Talk

Advanced search

Smuggling alcohol into a wedding reception?

(316 Posts)
jessie777 Sat 29-Jul-17 00:58:17

Would you? Have you?! Did you get caught?! wine

myrtleWilson Sat 29-Jul-17 00:59:05

why would you??

BackforGood Sat 29-Jul-17 01:01:33

myrtle - I suspect because some unscrupulous venues know you have no choice but to be there, and charge extortionate amounts for their drinks at the bar.

jessie777 Sat 29-Jul-17 01:02:07

Because once you've spent hundreds on the hen party, the hotel, the gift etc... £8 a glass of wine is the last thing you feel like paying!

jessie777 Sat 29-Jul-17 01:02:58

There was an old thread on here with some top tips interesting examples of how people managed it, but I can't find it now wink

Pallisers Sat 29-Jul-17 01:05:11

off topic but I had an argument (drink taken - utter shame but still think I was right) with dh's cousin's fiance because he brought a bottle of wine into BIL's wedding reception to drink. I spotted him with a botle of wine down by the leg of his chair and asked him what it was.
All drink was free - all night - but he wanted a "better wine" - he had no idea what the wine would be like beforehand but he brought his own bottle anyway. Like I said drink taken but god I massively had a go at him for being a snobbish twat who didn't understand the give and take of hospitality.

CWG17 Sat 29-Jul-17 01:05:47

If you do, make sure you take your empties with you as I've read stories where the bride and groom were charged the equivalent price in 'lost sales' when the venue found the empty bottles under the tables.

Slimthistime Sat 29-Jul-17 01:05:57

I never have but Ive wished I had.

I don't even drink much, but fuck me, a boring wedding and a pricey bar is adding insult isn't it. No one checks your bag at a wedding but you could only take a swig in the loo, I guess.

Slimthistime Sat 29-Jul-17 01:07:16

Oh hang on, wine? I was thinking vodka in a hip flask! Dunno how you'd manage wine.

NoLoveofMine Sat 29-Jul-17 01:08:21

The only good thing about weddings I've ever been to is alcohol is available on tap no matter your age (within reason). Why bother?

WiganPierre Sat 29-Jul-17 01:11:41

No, that's disgraceful behaviour.

CookieWarbler Sat 29-Jul-17 01:13:20

I went to a wedding where a group of us shared a 'car bar'. Basically a couple of bottles of spirits in the boot of someone's car. We bought soft drinks at the venue and topped up from the car bar. Felt no shame, drink prices were extortionate and at the time I was skint so it made sense to keep the cost down but still go to a dear friend's wedding

rjay123 Sat 29-Jul-17 01:14:00

If you must do it - take the bottle in a gift bag!

Pinkkahori Sat 29-Jul-17 01:14:51

I saw a handbag on facebook the other day specially made for the purpose of sneaking alcohol.
It had a hidden pouch to hold the wine and a little flap you lift to reveal a tap!

TheCraicDealer Sat 29-Jul-17 01:15:21

I had to visit a wedding venue once and the event planner was telling me that culchies guests will often bring a car (even if there's a coach laid on) then leave their booze in the boot and make regular forays out to the car park to top themselves up before going back to the party. I was aghast that they let them away with it but she said "well we can't police what people bring in their cars or stop them from going to their vehicles so we just have to get on with it"!

TotalPerspectiveVortex Sat 29-Jul-17 01:17:48

I did it. Hotel, middle of nowhere, extortionate bar prices. We were already paying to stay in the hotel, so I took a hip flask with vodka in to the reception. Just bought cokes & topped up. One of the brides knew and even had some herself, thought it was a great idea. I wouldn't do it as a matter of course, but I'd already spent a fortune.

Pinkkahori Sat 29-Jul-17 01:20:30

www.drinksbagcompany.com

Redglitter Sat 29-Jul-17 01:22:39

I did this once at a night out. Gift wrapped a wine box in lovely paper with ribbon etc. Cut a hole for where the tap was and stuck a big bow over it. Bow got removed to top up the wine and then replaced again. Worked a treat blush

PenguinTattoo Sat 29-Jul-17 01:23:05

Simple anwser is no, I wouldn't do it, however if you would, I suggest the following:
Reception only! Have a flask of vodka, gin, whisky and only order mixers Do not decant flask in public. I recommend doing so in bathrooms. Decanting to a party approved glass is good..in private.
The youngsters tell me it seems to be called a pre game party when they get dressed/ready and neck shots to save cash later. Sounds fun too. They literally turn up to pub drinks on Fri night and only order Jagerbombs and / or tequila. No pints of beer/wine for them!
Choose your poison and gin/vodka up, so in rounds u only pay for mixers.
Most importantly, have one night a month when you ignore any money advice! Friday nights can get made easier via an m&s meal deal. But don' ignore waitrise/co op/Tesco finest ranges. £10 for a main, sides and pudding!

