go to work tomorrow especially if you're still having to make frequent trips to the loo.

Viviennemary Fri 18-Aug-17 00:03:11

If you are ill and it sounds as if you are then stay off work. if you feel better then go in. I'm in the go in if you can type. But sounds as if you should be off sick.

alibongo5 Fri 18-Aug-17 00:07:58

@hurtyatthirty - you stayed at work throwing up every hour? That's ridiculous and I wouldn't want to work with someone throwing up every hour!

Jedimum1 Fri 18-Aug-17 00:11:05

Stay at home. Call your GP in the morning and get a telephone appointment, ask for a sick note. Call boss and explain you've an appointment with GP. To be fair, if you were at work sick, I'm sure other people will start suffering symptoms soon too!
Don't feel guilty. You are entitled to a number of sick days, you have a stomach bug, they always lasted a few days for me! Your company hasn't given you a job out of charity, you're qualified to do what you do and get paid for it. Don't feel sorry for them, they will manage! Look after yourself because nobody else will!

MrsOverTheRoad Fri 18-Aug-17 00:19:48

Stay home.

I have a job where if I don't turn up, nobody would be there at all and this has often weighed on my mind. If I were really sick we'd be buggered!

Cinderllaspinkdresswasthebest Fri 18-Aug-17 00:32:48

Don't go in - I work in the NHS and if it's a case of D and V then 48 hours before we are deemed fit to work.

Please don't chance infecting your colleagues because you're 'scared' of being disciplined - norovirus (I'm not suggesting you have it btw) is spreading rapidly at the moment due to people not adhering to the 48 hour rule

Cinderllaspinkdresswasthebest Fri 18-Aug-17 00:36:18

While I agree with the main point in Jedi's post - You are entitled to a number of sick days isn't true - nobody is entitled to a given number of sick days.

Jedimum1 Fri 18-Aug-17 00:57:55

Cinderllas? What do you mean? I thought it was standard. As I see it, she's entitled to (as in "she has the right to") being paid for a number of sick days a year, whether the company pays her or not for those is another thing, but if not she still could get statutory sickness pay?

www.citizensadvice.org.uk/work/rights-at-work/sick-pay/getting-money-when-youre-off-work-sick/

www.landaulaw.co.uk/sickness/

I guess you mean that the company could refuse her self-diagnosis and "make her" go to work under threat? ... But since she's really ill and it can be proven by her obvious symptoms... Would that be legal?

LEMtheoriginal Fri 18-Aug-17 06:04:23

I'm not sure if we get paid for the first day off sick tbh Then we are allowed 2 weeks (in total) per year. God help us if any of us get really sick. I hate not knowing where I stand.

I've woken up feeling a bit better but still sore everywhere and my tummy is delicate. Really not sure what to do. My job is quite physical with no real opportunity to sit down to work (which is one of the things I like - usually) I managed to get myself onto reception the other day or I wouldn't have managed as long as I did.

I am going to get up and see how I feel.. I suffer from anxiety and this most definitely isn't helping!

CaptainMarvelDanvers Fri 18-Aug-17 06:27:20

I'm sorry but you shouldn't go in, you would be infecting other people.

You're sick so take a sick day.

MaximaDeWit Fri 18-Aug-17 06:34:56

I managed to get myself onto reception the other day or I wouldn't have managed as long as I did.

Oh dear, I hope you weren't actually face to face with visitors on reception?

It sounds like you need to be in bed resting, getting fluids in you and getting better. No-one will thank you for making them ill (and if it's a virus you will be). If work give you trouble then maybe go into detail about what is wrong with you (Well, boss - I'm still shitting through the eye of a needle and around 12 hours ago I vomited so hard I pissed my pants. Do you still want me to come in?".

Hope you feel better soon - it's rotten

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now