Talk

Advanced search

To ask your advice on these emails?

(19 Posts)
Cheekybintoooo Mon 17-Jul-17 23:53:19

Sometimes I worry I haven't got the tone quite right on work emails. Was asked to send across some info to v senior colleague today.

These are excerpts from a couple of my emails - slightly paranoid I sound a bit brusque?

"Hi x,
Please see below – Xyz. Am also in the process of sending through the relevant files to you, although it is taking a little while due to space restrictions.
Thanks, Y"

"Please find attached xyz. You should now have all documents, aside from document 825 which was too large to send, even as a separate email. If I can be of any further assistance, please do let me know."

OnlyRose Mon 17-Jul-17 23:57:03

They're fine. In my experience busy senior people appreciate you getting to the point.

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Mon 17-Jul-17 23:57:22

Am also should be I'm also, I do the same thing and trying to get out of the habit.

They're short and to the point, which would be fine where I work. Different sign off perhaps?

HarrietSchulenberg Mon 17-Jul-17 23:58:23

They sound absolutely fine. Email is meant to be brief and to the point, which these seem to be, and you've got a polite, friendly tone. Perfect, really.

SomeKnobend Mon 17-Jul-17 23:59:23

The tone is fine. You should have explained how they could get the larger file though - flash drive or whatever. You can't just shrug and say it's too big to email, tough you can't have it!

KeepServingTheDrinks Mon 17-Jul-17 23:59:52

Depends where you work and what you do. Have you been told you are?

You say you're emailing someone very senior, so it's not appropriate to put in emojis and xxxx's!

Your second email is a little less helpful. What is happening with doc 825? Are you sending it separately? Perhaps say that.

Do you work in the legal profession?

I don't think you're ever wrong if you're professional, so not much wrong with your emails from me, aside from the fact that you've listed something you're NOT doing to someone senior, and personally I try and demonstrate a 'can do' attitude to anyone superior to me in a work sense, so my email would have probably added "so sending it to you via hard copy in the internal post" (or whatever).

Not sure you'll find this helpful!

lilydaisyrose Tue 18-Jul-17 00:00:43

Recommend WeTransfer for large files!

Cheekybintoooo Tue 18-Jul-17 00:12:23

Ah yes, difficult to explain but they'd also been sent a separate link to access the folder - so they do have all the docs, but wanted me to email them through separately. There really is no other safe virtual way of me getting it through to them short of the method they already have access to. I'm a trainee lawyer.

TupperwareTat Tue 18-Jul-17 00:13:53

Instead of Hi & Thanks, I would put

Good morning/afternoon,

Kind regards.

& also I wouldn't start a sentence with 'Am' It sounds like a text.

Apart from that, Its all good.

Cheekybintoooo Tue 18-Jul-17 00:15:40

Thanks all!

I alternate between thanks and kind regards - thanks is the go-to at my place of work, as is hi. But suggestions much appreciated smile

Thenorthbloodywellremembers Tue 18-Jul-17 00:17:54

Tone absolutely fine - succinct and to the point. I would probably use dear instead of hi, and something a bit more polite than just thanks, perhaps best wishes? I work in professional environment with lots of different cultures though so err on the side of extra polite.

KeepServingTheDrinks Tue 18-Jul-17 00:18:18

I don't know how (I've no personal experience), but I got 'legal' from your post. (I did call it earlier in the thread!)

I think brusque and professional, always polite is the way to go, unless you've been told otherwise.

Just also rememmbered, I didn't use to put a salutation at hte beginning and end of emails. I'm VERY old, and went to secretarial college. While I was there we learned that letters have addresses, dates, Dear sir/madam or Dear Mr/Mrs (or name) and if it's "sir/madam" ends in Yours faithfully and if its "name" ends in Yours sincerely (and not taught, but I do it - if it's first names, I end with "best wishes" or similar).

Memos are a bit different (to/from/date/subject and then the text).

I used to treat emails more as memos, but then colleagues complained I never gave an initial salutation and never signed off. So now I do both. If it's to people I'm close to, I give "name x" if not, I leave out the x.

Thenorthbloodywellremembers Tue 18-Jul-17 00:18:22

Cross post!

TupperwareTat Tue 18-Jul-17 00:19:40

I wouldnt put thanks, because he/she hasn't actually done anything for me, and I'm the one doing all the work, by sending files & emails,

Im tight like that! blush

carefreeeee Tue 18-Jul-17 00:19:43

The tone is fine, but for a professional email to someone I don't know well I would write Dear so and so and finish it with Best Wishes or Regards. I wouldn't use thanks in that context because you are the one helping them - it seems a bit subservient. Saying Hi to someone very senior also might not be appropriate - but fine if they used it towards me first. Also I would write in full sentences with the correct punctuation and paragraphs - but generally just follow the form of what other people in your job do. Why are you suddenly worried?

TattyCat Tue 18-Jul-17 00:30:34

Depending on the professional relationship, I've been known to type 'Hello Andrew', or whoever as relevant. It's mid-way between Hi and Dear, to me and is still polite.

TattyCat Tue 18-Jul-17 00:31:34

Ah, and I never type 'best wishes'. That's for birthdays and congratulations, not work. Kind Regards or Best Regards is better.

TheNaze73 Tue 18-Jul-17 00:43:30

I think they're spot on.

Needless waffle in emails does my head in. Yours are helpful & succinct

LeakyLittleBoat Tue 18-Jul-17 00:43:56

Seems absolutely fine to me, I might go with 'good morning/afternoon X' rather than hi for someone I hadn't communicated with before and best regards rather than thanks but I honestly wouldn't have a problem with receiving an email like the one you sent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now