TheDowagerCuntess Sat 29-Jul-17 01:30:13

A friend of mine went to a dry wedding on NYE. You'd be forgiven for smuggling a little something into a wedding like that. 🍸

Hudson10 Sat 29-Jul-17 01:36:15

If you're going to start smuggling drinks into wedding receptions into your handbag, I totally understand. Never done it myself but have been to weddings when I can see why people have sneakily brought their own along!

CoughLaughFart Sat 29-Jul-17 01:37:12

Those baby food pouches you can buy are a great way to smuggle vodka. A friend did it at a festival last year; the bag searchers apparently didn't spot our lack of a child grin

CoughLaughFart Sat 29-Jul-17 01:38:25

All drink was free - all night - but he wanted a "better wine" - he had no idea what the wine would be like beforehand but he brought his own bottle anyway. Like I said drink taken but god I massively had a go at him for being a snobbish twat who didn't understand the give and take of hospitality.

This was your business why?

Pallisers Sat 29-Jul-17 01:50:21

because I thought it was really really dismissive and rude to the hospitality being shown to him. Like if you brought your own wine to a dinner party because you didn't trust your hosts to have enough money to buy decent wine.

And it wasn't my business - just like commenting on my post isn't your business if we take a strict definition of business - but he was sitting right next to me and it really irritated me.

And as I said a few times in my post - drink was taken so my inhibitions were down. If I hadn't had a couple of glasses of wine I'd probably have said nothing to him and just thought "what a twat". I had a couple of glasses of wine so I asked him if he thought he was being polite and mannerly by bringing his own wine in.

Does that explain it enough for you?

CoughLaughFart Sat 29-Jul-17 01:56:04

I think if you were that bothered about the bride and groom's hospitality you wouldn't have picked an argument at their wedding reception.

NapQueen Sat 29-Jul-17 01:57:30

Buy a box of wine. Wrap in wedding paper. Leave spout accessible. Put in wedding gift bag. Keep under your seat.

AreWeThereYet000 Sat 29-Jul-17 02:02:59

I have done, went to a wedding plus reception that was £8 a pint so dread to think what the wine list prices were! Took a bottle of rum each (me and DP) and still spent £120 on sodas and the odd 'proper' drink

CatThiefKeith Sat 29-Jul-17 02:07:42

Had I known that sils wedding venue in the middle of fecking nowhere charged £6.50 a pint and £9 for a glass of wine (6 years ago)
I would probably have smuggled some in!

As an ex raver, ex publican and ex festival goer here are my top tips:

Vodka in a fruit shoot bottle

A watermelon full of your favourite spirit.. drill a small hole in to top, drop the juice over night, refill with alcohol and place a sticker over the hole.

Bottle of wine concealed by wrap over your arm (classy venues only - festivals will search you)

Nobody ever searches a changing bag - especially not one with a soiled nappy inside. wink

Fleshmechanic Sat 29-Jul-17 02:17:21

I've done it before. I've also smuggled it into pubs. I just take the bottle out of my bag and pour the JD under the table when no ones looking or just go into the toilet and do it. If you just don't act suspicious then it's fine. I'm not friends or related to anyone snobby or anything so if anyone caught us (even the bride and groom) they wouldn't have given a fuck anyway. We just had to hide it because of the staff. Drinks are expensive. I don't do it all the time anyway, only when I'm particularly skint.

coursedarlin Sat 29-Jul-17 02:20:27

A large group of us went to a colleagues wedding reception. We each bought a bottle and arrived with them in bottle bags. They stayed under the table with us all topping our glasses up through the night

Slimthistime Sat 29-Jul-17 02:32:52

Cat, im not sure about carrying a watermelon into any event, least of all a wedding. grin

Beeziekn33ze Sat 29-Jul-17 03:04:22

Friend was determined to give her DD a good 18th party, they'd had several family problems and didn't have a lot of money. Lovely party in a hired room at a club, bar prices reasonable too.
A few teenage boys smuggled in their own drinks, staff noticed and my poor friend lost her substantial deposit.
No, I wouldn't. It's selfish.,

DeliciouslyHella Sat 29-Jul-17 03:09:00

Yes, I once went to a wedding with such extortionate prices that someone nipped out and got a bottle of vodka from an offie. As we were all staying overnight at the venue, we topped up our drinks upstairs away from the party.

