Talk

Advanced search

AIBU for wanting to start a Digital Decluttering / Decorating Group...

(16 Posts)
NamedyChangedy Mon 17-Jul-17 17:24:23

...or something along those lines. The idea has just occurred to me so not fully fleshed out yet, but bear with me...

So I'm imagining a group of 3-4 of us - like-minded people who have fairly similar interiors tastes but could be scattered around the country, maybe with kids of similar ages but not necessarily?? We might be at the stage where our homes have got a bit out of control, and want to get them back to being the elegant, clutter-free havens that we imagine them to be. We'd probably communicate via Whatsapp a few times a week, sharing update pics, giving tips / hints etc. Super informal.

We moved into our house 7 years ago when I was pregnant with DC1 and have done very little absolutely nothing to it since, so it's in need of some TLC. Before we start making things look nice we need to have a big clear-out and are having builders in over the summer - lots to be done. Also, we used to have a super-organised nanny who would re-organise cupboards and cull old clothes etc. in her spare time. But since she left about a year ago things have piled up.

I thought this might be easier with an element of anonymity, hence asking strangers off the internet - I'd be too embarrassed to share the contents of my cupboards with school mums or my NCT group for instance. I would ask my sister for help but she's obsessively tidy so I don't think we'd be a good match. At the other end of the spectrum my mum is a borderline hoarder and has very different tastes to mine!

Would anyone be interested in seeing if this would work? I work best when I have some accountability and have to report back to someone about how I'm getting on. Equally, let me know if it's a ridiculous plan for any reason. Thanks!

user1480267413 Mon 17-Jul-17 18:33:48

I think that this sounds a very good idea. I am hoping to move soon and really need to get things in order. I have started a mood board of colours etc. for new home.

NamedyChangedy Mon 17-Jul-17 22:56:41

Ah great - just you and me so far user.

That's exciting - roughly how long is it until you move? And will your new place needs lots of work, or is it just cosmetic stuff?

1stTimeMama Mon 17-Jul-17 23:02:45

I think its a winner. I love house tomorrow and have far, far too many boxes! The house we're moving to Id smaller, so all of the crap we own, is going to make the place look even more cramped than I'm imagining it to be. KonMari is my method of choice at the moment.

1stTimeMama Mon 17-Jul-17 23:03:40

Not love, move. Why phone, why?

NamedyChangedy Mon 17-Jul-17 23:12:21

Gosh - late night for you then 1stTime? Hope the move goes smoothly... I managed to KonMari my clothes a while ago but am in need of another round or two.

SlatternIsTrying Mon 17-Jul-17 23:21:28

When I first joined Mumsnet it was because I was pulled in by the housekeeping board. At that time there was a long running list thread that was just people listing what they needed to do and then reporting back progress.

Although it did eventually run out of steam it was oddly effective as you wanted to post your progress.

I know that is not what OP posted about but the post reminded me of it. I highly recommend the housekeeping board for anyone trying to keep themselves on track.

TheABC Mon 17-Jul-17 23:30:10

I would join! Moved in two years ago, managed to get the kitchen and garden done - then progress was derailed by falling pregnant with DD. I am now trying to get the hallway and upstairs bedrooms painted. It's sloooow progress as we can only do it when the kids are asleep and the toddler is up until 9:30pm!

AnonymousNovelist Mon 17-Jul-17 23:34:04

I'd love to do this!

NamedyChangedy Tue 18-Jul-17 14:56:48

Ooh great, we have some takers!

@AnonymousNovelist
@TheABC
@1stTimeMama
@user1480267413

OK, so before we jump in maybe we should agree on some ground rules. How about if we aim to have a fixed period of time (maybe a month??) that we do it for, to avoid us burning out.

And we could all share a particular project that we want to crack in that time (so many to choose from - eek!), or about 3-4 areas of our homes that we want to prettify somehow?

What do you all reckon?

NamedyChangedy Tue 18-Jul-17 14:58:38

SlatternisTrying (great name btw) - thanks for the prompt, I'll check it out...

TheABC Tue 18-Jul-17 15:58:36

rolls up sleeves
finds paintbrush

Shall we keep it easy and say, the sum.er holidays? That's six weeks, allowing for people going away.

My aim is to finish the damn hallway, add fabric curtains to the wardrobes in our bedrooms, get the front windows replaced and stay sane!

NamedyChangedy Tue 18-Jul-17 18:12:00

Nice! And good plan re. end of summer, that should be more realistic.

I think I'll start with my bedroom, where all our household crap goes to die. I have a mahoosive ikea wardrobe that was meant to be temporary 7 years ago. I'd like to get proper built-ins in the alcoves on either side of the chimney breast but that might have to wait. For now, it needs a good clear-out, a lick of paint and a cracked window replacing. I might do a proper list so I can check stuff off as I go.

I would post pictures but I'm not super comfortable having them on a public forum. Let me know if you'd be happier to share 'offline' and I can PM you all?

AnonymousNovelist Tue 18-Jul-17 21:32:04

Ooh, perfect. I'd like to sort our bedroom out. Currently the alarm clock lives on the floor! :-/

I'd prefer to do it offline, you might've guessed by my username. Want to PM me?

Queenofthestress Tue 18-Jul-17 22:00:38

Me tooooo! I'm all for decluttering!

NamedyChangedy Wed 19-Jul-17 09:32:07

OK great - have hopefully sent you all PMs. You too Queenofthestress - what's your main project going to be?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now