Talk

Advanced search

To ask how I can treat breastfeeding thrush

(8 Posts)
NotAnotherUserName5 Wed 12-Jul-17 11:05:22

Posting for traffic, sorry but desperate and in pain sad

Dc is over 2 weeks old now and the past couple of days breastfeeding on one side has been so, so painful.

I had thrush during pregnancy, and it wouldn't budge. I'm pretty sure me and DC have oral/nipple thrush.

Doctors are shut today, and I desperately need to buy something to treat us. What can I buy over the counter?
Any tips/help appreciated.

ExPresidents Wed 12-Jul-17 11:26:22

I'm so sorry, I had this with DS and it was absolutely excruciating, I hope you're feeling ok. I took painkillers every four hours, I'd advise it if you can! If you take paracetamol then ibuprofen the next time you shouldn't go over max dose on either.

I also got Canesten from the pharmacy, ask the pharmacist which one is good for breastfeeding - I applied after every feed and wiped/washed off before feeding again. But to be honest the thing that helped most was antifungal meds from the doctor so I'd advise getting an emergency appointment ASAP.

In the meantime, change bras/breastpads frequently, wash your hands before and after every feed, and good luck. I really hope it gets better for you soon x

NotAnotherUserName5 Wed 12-Jul-17 11:40:50

Thanks.

Is it the normal red/white tube on canesten I can use?

Can I buy the anti fungal meds over the counter? I'm desperate!

bloodyhamabeads Wed 12-Jul-17 11:49:13

Ask the doctor for a 7 day course of 50mg of fluconazole. Fluconazole is the same medicine you can buy over the counter for vaginal thrush but the one off tablet is 150mg. I have had this with all 3 breastfeeding babies and having treatment now but be prepared for the doctor or nurse to check their book to see if it's suitable while breastfeeding but it is. Also try and get Daktarin (orange flavour gel) for baby's mouth or drops called Nystan (nystatin). Its wise to treat both of you so you don't pass it back to each other. Hope you feel better soon.

TheSlowLoris Wed 12-Jul-17 11:51:43

You definitely need to treat both of you else you'll just continue to pass it back and forth.

bloodyhamabeads Wed 12-Jul-17 11:52:58

Sorry I just noticed your doctor is shut.

This shows that over the counter fluconazole is ok breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/wp-content/dibm/thrush%20detailed%20information%20and%20breastfeeding.pdf

NotAnotherUserName5 Wed 12-Jul-17 13:39:24

Thank you everyone. Off to the chemist now!

whosafraidofabigduckfart Wed 12-Jul-17 13:43:15

Google dr jack Newman - he's a Canadian breastfeeding doctor who has a great website

He has a cream which chemists can make up (need prescription)

I also had to take tablets for 2 weeks (I think difluccan)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now