A couple of people did it at our wedding. We got married in a Wetherspoons pub, but they didn't stock the (highly unusual) drinks these guests drunk, so they brought hip flasks with them.

PhDPepper Sat 29-Jul-17 03:16:09

https://www.firebox.com/Wine-Handbags/p5868

Tada!!

purplesippycup Sat 29-Jul-17 03:19:13

I have only a few weeks ago.

It cost an absolute fortune in petrol to get to the wedding venue.

2 nights bed and breakfast £350. Too far to travel the morning of the wedding or after the reception so had to stay over for it to be worth going at all.

Outfits, shameless couple asked us to pay for DH and DS outfits (even though they were in the wedding party)

It was the wedding of a close relative so couldn't just not go.

The hotel was in the middle of nowhere so no choice to go off for food elsewhere night before the wedding unless we wanted to drive 45 minutes, so had to have an evening meal there which cost a lot.

There, we discovered that a pint of lager was £5, a small glass of the cheapest wine was £6. Soft drinks were about £3 each. They even charged £1.50 for a splash of a mixer!

One round for a family of 3 was costing roughly £15 depending on what we had.

It was ridiculous considering we were there for 2 days.

My friend and I warned a relative who was traveling up on the morning of the wedding about the prices. God love her she turned up with several bottles of wine and some vodka, all cleverly wrapped up so the lids were still removable, and put them inside bottle gift bags. She also brought a couple of packs of fruit shoots for the kids.

We kept them under the table posing as gifts, and poured under there discreetly, then took them all away with us at the end of the night.

We paid for soft drinks/mixers and lagers so we didn't completely dodge paying for drinks. It just allowed us to relax and not worry about how much it was all costing.

Felt no shame as we spent a fortune at the hotel anyway, room, food and we did pay for some drinks, and we felt their prices were really unfair considering the drinks were only average supermarket type wines and beers, nothing special. I wouldn't have done it if they were more reasonable.

AlpacaLypse Sat 29-Jul-17 03:23:41

Having recently gone up that London for a 50th birthday and been rendered speechless at the bill for two glasses of wine and a pint of bitter when I went to the bar I have given up sympathy for licensees at venues. £8 for a small glass of cheap plonk is not on.

For festivals - you can get at least three bottles down the middle of the average tent. And two down the middle of a packed folding chair.

If you empty out a Capri Sun pouch, then refill it with vodka (and a bit of the original Capri Sun to sweeten it) you should be able to get two pouches into each bra. And probably one or two into knickers as well.

This theory has been tested very recently by teenage dds who listened carefully to mummy's advice about Very Important Things and have come home from a Festival and can confirm it worked.

TheFifthKey Sat 29-Jul-17 03:24:25

I think if a venue has a problem with habitual drink-smuggling it's up to them to have a good hard look at their pricing policy. I know I'd never book a function at a place with a stupidly pricey bar.

BadLad Sat 29-Jul-17 03:30:11

Pinkkahori

Thanks for posting that link. One Christmas present for DW bought.

She'll love it.

crazywriter Sat 29-Jul-17 03:36:20

My DHs family does this but takes the kids with it. I've taken spirits in small water bottles and ordered the mixers at the bar. Bars charge extortionate prices and you often have no choice but to pay them. I'm going to a wedding next month and planning on flasking it up

Pallisers Sat 29-Jul-17 04:05:39

I think if you were that bothered about the bride and groom's hospitality you wouldn't have picked an argument at their wedding reception.

Do you? fascinating. Thanks for your input on a wedding reception that is 10 years old now. Why on earth would you get so so engaged/critical about this? I posted as an aside on a thread. I didn't actually post and say AIBU? Do you bring wine to dinner parties/receptions yourself in case the wine served isn't up to your standard? Is that why my anecdote seems to have engaged you so much?

OutComeTheWolves Sat 29-Jul-17 04:46:34

Everyone I know does it. Wedding venues charge an absolute fortune.

JackTwist Sat 29-Jul-17 04:56:23

No one checks your bag at a wedding but you could only take a swig in the loo, I guess

We all had our bags checked on the way in to a wedding reception last year

SelfObsessionHoney Sat 29-Jul-17 05:16:55

I went to a day festival last year. I'm cheap. Bought two bottles of value suncream, washed out with hot water and filled with gin. I just looked very sun sensible. But I'd put my long lasting factor 50 on before I left the house to get drunk on my contrabsnd gin.

ifigoup Sat 29-Jul-17 05:28:03

I went to a dry wedding a couple of years ago. The bride's and groom's families were both teetotal for religious reasons (though the bride and groom did drink) and the reception venue didn't allow any alcohol on the premises (also because of its religious foundation). People did smuggle hip flasks into that one, but I didn't because I thought it was disrespectful.

NashvilleQueen Sat 29-Jul-17 05:50:58

Pmsl at the wedding watermelon 🍉

luckylucky24 Sat 29-Jul-17 06:01:16

If you want wine, take a couple of those miniatures in your handbag. Buy one drink and then pour yours into the glass. Spirits are easy to sneak in with either a hip flask or food colouring bottles. I have been known to wedge a few colouring bottles into a garter hidden under a long dress! (prom).

Mintylizzy9 Sat 29-Jul-17 06:36:34

Box of wine in a gift bag with some of that shredded tissue paper on top and dangling down the side to hide it. Cut a small trapdoor at side of bag where the box tap is.....I've never done it of course no one suspected a thing

butternutsquashtime Sat 29-Jul-17 06:50:13

Every wedding I've been to I've taken some
Form of alcohol.

Buy your first drink at the bar and then go to your room to top it up.

If you've been to the venue before you'll know what bottles beer they sell so you can take that.

Hotel prices are a rip off.

Bluepansies Sat 29-Jul-17 06:51:15

Pallisers people are allowed to disagree with you - you're being really excessively arsey and rude. The point made by pp that starting an argument at a wedding being more rude than someone bringing their own drink is a valid one. You being sarcastic about someone having an opinion on that makes as much sense as you having an opinion on it. It works both ways confused

CatThiefKeith Sat 29-Jul-17 06:57:59

Watermelon isn't brilliant for weddings, admittedly, but works brilliantly for any kind of day festival

seastargirl Sat 29-Jul-17 07:00:49

If you're doing it, please make sure you take your empties home as some places will charge the bride and groom corkage for anything they find.

FindoGask Sat 29-Jul-17 07:01:35

This is fairly standard behaviour amongst people I know! I can't really see a problem in venues that charge £££ for booze. Most people have already paid for accommodation etc to be there, and the couple would have paid thousands to hire the place too.

IHaveACrapCat Sat 29-Jul-17 07:11:29

I smuggled booze into my own wedding. We'd spent £1.5k on free booze for guests (prosecco on tables in day then £800 behind the bar at night). It was all we could afford and it certainly helped to get guests on their merry way, but I'd have liked to offer more. Venue charged extortionate corkage so we bought a few extra bottles of the same prosecco and got them in easily. Venue didn't notice as they were identical. DH also bought groomsmen hip flasks with their favourite tipple in as a gift. Vague memory that this may have been noticed but no issue re charging.

Northernmum100 Sat 29-Jul-17 07:11:46

I can't paste the link but look on Amazon and search for ' umbrella drinks flask' Genius!

I went to a wedding which had essentially taken over the hotel and in each room was a folder with itinerary etc and it said that if any guests were found consuming their own alcohol the bride and groom would be charged literally hundreds of pounds (think it was 500). How they planned to enforce this I have no idea. I sat in the reception wondering if someone was rummaging through my case upstairs or they were just eagle eyed and hovering around looking for offenders!

scaredofthecity Sat 29-Jul-17 07:14:36

This is very much standard for me. Hotel prices are extortinate, and the beer is quite often foul so me and DH will share hip flasks with bought mixers.
Mixers are still pricy, and if the booze wasn't so damn expensive we'd happily pay for it!

Fifthtimelucky Sat 29-Jul-17 07:19:29

I've obviously led a sheltered life as I have never known of anyone doing this, or done it myself. Having said that, I don't go to many weddings these days (though starting to increase after several years without going to any, as the next generation start getting married) and I don't drink. My husband does drink, but not much in one go.

I wonder whether people take their own drinks because the venue charges so much, or wedding venues charge so much because they know that a substantial proportion of the guests will take their own. I suspect that both are true.

MrsJayy Sat 29-Jul-17 07:23:49

Years ago we were at a hotel that was so expensive it charged for ice a round of drinks would make your eyes water soo dh who was driving went to the local spar and bought me a quarter bottle of vodka it fitted in his suit jacket and i just ordered sodawater and lime all night (no ice) so yes I would do it. Wine is always expensive at 'Do's" not sure why

MrsJayy Sat 29-Jul-17 07:24:34

A hotel wedding*

PansyParkinson Sat 29-Jul-17 07:25:35

Look closely at the girl in black.

silkpyjamasallday Sat 29-Jul-17 07:25:40

You could get one of these OP https://www.amazon.com/WineRack-200-008-Wine-Rack-Medium/dp/B001FYZZI2

But as it looks like it has more coverage than the average maternity bra it may be hard to find an outfit to cover it fully grin

dudsville Sat 29-Jul-17 07:26:35

I haven't been to a wedding in years but I've never been to one where you had to pay for drinks, and it certainly sounds expensive. I have however been to a lot of funerals lately. One was in a religious community and a handful of us were not of the religion. One guy asked me if I wanted a top up on my water and when I said yes he said he bet I wished it was vodka. I didn't but I shared the joke with him and he followed with offering me a drink from the stash he'd brought with him! I just thought this was funny.

Tiptoethr0ughthetulips Sat 29-Jul-17 07:31:07

Always do it and never been caught. Don't bring it out at the reception but certainly the evening do. If staying in the hotel ( which we usually do) we keep wine and beer in the room, usually in a cold bath and buy first drink then top up.
We've also taken wine in gift bag and done that. Hip flask in bag/ suit pocket, empty water bottle full of vodka in bag etc.
Only ever been to one wedding with a free bar.

LouHotel Sat 29-Jul-17 07:32:34

Speaking from a hotel perspective. Its cheeky as anything for guest to do it and some of your are beyond obvious; I had a couple of guests order a pint of coke and an extra glass then sit down on the table opposite where i was standing to start pouring their spirit of choice from the flask....they couldnt even be bothered to buy two cokes or move away from the bar, i took great joy in confiscating from them!!!

Outside food and drink affects a venues licensing and can lead to monstrous fines if in breach.

lmer Sat 29-Jul-17 07:34:49

Nope it's rude.. also if you get caught the venue runs the risk of huge fines

NotPennysBoat Sat 29-Jul-17 07:40:42

Absolutely! I wrap it in tissue and put it in a gift bag, although I have known a distant cousin to turn up with a huge wrapped present which turned out to be a 12-pack of beer!!

Doobigetta Sat 29-Jul-17 07:46:26

I'd never do this, and I hate it when other people do. Rude, cheap behaviour.

Elephant17 Sat 29-Jul-17 08:00:21

Pallisers, fwiw I think you were fair enough.

Fgs she didn't smash a bar stool over his head, very much doubt her telling him off for being rude wrecked the wedding! She was sticking up for the bride and groom.

One thing discreetly smuggling alcohol in but to sit there with a bottle of your own wine because you don't trust the quality of the wine being served (ironically, the opposite of classy!) makes you a bit of a brazen fucker if you ask me.

Katkincake Sat 29-Jul-17 08:04:44

If you do please be discrete - we got charged £700 after our wedding after hotel found empties left by our guests - after much correspondence we settled on half that price to save going to small claims court.

There was plenty of free booze laid on in the day, but we couldn't stretch to a free bar in eve (which wasn't extortionate) some people just wanted to get legless I guess hmm

AlpacaPicnic Sat 29-Jul-17 08:13:37

I have smuggled a hip flask into several venues that bag search by having a black bottomed handbag and wrapping the flask in a black scarf or sock then laying it flat at the bottom. Put purse, fags, makeup etc on top. Some places make you open your bag for a look but don't often poke around in it.
Also - buy men's jackets as they have inside pockets which are basically designed for half bottles of spirits. I actually prefer these for my purse as well.
I have also carried three miniatures into somewhere in my bra before... one down each side and one in the middle.

Dizzywhore Sat 29-Jul-17 08:19:04

I have! Vodka in a water bottle. No one noticed!

