Talk

Advanced search

With my first world problem-beach hut issue.

(350 Posts)
LesleyKnopeIsdope Tue 15-Aug-17 11:05:10

We've been on the waiting list for a beach for for ages.

A new set are being built and we've been successful in securing a great one.

We were going to buy but I've had to put a hold on it for the following reasons-

I was trying to -using the square footage/floor plans - plan where storage stuff and table/mini kitchen would go etc and asked DH for his help

He's basically dismissed everything and told me that his kayack is going in and that everything else will have to fit around it.

His kayak will only fit it its diagonal and he's refusing to have is hing from the ceiling (which means everyone will have to bend anyway to avoid concussion - there's no permission granted for lockable storage under either.

I asked him is he'd also maintain /paint do essential repairs as he does nothing at home-answer- no im happy just to have somewhere for a kettle and a kayack. No consideration for anyone else or anyone else's enjoyment of it.

I've told him I'm withdrawing from it then- which he's having a huge strop.

I already do every shred of maintencance/work/upkeep on our home he helps with nothing- he has a home office which looks like he's Mr Trebus's protégée ND can just see myself wishing I'd not bothered.

Am I being unreasonable to withdraw (and think £18k for a kayack storage facility because DH is too fucking lazy to take his out of the shed and onto the car) and look elsewhere for myself and he kids?

[edited to correct copy and paste errors at OP's request]

cardibach Tue 15-Aug-17 11:08:44

Some c and p problems there OP!
How close to the beach do you live?
If I had a spare 18k I wouldn't be spending it in beach storage and somewhere to make a cuppa and a sandwich (I live 10 mins walk from the beach). I can't really see the point of beach huts.

PinkHeart5911 Tue 15-Aug-17 11:10:38

So you want a beach hut and your dh wants an (expensive) shed for his Kayack?

No way would I pay £18k to store a bloody Kayack! shock

withdrawal from buying it OR buy it for you an the dc to enjoy and I'm sure you can think or somewhere for your dh to shove his Kayack wink

LesleyKnopeIsdope Tue 15-Aug-17 11:10:44

We live about 9 miles away-I grew up on the coast and will never have the money to move back.

Well, some people buy fancy cars- I just want to own a little spot on the beach.

I think my H is being an arse.

LesleyKnopeIsdope Tue 15-Aug-17 11:12:54

Pink heart-it would be stupid to have a. Each hit and his kayack at home but what I'm fucked off about is he's happy to literally throw it in without any consideration for anyone else (my kids couldn't move it -nor I alone either ) even hanging it up with the front part being in the eaves was poo-pooed.

He's telling me I'm being selfish hmm

MsGameandWatching Tue 15-Aug-17 11:13:22

I'd love a beautiful little beach hut. Imagine the peace. You could go for a walk/jog in the morning then sit and watch the ocean <<dreams>>

There's no way on this earth I would be buying a beach hut to store a kayak in. I would rather not do it at all. No real advice OP but I totally get you.

RandomDent Tue 15-Aug-17 11:13:37

I'd buy it and hide the keys. grin

LesleyKnopeIsdope Tue 15-Aug-17 11:14:36

Really?

H's off on one this morning reminding me every 10 minutes how it's been my dream for years and that I'm depriving the DC shock

LesleyKnopeIsdope Tue 15-Aug-17 11:15:07

Random
He'd change the locks and throw the kayack in.

No joke.

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Tue 15-Aug-17 11:15:10

He's being an arse.

He's already got somewhere to store his kayak-the shed.

Does the rest of the family already have somewhere to sit sheltered by the beach, get changed, make tea and sandwiches? No.
That's what the beach hut is for

AllTheWittyNamesAreGone Tue 15-Aug-17 11:15:38

Buy it and don't give him keys

UnmentionedElephantDildo Tue 15-Aug-17 11:15:41

You could keep telling him: "This is the family beach hut. There is no space for your kayak unless it is hung from the ceiling".

Like a stuck record. Adding if necessary "It is selfish to expect to dominate a family space when there is a perfectly workable alternative that gives everyone a fair share"

Do check what the regs are about mini-kitchen. When my DParents had one, we could only use a portable camping gas burners up to a certain size.

napmeistergeneral Tue 15-Aug-17 11:15:58

Unless you're absolutely minted 18k for kayak storage is ridiculous. He is being utterly selfish. You are right to withdraw if the alternative is being fucked off every time you go to use your beach hut. Yes they are a lot of money - which is exactly why there's no point unless you're going to be smart in the way you use it. YANBU!

AllTheWittyNamesAreGone Tue 15-Aug-17 11:16:25

And if he wants one for his kayak then he can put his name down and wait years like you did

MollyHuaCha Tue 15-Aug-17 11:17:17

I love beach huts. Maybe show him some photos of the sort of interior you had in mind? Hope you are able to come to a good compromise.

WrittenandGrown Tue 15-Aug-17 11:18:15

I would get the beach hut and dump the DH and the kayak.

BarbaraofSevillle Tue 15-Aug-17 11:18:40

Taking up all the hut just to store the kayak is stupid. It just makes the hut a ridiculously expensive storage facility.

You're right, it's not worth bothering as you won't be able to use the hut, if he just throws the kayak in.

Is there anywhere he can pay to store the kayak at the beach if putting on the car everytime he wants to use it is too much effort? Or could he get a trailer? How often does he use the kayak, out of interest?

DecisionTree Tue 15-Aug-17 11:19:43

Im just wondrring if there would be space under the beach hut to store his kayak? Ive seen that set up recently and it might be a good compromise?

annandale Tue 15-Aug-17 11:21:34

Do people really keep valuable stuff like kayaks in beach huts? Wouldn't it be really likely to get nicked?

Do your kids like kayaking?

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Tue 15-Aug-17 11:21:49

Could he get a smaller kayak that would fit in with all the ESSENTIALS in place?

BarbaraofSevillle Tue 15-Aug-17 11:22:11

Or could it be chained to the back? Build a cage or something to put it in?

CuppaTeaAndAJammieDodger Tue 15-Aug-17 11:22:53

Umm, surely, if storing a kayak is rendering the hut unusable by anyone, then he is the one depriving the kids?

dollydaydream114 Tue 15-Aug-17 11:23:49

YANBU. That would be an insane amount of money to spend on storing a kayak. A beach hut isn't an equipment shed, which is why they cost a fortune. A wealthy friend of mine has one and it's lovely and she gets loads of use out of it and her family and friends go there with her for beach days etc. But it's got comfy seats and a little table for having a picnic & so on. It would be unusable with a kayak in it.

Crumbelina Tue 15-Aug-17 11:25:32

Urg! Buy the beach hut and throw his kayak in the sea. I have issues like this with DH and his 3 bikes that can't possibly be stored outside of the house.

Seriously though, I'd plough on with the purchase and make your plans for storage etc. anyway. Make the hut beautiful so the Kayak looks completely out of place and too small. He'll have to see reason and eventually move it.

RightOnTheEdge Tue 15-Aug-17 11:25:36

God he sounds really awfull.

I would absolutely love a beach hut. It would be such a shame for you and your dc to miss out because he is a selfish pig.

He is being totally unreasonable!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: