Talk

Advanced search

Council house

(213 Posts)
Snoreborewhoreee Mon 17-Jul-17 09:24:24

My situation currently is me, my partner and three children living with my mom in a 3 bed house, it is very cramped, and I feel awful for taking over my moms house.. I've been on the council housing list for a long time and unfortunately we just don't earn enough to private rent.. Basically my question is, two houses down a family have just moved out and I was wondering whether if/how I could go about asking the council if we could have it before they put it up for bidding? I'm not sure if this is a possible thing or if they will just tell me to get lost basically? Any advice or same situations would be appreciated?

reallyreallyreallytired Mon 17-Jul-17 09:27:50

There is no way you will get first dibs just because you want it. You will have to wait I'm afraid, it must be very frustrating for you. Have you any idea how long the wait is in your area? In ours it's about 2 years.

VeryButchyRestingFace Mon 17-Jul-17 09:29:43

I would be astonished if they just let you have it and not put it up for bidding.

You could always ask though. What makes you think you have a case?

Lj8893 Mon 17-Jul-17 09:31:06

It will still have to be placed on the bidding system I'm afraid. There's nothing to stop you contacting the council to put your case forward in regards to that house though.

sooperdooper Mon 17-Jul-17 09:31:31

You can't jump the queue just because the location of the house is convenient for you, sorry but it's true

Where were you living before? How have you ended up all living with your mum?

Snoreborewhoreee Mon 17-Jul-17 09:31:45

I thought as much tbh, and I guess there are lots of families out there the same as me, just a dream of an idea I think lol
How would I find out the waiting time for my area?

RebootYourEngine Mon 17-Jul-17 09:32:18

You can ask but i doubt you will get it unless you are at the top of the list for that area.

witsender Mon 17-Jul-17 09:32:18

Yes, it doesn't work like that I'm afraid. Keep an eye out and bid for it.

Lj8893 Mon 17-Jul-17 09:33:13

In regards to the waiting time, when you bid on a property it should tell you what number you came in the list (once the property has been awarded to somebody) and should tell you what banding that person was.

GreenTulips Mon 17-Jul-17 09:35:54

You need to keep asking

Can your mom write you a letter saying you aren't welcome anymore?

Lj8893 Mon 17-Jul-17 09:36:21

I'm not bashing or judging you but in what way don't you earn enough to private rent? If one of you works full time at minimum wage you should be entitled to some housing benefit (and tax credits). Equally whilst you are living at your mums (rent free?) you could be saving towards future rent too.

I say that in the nicest possible way I promise. Myself and my dh have struggled financially in the past (recent past also) but have always managed to afford to pay the rent....just!

MumIsRunningAMarathon Mon 17-Jul-17 09:36:24

How far do you get with bidding?

MrsOverTheRoad Mon 17-Jul-17 09:37:27

You need to get on the list! Finding out about waiting times is pointless.

Get on the bloody list!

In the meantime, set about earning more money for God's sake. If that seems impossible then it's time to think about retraining.

x2boys Mon 17-Jul-17 09:39:39

my husbands ex did this and got the house but this was a long time ago and we are in the northwest no harm in asking though?

x2boys Mon 17-Jul-17 09:40:57

she is on the waiting list Mrs.

MeltorPeltor Mon 17-Jul-17 09:42:10

I'm not bashing or judging you but in what way don't you earn enough to private rent?
I rented up until 6ish years ago, I'm now a homeowner and a landlord and I'm shocked at the amount needed for a deposit (I calculated that we'd need around £4K up front to rent a family home) and the amount needed to rent a family home. A small house in our village is rented for over twice our mortgage payment on a bigger house. I can see how an ordinary family would find it a squeeze, let alone one on a low income.

Autofillcontact Mon 17-Jul-17 09:43:02

Why don't you get HB?

What about looking at a housing ascoaitiob?

There isn't much point finding out about waiting lists because they work on priority, if that makes sense. You should be fairly high priority with 3 kids and basically homeless. You need to do something about this!

Lj8893 Mon 17-Jul-17 09:43:45

Most councils offer no interest loans and/or funding towards private rent deposits for those on low incomes and in need of housing.

JaceLancs Mon 17-Jul-17 09:46:12

Waiting list is 5 years 6 months in my local council area

RebootYourEngine Mon 17-Jul-17 09:46:21

Lj most private landlords dont accept housing benefit and you cant get housing benefit if living with family.

x2boys Mon 17-Jul-17 09:47:13

regarding housing associations i dont know how it works in OP area but in my town there is one point of contact for bidding for all the council and housing association houses.

Lj8893 Mon 17-Jul-17 09:47:55

reboot I am aware of that but there are plenty that do too and the council should be able to provide a list of those that do.
I meant they can claim HB for when they find a property.

Autofillcontact Mon 17-Jul-17 09:48:08

Plenty of private landlords accept HB but mainly you can use it to pay housing associations

MuddyMoose Mon 17-Jul-17 09:49:14

MrsOverTheRoad

You need to read the original post! Not reading the orginal post before replying is pointless.

Read the bloody original post!

In the meantime, set about being a bit nicer for God's sake. If that seems impossible then it's time to think about leaving a forum full of people asking advice.

Cowardlycustard2 Mon 17-Jul-17 09:51:55

Hi you need to check what band you are on for bidding on houses and also how many points you have against each category. Councils can add extra discretionary points against categories for example if you needed to be near a place of worship, kids schools or if the temp accommodation is causing health problems such as damp etc. If any of these apply you can ask school or health visitor to write a supporting letter for you and you may gain a few extra points that way. Even a few extra points can make the difference between winning and losing a house on bidding. What are ages and gender of DC?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now