Talk

Advanced search

To think I can live my life without FaceAche, SnapCrap, Twatter etc?

(72 Posts)
Salmotrutta Mon 17-Jul-17 22:46:41

confused

I'm really wondering!?

I go into work blissfully unaware of the FaceAche stuff and have to actually converse with people who have shared all sorts of shite the minutiae of their life on FaceAche.

I then have no idea what they are on about.

But frankly it's usually a lot of pish anyway - but it's not very inclusive IFYSWIM?

Other colleagues come in and do all the "Ooh, I saw your photo, blah, blah blah" and I'm standing there saying "What are you talking about?" in a grumpy tone.

Sparklingbrook Mon 17-Jul-17 22:49:20

I seem to manage ok. I have no idea what crapola my friends and family post on social media, I am sure it is riveting though hmm.

HarryDresdensLeatherDuster Mon 17-Jul-17 22:50:44

Do what you want! I think they are such a normal part of life now that references to them are everywhere. Your choice whether or not to be involved.

Slimthistime Mon 17-Jul-17 22:55:37

Of course you can
I have Twitter but it's private and I'd never let a work colleague follow me. My work life and real life are completely separate.
I would just ignore those comments, why do you need to get involved anyway? You can have good relations at work without having social media.
There's always going to be chats you don't know about, it's just life.

BenLui Mon 17-Jul-17 22:57:40

Lots of people don't have social media. It's not uncommon.

SandyDenny Mon 17-Jul-17 22:59:36

Of course you can, none of those things are compulsory but it you chose not to do social media you might miss out on topics of conversation just as you would if you didn't watch TV

Not something to get too excited about either way imo

BlahBlahBlahEtc Mon 17-Jul-17 23:00:02

MN is as close to social media as I get. I'm really not that interested in what people had for breakfast that morning or how snotty their kid is that day.

PoppyPopcorn Mon 17-Jul-17 23:01:00

Having a social media presence isn't compulsory. But a lot of people enjoy sharing all sorts of things and it's fairly normal to comment to someone else that you saw a pic of an event or something.

You have chosen not to get involved which is fine but then you can't whine about being excluded or not knowing what's going on.

FlowerFairyLights Mon 17-Jul-17 23:05:13

No. without mn and fb what would I do to ease the boredom and dreary emptiness of life...

Sparklingbrook Mon 17-Jul-17 23:06:46

If there's anything going on I tend to get a text/email or phone call.

FirstSnowfall Mon 17-Jul-17 23:07:37

I use social media daily. I rarely post, don't do selfies or photograph my food. I don't tag myself at A&E or Hun people.
But there's this smugness about people who claim not to use it. Like it makes you more legitimate or something. Its so grating.

FlowerFairyLights Mon 17-Jul-17 23:08:14

Moore seriously a lot of communication between school mums/chat/arranging meeting up happens on fb messenger or WhatsApp

Salmotrutta Mon 17-Jul-17 23:08:30

I suppose I notice "cliques" at work who are all into Facebook or Snapchat groups and it's a bit isolating for people like me who don't "do" social media stuff.

I don't rely on work for friendships but I do think it's quite rude to effectively exclude people by trumpeting about peoples Facebook posts.

But maybe I'm old fashioned - i probably am!

Sparklingbrook Mon 17-Jul-17 23:09:19

I am actually part of a WhatsApp group. <modern>

ParadiseCity Mon 17-Jul-17 23:11:15

It used to be that people sneered at TV and now they seem to sneer at social media.

Slimthistime Mon 17-Jul-17 23:14:02

"I don't rely on work for friendships but I do think it's quite rude to effectively exclude people by trumpeting about peoples Facebook posts."

Would you think that if they talked about a tv show or sport you don't watch, do etc.

myrtleWilson Mon 17-Jul-17 23:16:51

I use social media for both personal and professional lives. I get why people choose not to but I don't see the need to sneer -which you did with your OP title

Salmotrutta Mon 17-Jul-17 23:16:59

FirstSnowFall - I'm not being smug.
I'm being someone who has actually felt quite isolated because I've had to listen to conversations that revolve around Facebook posts.
Literally just Facebook posts.

indigox Mon 17-Jul-17 23:18:08

Obviously not if you're on here whining about being left out because of a choice you made whilst looking down your nose at them because they dare use social media. It's no difference from them all talking about a shared interest which you don't happen to have.

ExplodedCloud Mon 17-Jul-17 23:21:34

I use FB but that's it. I have hardly any colleagues on FB so to all intents and purposes at work I'm not on it. I post very little on my wall but I comment and message.

Salmotrutta Mon 17-Jul-17 23:22:46

myrtle - ok, you think I'm sneering. That's fine and obviously your right to think that.
I will admit that I question the need to endlessly post stuff about your daily life - my adult DC are users of social media and I know enough from what they have told me to know it's not for me.

BeachyKeen Mon 17-Jul-17 23:25:41

It's only self isolating. You can choose to in it, it's free, but you have chosen not to. That is your prerogative, but your choice of action is what is resulting in this outcome.

Salmotrutta Mon 17-Jul-17 23:31:10

indigox and Slim - but it would be unlikely that most people at work would share the same hobby surely?
All I'm saying is that I feel isolated when I go into work and there are lots of people going on about someone's "selfie" showing an outfit/event/activity for something and they have all seen it in some post or other and because I have a Facebook account I'm excluded.

Salmotrutta Mon 17-Jul-17 23:33:21

OK.

I can see I'm not explaining my feelings well.

I'll bow out.

thecolonelbumminganugget Mon 17-Jul-17 23:34:13

I'm not trying to be mean here but you say you feel isolated because other people talk about social media, but you've gone out of your way to not engage with social media. Unless they deliberately use methods of communication with the intention of excluding you then it's your issue not theirs. If you ask them to show you how to join in and they refuse then that's a different story.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now