Talk

Advanced search

To think it's cheeky to apply for an Irish passport because of brexit?

(818 Posts)
MyheartbelongstoG Fri 11-Aug-17 16:10:44

Just that really.

sonjadog Fri 11-Aug-17 16:11:35

Why do you think it is cheeky?

PinkHeart5911 Fri 11-Aug-17 16:12:08

Why? If someone is eligible to apply why shouldn't they if they wish? They aren't doing anything wrong

Annebronte Fri 11-Aug-17 16:12:56

No. I think it's very sensible. My friends with UK and Irish passports find the Irish ones much better to travel with, regardless of Brexit. This will be so much more th case in the future, unfortunately.

Mychildcouldnotbreaatfeed Fri 11-Aug-17 16:13:18

Why? They're entitled and they're paying for it.

MyheartbelongstoG Fri 11-Aug-17 16:13:33

If they didn't consider it before Brexit, if they've never even been to Ireland then why bother?

Andrewofgg Fri 11-Aug-17 16:13:35

Anyone who can claim double citizenship of a continuing Member State of the EU is well advised to do so.

BeyondThePage Fri 11-Aug-17 16:14:32

I can't - must be the only person here without ANY Irish heritage at all.

If people want to that's fine, so long as they don't harp on about Britain for the British and all that.

MsRinky Fri 11-Aug-17 16:14:35

I've applied for mine and am very grateful that by an accident of birth I won't have my rights as an EU citizen taken from me. I campaigned and voted against Brexit, so don't think it's cheeky at all. Why do you?

LemonRedwood Fri 11-Aug-17 16:14:45

Myheart Because they didn't need to before Brexit?

MrTrebus Fri 11-Aug-17 16:15:22

I've got an Irish passport and a British passport and always have (Dad Irish mum british) and I will be applying for both for my new DD because of Brexit and I don't think it's cheeky.

MyheartbelongstoG Fri 11-Aug-17 16:16:09

Anne, I agree. My boss travels on her Irish passport but goes to the north if she needs to NHS.

opinionatedfreak Fri 11-Aug-17 16:16:12

I would if I could but can't because my Mother (who is dead) didn't do it.

If she had I would have been able to.

MsRinky Fri 11-Aug-17 16:16:20

My brother has always had one in preference to a UK passport, but he's always been a bit of a plastic paddy. I've been to Ireland plenty, thanks. Always been welcome as well, clearly didn't bump into you...

supermoon100 Fri 11-Aug-17 16:17:05

Not as cheeky as brexit

Costacoffeeplease Fri 11-Aug-17 16:17:29

Who says they'd never visited Ireland before? I've been loads of times to visit grandparents, aunt and cousins - and I now have an Irish passport, which I am perfectly entitled to. Maybe lobby the Irish government to change the rules, if you feel that strongly?

Sounds like sour grapes to me

Mychildcouldnotbreaatfeed Fri 11-Aug-17 16:17:31

Because Brexit is a game changer?

is that not obvious?

scottishdiem Fri 11-Aug-17 16:17:39

Nope. We've moved here and are now eight months into the five year process of actual citizenship. Then we will apply for our Irish passports.

LemonRedwood Fri 11-Aug-17 16:17:46

Beyond I have Irish heritage but am not eligible unfortunately. I was also born in a different eu country but don't qualify under their rules either. My dad always joked about me and my sister being mongers because in terms of heritage we're a mix of loads of things but looks like I'm stuck with a UK passport regardless grin

ladystarkers Fri 11-Aug-17 16:17:57

I an going to get one. I have been to Ireland loads, regardless I am second generation Irish.hmm

Mrskeats Fri 11-Aug-17 16:18:49

I love you super
Although cheeky wouldn't be my adjective of choice

LemonRedwood Fri 11-Aug-17 16:19:08

Mongrels, not mongers !

Flushedwithsomething Fri 11-Aug-17 16:20:05

Opinionated I'm not sure that's right? If your Mum was second generation and you are third you can still apply - just have to get both your births registered as Irish foreign births. Worth checking again...

EastDulwichWife Fri 11-Aug-17 16:23:12

What a ridiculous AIBU. Why shouldn't they? And who's to say they haven't been? And even if not, why does it matter? It's not costing you anything. You'd be a fool not to.

Bardo Fri 11-Aug-17 16:24:19

I don't know about that. They were always entitled to if they wanted to. I lived in the UK for 14 years and whilst I was never entitled to a British passport, I don't think it mattered. Now with all this Brexit shit I don't blame British people for taking it up if they can. It shows what people really think of Brexit. I really wish that they'd just abort the whole fiasco. It's going to be a nightmare for Ireland. Just have another referendum until you get the right answer. That's the Irish way. I'm annoyed with the British for not doing a u-turn on Brexit, just out of pride. They could have said ''listen lads, anybody fancy another referendum?''

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: