Talk

Advanced search

To change dts schools?

(16 Posts)
Prolificnamechangingnancy Mon 10-Jul-17 22:48:12

I'm having a bit of a wobble and have nobody to really talk to about whether I'm making the right decision or not.

Dts have been at a fantastic school since reception and have made some really good friends, however we live, on a good day 40 mins drive away from their school which means we have to be up early and it's ruining our home life.
The dcs are unable to have proper play dates and are unable yo even go out to play with their friends after school as by the time they've finished we get home late and end up eating crap and having no family time.
I've put their name down for a school within walking distance, which is apart of the same group of school that they already attend, however I'm having second thoughts about changing and how it will affect them, especially dts1 who suffers with anxiety and it's very hard for him to leave me ( he's only just stopped crying at morning drop off)
Dts2 is very social and plays with everyone, but only has one close friend, I'm just worried they won't make friends easily and have the potential to be bullied for being new.

I Also work very close to their current school so it's easy for me to collect them, although I have to wait around for an hour and half until I go to work after drop off and half and hour before pick up o feel as though my days are wasted.

I really don't know what to do, should I just stick with the journey or change schools?

OlennasWimple Mon 10-Jul-17 22:50:24

How old are they?

Prolificnamechangingnancy Tue 11-Jul-17 00:18:09

Sorry I thought I wrote their age. They're 6

RenaissanceBunny Tue 11-Jul-17 00:24:40

End end of Yr3 beginning of Yr4 is a natural change point in English schools I believe. Your DTs are in Yr2 currently so it is perhaps worth holding on for another year and then move them when they'd be moving from infants to juniors anyway.

ineedaholidaynow Tue 11-Jul-17 00:27:08

End of Y2 is usually seen as end of infants isn't it, as that is the end of KS1?

OlennasWimple Tue 11-Jul-17 01:23:14

Yes, KS1 goes to the end of Yr2, so a more natural break point.

But given how long the daily journey is, and how much longer they have got to go at school, I would look at moving them sooner. Don't worry about them being new - unless you live somewhere really insular, they won't be the new kids for very long, and will quickly make friends.

Your OP says that the current school situation is "ruining your home life" - those are pretty strong words. Do you really want five more years of that?

Prolificnamechangingnancy Tue 11-Jul-17 11:23:23

They're in yr1 so will be going into yr2 September.

The journey is the only thing swaying it for me to change, as I love the school they're at now.

Troels Tue 11-Jul-17 11:40:55

Move them, 40 minute drive all the way till high school sounds horrible. Waiting about over an hour for school to get out sounds awful. Use the local school let them make local friends and make it a bit easier on yourself.

Tazerface Tue 11-Jul-17 11:45:37

I would.

I have twins that were at an out of catchment school until end of Yr 2. They were there because they needed the SALT support, so we were lucky there was transport. Even this was a pain, making sure they were ready to go at 8am instead of just having to walk down the road.

They moved this year, beginning of Yr 3. They're now in separate classes, they still have some support (mainly for reading and writing as they're a bit behind) but it's so nice to be able to attend meetings, have kids home to play, to be able to leave the house at 0845 to get there well in time for 9am!

Definitely do it.

Prolificnamechangingnancy Tue 11-Jul-17 11:56:24

That's exactly it tazer we have to leave @8am just to get through traffic and most days we're late, I don't know how many times I've been pulled in to the office about their attendance because they're a minute or so late.

They're in separate classes now and will also go into separate classes in the new school.

Pleasestoplickingthetv Tue 11-Jul-17 12:02:10

Is it possible you can move house?

Prolificnamechangingnancy Tue 11-Jul-17 12:16:50

We're In temporary accommodation which is why we're in this situation, I tried holding out in the hopes they would move me back to that area, but they are going to keep me where I am.

Pleasestoplickingthetv Tue 11-Jul-17 12:18:40

Ah ok. Children being happy at school is very important. But that's not to say they can't be happy elsewhere.

Prolificnamechangingnancy Tue 11-Jul-17 15:17:52

I know, I'm sure they will be happy It's just me having a wobble and worrying.

Tazerface Tue 11-Jul-17 17:08:42

They're very adaptable at that age smile my boys left a class of ten to going into separate classes and I worried we had done the wrong thing.

They are thriving, they are both very popular and love school. I feel so lucky we chose this school - my younger son goes there as well (Reception) and he loves it just as much!

Ask them how they feel. I expect they'll love the idea!

Prolificnamechangingnancy Tue 11-Jul-17 19:12:02

They're excited and do want to change just so they can ride their bikesgrin

I guess as I said in my op I have nobody to discuss all this with as their dad isn't very intrested, I just wanted to make sure that I'm doing the right thing for the right reasons.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now