Advanced search

Another to go to A and E or not

(30 Posts)
NerosFiddle Tue 11-Jul-17 19:06:34

For background I'm 17 weeks pregnant and tonight I put a hot water bottle to my back to ease it. Well, the bottle burst and went all over my back. The water wasn't boiling but it was near enough. I don't want to waste the their time if I could just put some frozen peas to it.

MyNeighbourSnorlax Tue 11-Jul-17 19:10:04

I'd phone 111 and see what they say.

PurpleWithRed Tue 11-Jul-17 19:11:21

What does it look and feel like? Can someone take a photo for you? How big is the scald?

PurpleWithRed Tue 11-Jul-17 19:13:04

NHS advice here. NHS advice does indicate you should get it checked.

AHedgehogCanNeverBeBuggered Tue 11-Jul-17 19:16:17

It won't have harmed the baby (they're very well insulated) but do call 111 if you have significant blistering so they can advise. Not worth going to A&E unless you're in severe pain or the skin is badly damaged (I.e. worse than reddened/couple of blisters).

FittonTower Tue 11-Jul-17 19:18:10

My friend had a hot water bottle burst on her legs and spent 6 weeks in the burns unit and my husband spilt some broccoli water on his foot, ignored it and ended up with a serious infection. I'd get it checked out.

NerosFiddle Tue 11-Jul-17 19:19:17

We don't have 111 here sadly.

I'll try and take a picture if I can.

JennyBlueWren Tue 11-Jul-17 19:19:36

How much does it hurt?
I don't have any experience or proper knowledge of this but I don't think you need to go to A&E unless you've been scalded and then you'd really know about it and be in such pain you wouldn't be considering not going. I don't think being 17 weeks makes a difference but again this is based on nothing more than "I think". Perhaps phone your midwife if it's your pregnancy that your'e concerned about.
PS sympathies whether it is bad or not.

FenellaMaxwellsPony Tue 11-Jul-17 19:20:20

If you've burnt an area bigger than your palm i.e. That much is red, you should seek medical advice.

Camelsinthegobi Tue 11-Jul-17 19:22:00

Get cool water on it eg from a shower. Don't use frozen stuff. Then see how it looks/feels. If it's blistering very much or a biggish area is very sore then I'd go in. They have the right dressings and care advice to avoid infection.

Camelsinthegobi Tue 11-Jul-17 19:22:49

Ps cool water for at least 10 mins

PacificDogwod Tue 11-Jul-17 19:23:11

15 minutes of running cold water - not frozen stuff.

Then reassess.

Phone 111.

SloanePeterson Tue 11-Jul-17 19:25:56

Get in a cold shower with the head aimed at your back and stay there for as long as you can bare it. They wrap the skin in some cling film and go to a walk in centre. I dropped a whole cup of hot tea onto my lap recently and went into complete shock but managed to Google as I had absolutely no idea what to do, and this was the advice. I was dressed with a special kind of net-like silicone desssing and the damage was nowhere near as bad as it would have been had I not cooled the skin down immediately. You have my sympathy, the pain from a burn is awful enough without the added stress of pregnancy too x

regrouted Tue 11-Jul-17 19:29:18

Do not put ice on it - this can damage the skin further, particularly if there is deeper skin layers exposed and inhibit future healing.

Remove all the clothing covering your back and run cool water across it for 20 minutes - i.e. with a shower head sat in the bath/on the side of the bath if you are able to. This should be done as soon as possible.

If the burn is bigger than your hand, deep or any white skin then go to A&E.

NerosFiddle Tue 11-Jul-17 19:33:30

Excuse the picture it was the best I could get.

TheoriginalLEM Tue 11-Jul-17 19:39:27

id be inclined to wait and see. maybe put some manuka honey on it

Mammacino Tue 11-Jul-17 19:46:38

I've recently been told (by an A&E doctor) exactly what regrouted has recommended - that any time in the four hours following a scald you should run tepid - not freezing - water over it, for twenty minutes by the clock. Are you still in that time frame (sounds like it)? That apparently takes a lot of the heat out of it and will help with scarring. But I think it would be totally reasonable to have it looked at after that - esp as you're pregnant.

MsPassepartout Tue 11-Jul-17 19:49:11

Don't put honey on it!

Cool running water for burns, as pp have said.

Batfurger Tue 11-Jul-17 19:55:58

I wouldn't go to A&E with that- cold water and some paracetamol.

NerosFiddle Tue 11-Jul-17 20:29:11

I've run it under cold water for 20 minutes. Fingers crossed now

KeiraKnightleyActsWithHerTeeth Tue 11-Jul-17 20:32:08

Is the burn even in texture?
If not straight to ED.

SunnySkiesSleepsintheMorning Tue 11-Jul-17 20:43:20

Are there any open pharmacies near you?

Ginfiend Tue 11-Jul-17 22:22:51

Don't put any honey or creams etc on it!
Cold (not freezing) water as others have said.

I once out a frozen gel pack on a burn and ended up getting a freezer burn. Now that bloody hurts!

sparkli Tue 11-Jul-17 22:23:39

I did the same with a hot water bottle over my boobs and tummy. It hurt like fuck, so you have my sympathy. I ran cold water over it and then lay with towels soaked in cold water over the burn. A couple of days later I ended up in A&E as it got infected. I think it might be worth going to get checked out and have it dressed properly. If not, see your GP or nurse tomorrow.

Ginfiend Tue 11-Jul-17 22:24:01

Although. I'm pretty sure guidelines are any scald or burn bigger than the palm of your hand should be looked at by a dr.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: