Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Housing help

(202 Posts)
Love29 Tue 15-Aug-17 21:42:23

Long story I have been on the Council list (Basildon) bidding for the last 3 years to get me and my son our own place, I've now gone down as homeless and am currently in a hostel waiting for temporary acc. Once in my temp place I will continue to bid on a perm place but will be in a higher band, my fear is that I have to put 2 bids in and if there's a week where not so nice places come up ie 6th floor flat rough area, no garden arc comes up and I don't bid the Council will now put bids in for me. I know I should be grateful for any where but I still have the right to a home that I would like as I've been able to chose what I've bid on for the last 3 years so has any one been in this situation what's the chances I'll get the properties I bid on over getting one they bid on for me

llangennith Tue 15-Aug-17 21:55:11

You might be more successful if you're prepared to move somewhere else.

Love29 Tue 15-Aug-17 22:04:02

You have to be in the councils bourough for 5 years before being accepted on the housing list, they haven't given me an option of moving any where else I've ticked all locations available to me on there to move to

Letstryagainshallwe Tue 15-Aug-17 22:37:08

Think yourself lucky!! My council wouldn't even let you BID on houses! Unless you live in a house you can't bid on them. If your homeless surely having a roof over your head is more important than a flaming garden!! I don't blame your council, surely eeryone can't hang around waiting for a garden.

Letstryagainshallwe Tue 15-Aug-17 22:38:33

And if that's there policy I'm not sure why you feel your more special than any of the thousands of other people on the list. There is just not the housing to make sure everyone with a child/ten gets a garden.

MumIsRunningAMarathon Tue 15-Aug-17 22:40:40

What do you mean by 'I still have a right to bid on a home that I would like'

What right?

Sorry, but the council have a duty to house you..... what you make of that house is down to you

Love29 Tue 15-Aug-17 22:43:29

I didn't state it was just about a garden :-/ I've lived without a garden for the last 29 years lol my pint is I've been able to bid on the properties of my choice for 3 years but now it will be that they will bid if I don't!! My point being I won't be claiming any sort of benefits I'll be paying full rent council tax etc so yes I do think it's unfair that they bid on places for me that I don't ness want I don't see how that deserves such a sarcastic reply

Mulch Tue 15-Aug-17 22:44:23

Housing is in such short supply there's very little choice. Channel 4 did a brilliant series how to get a council house. Don't judge it on the name. If your an emergency and majority of social housing is nowadays it's what's available not what you like. Worst case scenario it is rough but you can save and look at private or buying.

CommonSenseIsNotAllThatCommon Tue 15-Aug-17 22:44:31

Sweetheart you need to be realistic. Lots of children live in flats with no gardens.

Letstryagainshallwe Tue 15-Aug-17 22:45:19

My home was a 'direct offer' I didn't chose my home it was bidded on on behalf of me by the coucil because it's in there policy that if you are a priority band the council can chose a place for you. WHy is it any different for you? I got lucky with a ground floor maisonette with garden but it could have been a very different story depending on whats available. Probably now bidding for you cos in 3 years they've probably seen that your only bidding on houses with garden so probably thinking your taking the p and ain't in desperate need!

MumIsRunningAMarathon Tue 15-Aug-17 22:45:26

It makes no difference to the council how the rent is paid

If you want to pick and choose then look at private rentals?

Glumglowworm Tue 15-Aug-17 22:45:40

YABU

You have a right to a home. Not to your ideal home. Plenty of people don't have gardens, especially in towns and cities.

The more open you are to the type of property the quicker you will get the home you want.

If you want to be able to pick and choose somewhere nice you'll have to pay the higher costs of private rent and settle for less secure tenancy.

Booboobooboo84 Tue 15-Aug-17 22:45:51

Well unfortunately with such a small stock of housing and the fact your homeless I'm afraid that choice has gone. The council is duty bound to get you out of temp acc as quickly as possible. So they are doing the right thing.

SuperBeagle Tue 15-Aug-17 22:47:19

You know what they say, "beggars can't be choosers". If you're not prepared to pay for a private rental, you have to be willing to compromise on your wants from a council house.

RaspberryRuffless Tue 15-Aug-17 22:47:34

Of course you have the right to a home you'd like. But if that's the way you feel then your options are private rent or buy.

If you're expecting the council to give you a house then you need to take what's on offer. Their duty is to house you. It might sound harsh, but that's the way it is.

MumIsRunningAMarathon Tue 15-Aug-17 22:47:39

And yes, they absolutely will bid for you.... that hostel space is both costly and needed

You will be moved on fairly quickly

Love29 Tue 15-Aug-17 22:48:09

Why would I privately rent with no security, I have bid on plenty of places every week with and without a garden!!! It's not about a garden it's about not wanting some 8th floor flat in a block of dives with my 3 year old and dog if that makes me a terrible person then so me it 😊

Akire Tue 15-Aug-17 22:48:29

They will have homes that are not popular for families but be 2-3bed. So councils will force those in the most expenses accomadation (and temp housing can be v expensive) into a home first of all.

In some areas I've been on lists you don't bid you have to state the area you want to live in then get offered one. You have one refusal than have to accept what's offered next. If you don't you are off the list.

Long as you are bidding on the least worst options that other people wil also like then at least the council will not bid on your behalf. Apart from that it's down to luck!

GreenTulips Tue 15-Aug-17 22:48:48

Those are the rules and unfortunately you aren't alone in your situation

You need to be realistic

Viviennemary Tue 15-Aug-17 22:48:51

If you aren't entitled to benefits can't you afford to rent in a nicer area. What's the point in paying rent from your own money to live somewhere awful.

Love29 Tue 15-Aug-17 22:48:53

I know the hostel is costly I'm paying to stay in it!! £169 per week is the rent so it's not like I'm e noting being there at that cost

Love29 Tue 15-Aug-17 22:49:56

There is no security with private rent landlords can decide any time they want you out so I'd rather not private rent

RaspberryRuffless Tue 15-Aug-17 22:50:02

But the reason they will bid for you is because if you're claiming to be homeless you have to take anything. Seriously, someone genuinely in need would be happy with a roof over their head. That's how they see it.

MumIsRunningAMarathon Tue 15-Aug-17 22:50:02

It doesn't make you terrible for wanting that.... but you need to realise it probably won't happen

Will you be turning places down?

You need to help yourself, not expect the council to help you.

Youonlylive Tue 15-Aug-17 22:51:01

Doesn't make you a bad person at all.
Who would really want to live in a rough estate on the 8th floor.
Hope your lucky

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now