Page 4 | to spend £25 on a lunchbox...

(110 Posts)
wavesandwellies Thu 17-Aug-17 22:28:12

for dd (6)? it's a yumbox and looks amazing but £25 hmm she already has a compartment lunchbox but it's not a yum box grin

OP’s posts: |
ToesInWater Fri 18-Aug-17 07:02:08

I need to go and google now to see what kids' lunchbox is worth 25 quid grin

Susiethetortoiseshellcat Fri 18-Aug-17 07:31:35

I've got a yumbox! Was totally sucked into the hype about it and wanted to treat my ds after he was in hospital for a while.

Totally not worth it. Have used it once and it made the food go all slimy. Has hardly any room for anything and you can't put icepacks etc in it to cool it for yoghurt.

Complete waste of money. Always use my other, much cheaper, lunchbox.

DixieNormas Fri 18-Aug-17 09:52:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BertrandRussell Fri 18-Aug-17 09:56:04

I couldn't buy something called a Yumbox-even if it was the best lunchbox in the history of lunchboxes. And I am a sucker for a gimmick!

Goldenhandshake Fri 18-Aug-17 09:58:47

What is the difference between them and any other compartmented lunch box? Other than the eye watering price?

Goldenhandshake Fri 18-Aug-17 10:00:04

Saying that I have been suckered int paying £18 for a fucking Smiggle lunchbox so I am a fine one to talk.

Advertisement

Foslady Fri 18-Aug-17 10:03:21

Fine until 2 days in she sees her mates Wonder Woman/Paw Patrol/Disney lunchbox and want the same.......

liz70 Fri 18-Aug-17 10:03:37

Plastic lunch boxes tend to crack too easily ime. I buy insulated lunch bags for about a fiver from Asda, then use the myriad assorted size plastic containers and pots that we already have in anyway. £25 on a new lunch box - no way!

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 18-Aug-17 10:10:02

I was tempted. Then I thought about how much food I was actuakky going to send in vs how many compartments and ho e much of a pain it would be chopping up sandwiches into multiple pieces just to fit it in. Plus things like Apple and cheese and banana justbdont do well chopped up for long periods of time. And you need to he really careful with berries as they squish so best to have them in a lot on their own so the juice doesn't cover everything.

jennielou75 Fri 18-Aug-17 10:19:54

I might have just bought a planet box. It does look amazing and as a teacher I still have a packed lunch box!

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 18-Aug-17 10:21:48

Oh and don't bother with the sistema slim quad boxes either.

Fine if you buy into all the "kid crap" things like crustless sandwiches, boxes of raisins, drives, cheese strings, etc

Crap if you want to actually pack them a proer sandwich and Apple and decant some yogurt into a smaller pot.

liz70 Fri 18-Aug-17 10:44:34

DD3 has started taking packed lunches full time, since now that she's in P4 the school lunches are no longer free. I bought her the purple owls Smash bag with bottle, to replace the ten year old Groovy Girls lunch bag that her older sisters had used. The handle on it's a bit ripped, but I'll keep it for keeping drinks bottles cool on long car journeys. I also bought myself a new lunch bag, with a solid inside case with one movable divider. I ordered it with a grocery delivery. Unbeknownst to me, it has "OMG" and #WOW all over it. blush blush I thought it was just a nice pattern. Oh, the perils of using a small screen. grin

EnglishRose1320 Fri 18-Aug-17 10:57:33

So had to Google both the 'yumbox' and the 'planetbox' tbh the yumbox looks like most plastic compartment lunch boxes, don't think it looks worth the extra, however I love the planet box, totally out of my price range but think it looks perfect for my dcs. Might have to work on Oh, he likes durability and reducing environmental impact so I might convince him!

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Fri 18-Aug-17 11:06:27

@jennielou75 thanks for answering my questions up thread!

Notso Fri 18-Aug-17 11:12:46

I like the yumbox but want to see it in the flesh. It looks like a lot of food and I'm not convinced I could make it work everyday.
The planetbox looks like what I imagine prisoners get their food on. Unappealing.

Witsender Fri 18-Aug-17 11:16:28

Yumbox are fab, but I would look at some of the stainless steel ones for similar money. Not quite as kiddie appealing though I guess.

Witsender Fri 18-Aug-17 11:18:10

Lunchbots are good, like these

littleacornstomightyoaks.co.uk/shop/Lunchbots

44PumpLane Fri 18-Aug-17 11:32:11

YANBU I am thinking of buying them for my 8.5mo twins- we do BLW so for days out and about this would be fab and as they get older they will need a small amount of a few bits

wavesandwellies Fri 18-Aug-17 11:50:05

off to Google planet box. Yes id like to see them the I'm the flesh too....someone posted about yuu bags earlier so was thinking the lunchbox inside a yuu bag with a little ice pack to keep things cool.

I usually put stuff in separate tubs anyway and just before they broke up she wanted to use my sistema slimline but I'm not really liking the bottom compartment of it. struggling to fit everything in it..

OP’s posts: |
JemmyBloocher Fri 18-Aug-17 11:52:39

I'd get two for my kids if I could be sure they wouldn't get nicked (everything gets stolen at my kids' schools). It's your money spend it on whatever you like. You earn it!

Huffletuff Fri 18-Aug-17 12:00:51

I bought a Yumbox for myself and it's one of my favourite ever purchases. I absolutely love it, easy to clean and the little compartments seal when you close the lid so you can put dressings etc in there without leakage into the other sections. Well worth the money.

Witsender Fri 18-Aug-17 12:52:29

We used to pop cool blocks in the lunch bag with the yumbox, worked well.

BertrandRussell Fri 18-Aug-17 12:55:36

Don't use ice packs. Freeze cartons of juice instead.

ExConstance Fri 18-Aug-17 12:55:55

I have a small 2 layer tiffin tin, it is the best lunch box I ever had. salad in the bottom and fruit in the top. It is such a pleasure to use it that I think it has been very instrumental in helping me stick to m current diet.

mumeeee Fri 18-Aug-17 13:17:47

Sorry £25 is way too much to spend on a lunchbox for anybody.
When my children were at school they liked to have sandwiches and looking at those lunch boxes it doesn't look like they would fit without cutting them up. Also far to much faffing around chopping stuff up.
My youngest DD was very good at losing stuff so I'm sure she would have lost an expensive lunchbox at some point

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in