BadLad Sat 29-Jul-17 08:53:04

Saw this and thought of you

44PumpLane Sat 29-Jul-17 09:06:20

DHs friend is pretty skint and does the wrapped box of wine in a gift bag trick for every wedding they go to.

We specifically discounted some wedding venues due to their bar prices as some of them just totally take the piss!

So if you're planning a wedding always ask the venues what their bar prices are people!

jessie777 Sat 29-Jul-17 09:07:55

Good morning! Reading through the many replies now! smile

DonaldStott Sat 29-Jul-17 09:10:49

Of course! Take wine in a gift bag. Drink it yourself.

LoniceraJaponica Sat 29-Jul-17 09:15:47

It's a pity that hotels charge such ridiculous prices for their drinks, but I would feel uncomfortable doing this.

Smuggling alcohol into pubs, however, is a despicable thing to do. This has probably contributed to some pubs closing down. After all, selling drinks is the pub's main line of business, unlike hotels who can make money elsewhere.

RainbowsAndUnicorn Sat 29-Jul-17 09:15:52

I don't blame people for doing this, weddings already cost guests enough to attend without having to pay for drinks etc on top as the couple aren't catering the whole event to keep their own costs down.

AtHomeDadGlos Sat 29-Jul-17 09:18:14

The watermelon one at a wedding?! Lol.

But it did remind me of a time when I went to the cricket (you were permitted one bottle of wine each to bring in) and someone had a large loaf of bread wrapped in cling film with a 'cheese and onion' label on. They unwrapped it and inside was a litre bottle of gin. Genius. G&Ts all round, all day. gin

I have 'smuggled' drink in to wedding receptions before. I was an evening only guest so brought a 50cl bottle of whiskey in my jacket pocket. Bought Coke and added it surreptitiously. Go for it, but be discreet.

JustDanceAddict Sat 29-Jul-17 09:20:27

Never had or would do this. Usually at the functions we go to, the bar is free for guests or at least until a certain time.

marmaladeforme Sat 29-Jul-17 09:23:56

Yes yes to the carbar cookie. The wedding we went to was so overpriced so we had wine and beer in the car and kept slipping out to refill. No shame felt at all. But a lot of money saved.

CoughLaughFart Sat 29-Jul-17 09:27:02

Thanks for your input on a wedding reception that is 10 years old now. Why on earth would you get so so engaged/critical about this?

First of all, how the hell would I know if it was 10 years or 10 days ago? Secondly, if you don't want people to comment on your posts, don't post. No one forced you to put it out there. I think 'so engaged' is a bit delusional on your part.

BeyondDrinksAndKnowsThings Sat 29-Jul-17 09:30:06

We did it recently. Went with a friend and we took a bottle of vodka with the plan to buy a few drinks from the bar too. First round was £12 and we were shock (it wasnt a hotel or anywhere posh where we'd expect it to cost loads) so from then we bought Coke (only £1 a can so much more reasonable) and used the vodka.

I took a large handbag and put it in there, just poured it at the table. We weren't the only ones doing the same.

BeyondDrinksAndKnowsThings Sat 29-Jul-17 09:32:22

Cough - I get alcohol into festivals by putting it under my wheelchair cushion wink (funnily enough they don't search there!)

FindoGask Sat 29-Jul-17 09:33:41

"some people just wanted to get legless I guess hmm"

Well yes, a lot of people (me included) do like a drink at a wedding, and one and a half glasses of free prosecco per person only go so far on what is usually a very long day. I'm sure these guests didn't know you would be charged £700 by the venue though - sorry to hear that, glad you negotiated it down but even so, it's a shame you had to pay anything extra.

Jojobythesea Sat 29-Jul-17 09:34:24

Even easier if one of you has a room....wine

SlideAway82 Sat 29-Jul-17 09:37:43

I got married in April and people did this at mine - kept bottles of vodka in their rooms! Didn't bother me in the slightest and I think I even had some myself at one point!

ForeverLivingMyArse Sat 29-Jul-17 09:39:00

I consider myself a bit of a pro at getting drink into events! Weddings are a no brainer, gift bag.

I have strapped half bottles to my leg under a maxi dress to go to the races before.

I'm class.

