Talk

Advanced search

To ask how you'd park on my drive???

(83 Posts)
ClusterBustering Tue 11-Jul-17 15:58:39

Since the house was built the road outside has become a busy A road. It's the last house before a cross road with lights. I've experimented with different ways of parking in the drive to make it clear, the problem being that I am so close to the lights that if I indicate left people presume you are turned left in another 10ft or so at the junction.

Note: street parking is not possible, either side of the main road a new parking zone starts, neither of which I live in to apply for a permit. The main road has double yellows. I cannot widen the drive or entrance to allow turning according to planning rules.

Option 1: drive in, problem it's then dangerous/ illegal to reverse off

Option 2: position self centrally in traffic to force a stop, problem is people obsessively drive at light and shout and sweat inching up your bumper whether you indicate/ use hazards/ hand signals. Many people even when they get what you want to do deliberately inch into the back bumper to try and force you out the way, about 1 in 6 attempts.

Option 3: so I've been lately pulling over on kerb, then as lights change to red I use a hand gesture and indicate to show I'm reversing onto the drive (I'm pdq at it!). But still drivers want to stop at the red light stop line NOW. Just had a guy leaning through the windows swearing with kids (age 2/4/6) quite scared of him. They then end up waiting at lights I. The same spot for a further 2 min. I have to swing out a bit onto the road to make the turn, but well on my side. At least this way I can't be stuck in the middle of the lane should someone insist on pulling alongside.

Is there an option for using my drive that doesn't involve swearing?? People just drive at the lights like manics.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 11-Jul-17 16:00:12

Reverse in.

GoonBridge Tue 11-Jul-17 16:00:18

Install a rotating driveway!

They seem to be popular around here but I'll bet they cost a fortune.

ClusterBustering Tue 11-Jul-17 16:02:48

I only reverse on... see whole post

ClusterBustering Tue 11-Jul-17 16:03:25

A fantasy goon, but I'd love one! No £ here!

JustArandomUser Tue 11-Jul-17 16:05:32

I was gonna say install a turntable 😂

Groupie123 Tue 11-Jul-17 16:05:58

Reverse in and stand your ground to the bullies.

Monkeybunkey Tue 11-Jul-17 16:06:25

Tricky one. If driving in, I'd move as far over to the right as possible, while indicating left, to make the turn into the driveway easier. That does however mean you need to reverse off your drive into the traffic. Not illegal, although the Highway Code (number 201) says "Do not reverse from a side road into a main road. When using a driveway, reverse in and drive out if you can.". Presumably to reverse in safely you'd need to stop short of your driveway, indicate right, then pull across the lane of oncoming traffic to be able to then manouevre into your driveway backwards? Or are there two lanes in each direction? Cracking diagram btw.

anchor9 Tue 11-Jul-17 16:06:42

sad i don't know but it sounds like a bloody nightmare. i can't stand impatient bullying male drivers.

ClusterBustering Tue 11-Jul-17 16:07:55

Downgrade your image of my house, east London tatty semi! Not smart, and I bet council wouldn't allow turntable, you can get away with 5 mattresses in your front garden round here but woe betide you add a bit of surfacing. I have a small concrete strip and weeds grass

FooFighter99 Tue 11-Jul-17 16:08:11

Get some sort of sign writing in your back window that says "Please back off/be patient whilst I reverse onto my drive" then surround it with flashing lights that activate when you put the car in reverse only half joking

People are always in such a rush aren't they, can't give you 2 bloody minutes to park properly!

BoobleMcB Tue 11-Jul-17 16:08:12

I probably wouldn't as it's YOUR drive. Parking on someine else's drive leads to MN shaming 😉😂😉😂

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 11-Jul-17 16:08:36

Option two but stop a few feet before the turn, hand signal and indicate that you are turning in frantically, drive forward a few feet and reverse in, ignoring arseholes. My Mum's drive is like this and we are reversing ninjas. grin

JustArandomUser Tue 11-Jul-17 16:09:58

How about one of those LED sign things, that says "please be patient while I reverse onto my drive" or something?

ClusterBustering Tue 11-Jul-17 16:10:21

I'm good at standing my ground and a confident driver, but frequently the bullies (men!) pull in the next lane to go round me and swear at / frighten kids. Alone I shout back, but my kids are learning a lot of swear words! They then end up stuck alongside me as I can't swing to reverse in and there's only a half car length in front of me

ClusterBustering Tue 11-Jul-17 16:11:14

I am imagining a 'fuck off' led light!

Need gin

Scentofwater Tue 11-Jul-17 16:11:26

Can you get keep clear markings painted on? There's a spot a bit like this near us and the closest drive to the lights has had this done. Admittedly it's a hotel, but still, if the lights are obstructing your drive it's surely worth asking!

Fluffybrain Tue 11-Jul-17 16:11:33

Rotating driveway starts at £15K but they can increase the value of the property.
Also how well do you know your neighbours and what kind of fence separates your properties? Could the fence be removed to enable you both more room to manoeuvre around?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 11-Jul-17 16:11:40

I only reverse on... see whole post

I did read your whole post and I answered your OP which was 'how would you park on my drive?'

HipsterHunter Tue 11-Jul-17 16:12:19

Is there room to do a million-point maneuver on your driveway to get turned around?

ClusterBustering Tue 11-Jul-17 16:12:50

Mrs Terry I did that, but frequently have those inching on my bumper! One guy even drove into me! His car was very dented, my pointy old box unmarked. People have waaaay too much rage. I can reverse like a ninja too!

ClusterBustering Tue 11-Jul-17 16:13:40

Dame. I don't really know how to explain that one further. But its not a massively useful answer

RainbowPastel Tue 11-Jul-17 16:14:30

I would put your hazard lights on and reverse in.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 11-Jul-17 16:15:43

Okidoke smile

ClusterBustering Tue 11-Jul-17 16:16:29

I guess asking for markings is worth a shot

Next door is rented and not really maintained, no working together. Also the issue is the front garden becomes a mud bath from turning, and is nigh impossible due to a tree (with a conservation order on it)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now