JennyBlueWren Sat 29-Jul-17 09:48:36

My MIL told me about a friend of theirs who was at a reception where the bar was known to be expensive so had a lot of bottles in her large handbag... which she left behind! Had to go and collect it the next day and it was clinking!
Apparently the normal thing to do if it is a hotel is to have someone's room as a bar and keep popping up.
We had our reception at a community centre with a free help yourself bar (topped up by all the bottles people brought us). I was surprised at how restrained people were.

Katkincake Sat 29-Jul-17 09:49:20

Findogask - it was far more than one and half glasses of prosecco they had. the wine was non stop during the meal and most of the afternoon. They were already pissed by then - hence my legless comment (I also like to drink at weddings, I'm not tee total)

We checked the bar prices before booking (which were reasonable). Booked a local venue (rather than one I'd have preferred further away) so people didn't need to stop over and could get grandparents to pick up their kids early eve - put on entertainment for the kids. Having done everything I could to think of our guests and ensure they were happy, well catered, entertained and not hanging around for food or sitting through dull speeches, I was a tad pissed off that they were blantently swigging straight from bottles of rum and wine and leaving them lying around (we saw photos on Facebook) leaving us with an unexpected bill.

I have no problem with people taking alcohol to venues but just be discrete about it and take your empties home!!

FanwankTheAbsurd Sat 29-Jul-17 09:50:07

Just put the bottles into a gift bag and it will just look like it's a present for the bride and groom. I have done this in a restaurant never done this blush

user1497557435 Sat 29-Jul-17 09:50:08

Hell yeh!

TSSDNCOP Sat 29-Jul-17 09:51:08

No. The bride and groom will get whacked with corkage if you're caught. Plus it's super-tacky.

Serialweightwatcher Sat 29-Jul-17 09:53:10

Northernmum100 is this the umbrella flask ... I haven't drunk alcohol for years but I understand why people would do this - if it had been me though, after two I'd be pouring it out at the table so not very discreet hmm

stitchglitched Sat 29-Jul-17 09:54:07

I don't drink alcohol but I always do this with fruit shoots! I have very thirsty kids so will always buy their first drink at the bar but beyond that I'm not going to keep paying ridiculous amounts. Trip to poundland first and stick them in my large handbag.

Crumbs1 Sat 29-Jul-17 09:54:48

Gracious if I had more than was available at the breakfast, I'd be unable to walk. Why would you feel the need to have more than was provided? Is it to try and save the host parents the cost of your drinks? I think they've probably already budgeted sufficiently to meet most people's demands.

LoniceraJaponica Sat 29-Jul-17 09:56:01

"I have strapped half bottles to my leg under a maxi dress to go to the races before."

So that is why I got the pat down at Orlando airport last year - I was wearing a maxi dress.

KitKat1985 Sat 29-Jul-17 09:57:11

Not personally, but MIL snuck a bottle of vodka into a family wedding about 3 years ago to share with us all. It was a very snooty venue that was charging £8/9 a drink for single measure spirit and mixers / small glasses of wine, so I was grateful to her for thinking ahead! We were not in the best financial situation at the time and would probably have had to only have had one drink all evening otherwise.

I have no problem buying drinks at the bar providing the venue isn't taking the piss with it's pricing. Sadly a lot of wedding reception venues do.

operaha Sat 29-Jul-17 10:00:25

Two of my friends brought handbag wine to my wedding last year, and another two nipped to a shop to but jager as the venue didn't "do" shots.
The wine annoyed me a bit but the jager didn't... dunno where I get my standards from, I'm taking a hip flask of rum to a vair nice wedding reception tonight! It's a fairly standard move with people I know....

ForeverLivingMyArse Sat 29-Jul-17 10:02:44

Crumbs I don't know what type of weddings you're used to but the ones I have attended generally kick of around 2 and go on until 1am. There might be wine with the meal and a glass of fizz but come night time it's a pay bar. Free bars certainly aren't the norm here. It might be a Scottish thing - no one could afford to offer a free bar the rate it's consumed at a wedding!

PurpleDaisies Sat 29-Jul-17 10:02:53

I wouldn't do this. If it's too expensive to buy a drink, just don't drink.

CoughLaughFart Sat 29-Jul-17 10:03:20

Gracious if I had more than was available at the breakfast, I'd be unable to walk. Why would you feel the need to have more than was provided? Is it to try and save the host parents the cost of your drinks? I think they've probably already budgeted sufficiently to meet most people's demands.

This assumes all drinks are provided, which is rare. (Even rarer than 'host parents' these days.)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »